Found Some Hat Lovers (at work, even!)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Found Some Hat Lovers (at work, even!)

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

It's been really cold and windy here in SE Georgia the last few days, so I've been wearing my Christys to work in the mornings. It actually looks very good with the navy blue overcoat and a tan overcoat I've been wearing.

Anyway, the guys at work, who are notorious for picking and making fun have all decided to buy hats after seeing mine! (Even the Boss, who always has some wise crack about how someone's suit is too small, or too brightly colored, or whatever said the fedora looked very "professional").

Oh yeah, I got some "Hey Indy!"'s from them, and that's fine because it doesn't bother me at all. But what really made the day was when several of them came to me after getting settled in my office and wanted to know all about the hat: where'd I get it, how much was it, what colors can they get it in, etc. It sure was nice to find some hat guys among us, especially some people I never would have thought. Nice surprise.

So...don't be at all surprised if some newbies start showing here at COW.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Found Some Hat Lovers (at work, even!)

Post by BendingOak »

That's it, spread the word. Always good to hear or should that be read that there are new people picking up hats.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

So...did you point them toward Christies, or did you show them all their choices?
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

maboot38 wrote:So...did you point them toward Christies, or did you show them all their choices?

We had a hat educational morning.

I told them about the differences between felts, and then explained where one could find hats made from them. I especially mentioned some of our COW people's web pages, so hopefully they will take a look. Might even make a sale. I wasn't promoting anyone's hat specifically, but I certainly did explain to them that hats were like shoes and suits: you get what you pay for!
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

John's cash register just went: "Ka Ching!!!!"
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

That's great, man. Don't let people get on your case because you look handsome in your hat.

The people who comment on your hat(whether back-handedly or not) are actually secretly wishing they could have a hat like that, and have the cojones to walk around wearing it proudly.

During all the shopping I've been doing this holiday season I get some "looks". But a lot of the times they are from old-timers. Like 70+ fellas. And I have an emotional lump in my throat when I realize that they appreciate my hat almost as much a I do. They just don't sell hats like we wear at the shops. Unfortunately it's mostly exclusive internet shopping still.

It breaks my heart when some old guy asks me where I got my hat and I have to tell him that I ordered it on the internet from Australia.

EDIT: on a side note, I went to a hatter the other day. It was Henry the Hatter in Detroit. It bummed me out when I started talking to the guy running the store. I was asking about their refurbishing service. Anyway, I was bummed that I knew more about hats than he did. Actually, I probably FORGOT more about hats than he ever knew. I guess some people are passionate about certain things and some people are not. But it irks me when people try to pretend like they care when they clearly don't.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

So did your co-workers and boss actually order some hats? If so, we will need to see some group shots of everyone in their hat one day.