For old time's sake..

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

For old time's sake..

Post by whiskyman »

Didn't expect to ever be posting in this section again! However, having sold off my own personal 10ft, and having a hide and half of roohide lying around, I decided to make one more whip - for old time's sake. To be honest, it has been so long since I made a whip, I was hoping to sell the hides to Indy Breineder - but he didn't have any need for them at the moment, being very busy with his other leatherwork. No choice then, other than to let the hides dry out, or to make them into a whip. Plus, I realised I really should have something to keep in the family to show for all the effort I put into learing the craft. So this one is going to be for display only. I haven't really cracked whips for a year or more anyway.
I'm quite happy with how it turned out - especially after such a long time. My hands are killing me though as they are no longer used to the work!!! I feel quite proud that I was able to hone my skills to make something like this, so it'll be nice to show it to any future generations. And on to some pics...
lelec2
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: For old time's sake..

Post by lelec2 »

Great whip, excellence work! :clap:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Beautiful work and a wonderful whip! I really like the idea that you´re keeping it on display to show it to the future generations. :TOH:
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

To be honest, Nick, that's your best looking bullwhip to the date :TOH: Congrats!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Beautiful whip! Very nice job. :TOH:
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Well done Whiskyman.
C
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

It is a shame that this will be your last whip. :(
You do beautiful work, I hate to see such a great talent not put to use.
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

beautifull!!! you've done-once again- wonderfull work!!! I love all your indy whips!

jp
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

You're too kind. Although I stuck religiously to David Morgan's bullwhip design, I always had aspirations of reaching the level of Joe Strain's whips. I've owned a lot of whips in my time - several Morgans, a couple of Winrichs a few delCarpios and three Strains and while all those whips were terrific in many ways - to me, Joe's had the edge. Morgan's classic and flawless design (which practically every whipmaker has adopted and yet didn't exist until David created it), and simply the most perfect craftmanship and really the best balance and perfect taper. His 10fts flow as effortlesly as 8fts. I never managed to balance or taper a 10ft that well. Which goes to show - you can learn a craft, but talent is talent.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Nick, beautiful whip especially the very subtle taper on the handle.

It's a #### shame if you put those skills away.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Wow! It is perfect! Truly a keeper!

Thanks for sharing!

Franco
kriegfeld jr
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by kriegfeld jr »

Fine whip!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Nick, as always. Fantastic work. It hurts me to read that you are hanging up your craft. Always loved your work and very sorry I don't own one of your great works of art my friend.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Thanks guys. Basically I stopped about a year ago anyway. The thing is, I really couldn't afford to keep going on a small part time scale. The taxation meant that I barely made a profit on my whips and in fact, if I had worked the same number of hours in a supermarket I'd have made much more money! #-o But of course I wasn't in it for the money and was just privellaged to have enough customers willing to buy my work and thus finance my continued work. I learned so much along the way. But I also have a full time job and a family so investing more time and money in making a bigger go of the whip work was always out of the question. Fortunately there is a great choice of fine whipmakers now - more than when I started - so it won't make much difference to Indyfandom.

Regarding this particular whip... I had intended not to use it and keep it mint. Seems my daughter thought differenty - as she sneaked out with it to show off with her friend and try and crack it in the garden. After being initially furious about the scuffs and dirt (she was whacking it on the concrete pavement!!), not to mention the disobediance and potential injury factor... I realised she had sort of done me a favour in forcing me to use the whip. And I have been using it, and enjoying it too. I als switched the saddle tan knot to a natural tan. I just prefer the look.

To end this rambling.. one of the reasons I had to make myself this 10ft was that I still really hope I can visit David Morgan next summer (assuming Mr. Morgan is in good health) and I'd love to show him my whip and have him crack it. That would be the cherry on the cake of my whipmaking career. Bending Oak was kind enough to take one of my whips along on his visit to Morgan a couple of years ago, and I've spoken on the phone several times - but it's not the same as being there in person! I hope I'm lucky enough to yet have the chance. :whip:
Eloquent 1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Eloquent 1 »

That is a very fine piece of functional artwork; it is clear you are one of the blessed few to have this talent and skill. To be even reasonably good at this (and other crafts for that matter) requires intense dedication. Perhaps your children will pick up whipmaking one day?
You set a fine example :)