Harrison's physical specifications

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Harrison's physical specifications

Post by knibs7 »

I've been thinking for a while now, but just now got around to asking- Does anyone happen to know Harrison's specs on ALL the gear:
Jacket
Pants
Shirt
Gun Belt
Web Belt

I know he wore a size 58 hat and his shoes were 10.5

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kyle
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Harrison's specs

Post by donovan »

pretty sure the crystal skull jacket was 44"reg.pants i read somewhere were 34 waist.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Look at your Making of Indy book at the page where Ford is in his American Graffiti costume. All of his measurements are there.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

agent5,

I did look in my "making of" book, but I was just wondering if the measurements might have differed slightly due to different costume pieces. For example, I didn't know if he wore the same size in blue jeans (American Graffiti) as he did in the Indy trousers.

Kyle
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Well, at least you have a good starting point. I'd have to say that whatever the measurements would be they'd be pretty close to whats on that page.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Dont forget that as you age, some of your 'specs' change, no matter how good-a-shape youre in. The span from 1st to last movie was, what, 27 years?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

scottyrocks6 wrote:Dont forget that as you age, some of your 'specs' change, no matter how good-a-shape youre in. The span from 1st to last movie was, what, 27 years?
True, but Harrison said that Bernie sent the costume to him before production started on Indy 4 to see where they would have to alter the measurements, so he tried it on and set "it fit like a glove." But I agree with you, scottyrocks6- Even as good of shape Harrison was in for the fourth installment, I just can't see him being able to fit in the original costume. Like you said, no matter how in-shape you are, time just naturally takes its toll on certain things. I would think that size would definitely be one of them. :-k

Kyle
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

what size jacket was he in raiders? 42?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

donovan wrote:pretty sure the crystal skull jacket was 44"reg.pants i read somewhere were 34 waist.
Smaller than a 44, and not a 'reg' since it was custom sized to him. The arms are long.
Not too different size actually from the Raiders jacket.

Sizes of that jacket are on the TN web site.

Kyle, did you do a search? I remember an old post listing all those sizes.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

I copied this from a site that had Noel Howards measurements for Ford. Although, I think the height is off.. :-k

Harrison Ford's sizes :

5' 9 1/2" (1.765 m) height, 40 chest and 34 waist with a 15 1/2" collar.

Shirt : Medium
Trousers : 34"
Web belt : 44"
Gunbelt : 38"
Bag Strap : 65"
Boots : 10.5
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

The web belt size looks a bit off as well.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

The shirt should be a LARGE and the neck should be 16. Sleeves are I believe are 34. The boots are 10.5D.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

It depends when these measurements were taken. Around the time of Raiders, I can see how he'd be a medium shirt size with 15 1/2" collar.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

If you look at Fords build in Raiders when he has his shirt off in the Bantu Wind cabin, he is slim. It looks like he could pull of a medium shirt. As far as the web belt, he wears it with a lot of slack, but I'm not sure its that much. Then again, these could have been the first eyeball measurements by NH. All before any modifications to the fitting were done.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I just assumed that when Harrison said that Bernie sent the stuff from the archives that he was referring to the original 3 movies costume. :-k

Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I kinda figured that Harrison didn't really know (and probably didn't care) about ALL that was going on. I knew he was actually there for the jacket fitting. So it's probably safe to say that he just misunderstood. I trust you _, that's why I hoped you would chime in. :TOH:

Kyle
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

All I know is, between the Ford size Raiders jacket and Ford size CS jacket there is very little difference as far as 'fit dimensions' go. This would indicate to me Ford's physical dimensions have not changed much.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I kinda figured that Harrison didn't really know (and probably didn't care) about ALL that was going on. I knew he was actually there for the jacket fitting.
I don't know about the sequels but Nadoolman told me that Ford was quite involved and cared quite a bit how the costume was to look for Raiders. Then there's the Alden angle. That was all him as Nadoolman still to this day doesn't think he wore them.
I just assumed that when Harrison said that Bernie sent the stuff from the archives that he was referring to the original 3 movies costume.

It was my assumption that the older costume pieces were sent over to Bernie more for the sake of getting the designs as they wanted based off the old costumes. I'd have to think that since they were making all new wardrobe for the character that they would have no real concern about sizing issues on the old wardrobe.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

They sent it to Harrison to see where they would have to change sizes, but Harrison said it fit like a glove.

Kyle
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

I seem to remember Ford saying in an interview "the pants might not fit anymore, but I know the hat does" probably just a sound bite with no real "truth" to it. Personally just from seeing people get older I'd say there would be a fair bit of "spread" in the mid-section, so I doubt if he could still fit into the Raiders pants.

Scott
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I've always thought any of the "fit like a glove" comments were all tongue in cheek. He needed something to say in all those interviews and this was one comment he made several times. Plus, it throws out the hint that he was in great shape indicating that Indy is back and in full form. I'm sure if he said he gained several pounds and was out of shape it would mean a little something in regards to the character as well. In other words, did anyone expect him to say anything else?
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Not saying he wasnt in shape, clearly he is for a man over 60, just that dody shape changes over the years. You can see the differnce in all four movies.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Your read on his being in shape (he was and still is) and the 'fits like a glove' was kind of a running joke. There was another joke involving a glove but it is too off-color for me to post.

There was a measurement concern in the fit for the trousers and the shirt. Neither are intuitive or related to him not being 'in shape.' They relate to the natural aging process.
From what we can see in the film he's in amazing shape for his age. Amazing. I know from the beginning there were jokes about his age and shape and he shut up all the naysayers. That comment always struck me as an inside comment thought up by a publicist to ensure the public that the star of the film was indeed in great shape, reiterating that the movie is not in jeopardy of failure due to his older age. A comment like that can actually get more people in the seats.
davex247
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by davex247 »

knibs7 wrote:
I know he wore a size 58 hat
Harrison Ford is a 22 7/8” or 58,1cm, give or take a bead of sweat ;)
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

It's amazing the info you guys have. According to the info you put out, I would fit perfectly in Ford's Raider's gear(I hate calling it a costume)
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

I dont like calling it a costume either. Wardrobe sounds better or "the gear", "the garb", "the outfit", "the attire" and on and on....
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

I'm just surprised I'm the same height as HF. I imagined him taller.
Toht
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Toht »

knibs7 wrote:I've been thinking for a while now, but just now got around to asking- Does anyone happen to know Harrison's specs on ALL the gear:
Jacket
Pants
Shirt
Gun Belt
Web Belt

I know he wore a size 58 hat and his shoes were 10.5

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kyle

Are you planning on making some customizations to your body to be a little more SA? ;)

have any of you die-hard fans done this? maybe lost weight? worked out? even a little cosmetic surgery in the name of screen accuracy? I've heard of sumo wrestlers that need to meet a certain height requirement put silicone implants in their scalps;)

edit: I almost forgot... the chin scar perhaps? ;)
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Toht wrote:Are you planning on making some customizations to your body to be a little more SA? ;)

have any of you die-hard fans done this? maybe lost weight? worked out? even a little cosmetic surgery in the name of screen accuracy? I've heard of sumo wrestlers that need to meet a certain height requirement put silicone implants in their scalps;)

We have roughly the same hat size... as for the chin scar............

I already have one. It's been with me since I was a kid, but it's only a thin line and you'd hardly notice it. Hahaha!
ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ravencrow »

(I copied this from a site that had Noel Howards measurements for Ford. Although, I think the height is off.. :-k

Harrison Ford's sizes :

5' 9 1/2" (1.765 m) height, 40 chest and 34 waist with a 15 1/2" collar.)

Harrison in height would be 5,10 or 11 i looked at all the measurements and he's the same size as me all the way except my shoulders (or jacket) which is 44 and his at the time of raiders was a 40. he might be a little bigger now due to age. My hat size is even 71/2

sorry i wasn't sure how to put the quote in a box..
Toht
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Toht »

fenris wrote:as for the chin scar............I already have one. It's been with me since I was a kid, but it's only a thin line and you'd hardly notice it. Hahaha!
Nice, I guess the chin scar falls into the 'distressing' catagory... the question being, do you distress your face? (preferably not with a pocket knife and wire brush :anxious: ) or allow life to distress it for you over time;)

sorry for being off topic... or am I? :-s
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

knibs7 wrote:
scottyrocks6 wrote:Dont forget that as you age, some of your 'specs' change, no matter how good-a-shape youre in. The span from 1st to last movie was, what, 27 years?
True, but Harrison said that Bernie sent the costume to him before production started on Indy 4 to see where they would have to alter the measurements, so he tried it on and set "it fit like a glove." But I agree with you, scottyrocks6- Even as good of shape Harrison was in for the fourth installment, I just can't see him being able to fit in the original costume. Like you said, no matter how in-shape you are, time just naturally takes its toll on certain things. I would think that size would definitely be one of them. :-k

Kyle

I have to disagree with you my good friend barney was 5'9'' tale at 155 lbs. He was that size at age 21 and was the same at the age of 91. He could still fit the same uniform he wore in WWII.

Again. I have a hard time buying Ford was smaller than 6 feet. I will get you proof ounce and for all and settle the height of Ford. I'm kinda shocked that no one ( and that includs myself) hasn't thought of this. Stay tuned. I'll get back to you.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

From what we can see in the film he's in amazing shape for his age. Amazing.
If you look at HF when they were in Cannes promoting CS his arms (biceps) are even bigger than in ROLA or TOD. More solid muscle build than the sinewy look.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

He's about 5'10".
My friend met him on "Fugitive" and this is where he put him as well. My buddy is 6'2" and he said that without any question Ford was shorter then he was and said he was around my height, which is 5'10".
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

_ wrote:BO - While he may have been, he is simply not as tall as he was. People shrink naturally, and he did accellerate the process via injuries. He's about 5'10".
Very surprising. Always thought HF was still around 6'. Nice to know at 5' 10 1/2" I'm pretty close to SA. :-
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Harrison's physical specifications

Post by agent5 »

I bet his wallet has pulled him down a couple of inches over the years.
Toht
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Toht »

_ wrote:A man's size 36 jeans really are 38... Most men's shoes now have some kind of lift...
but aren't jean sizes a tailor's measurement of the smallest part of your waist? so the jeans would have to be bigger to fit a little lower.. i guess that only works it one doesn't have a gut though.

The shoe lift thing kills me... at 6'4"+ barefoot I have no desire to wear lifts... but every dress shoe has these giant soles. I can actually clip my head on a doorway in the wrong shoes if I get caught at the highest part of my stride.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I find it hard to believe he lost 3 inches in 30 years.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

_ wrote:
BendingOak wrote:I find it hard to believe he lost 3 inches in 30 years.
Agreed. I don't believe he's ever been more than 5'10". It was the late '70's. Cocaine wasn't addictive and Burt Reynolds hair was real.

When I saw him He was at least a couple of inches taller than me.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

You should be able to get an idea of how tall he should be by is clothing sizes.

Wasn't it said his pant inseam is 34", and shirt sleeve 34"? We know the jacket length front and back and where it falls on him which gives an idea of torso length.

From those things I think he was at least 6' .
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

_ wrote:The doctors from Lloyds put him at 5' 9.5" before shooting began for "Extraordinary Measures."
:lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

But did they measure him on location or on a sound stage? :Plymouth:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

fenris wrote:
Toht wrote:Are you planning on making some customizations to your body to be a little more SA? ;)

We have roughly the same hat size... as for the chin scar............

I already have one. It's been with me since I was a kid, but it's only a thin line and you'd hardly notice it. Hahaha!
I have a chin scar, as for the rest of me... I need to work on that! HAHAHA!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

_ wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:But did they measure him on location or on a sound stage? :Plymouth:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I believe it was at the Universal Hilton. Same place I stay. Just a few minutes from Universal and Warner lots - not quite so convenient for Paramount. But for that kind of premium? They'd have gone to Jackson Hole. And for that kind of premium - and liability? If they list his height or anything else? They freakin' measured him.

This is really silly... Not you, IJ. :TOH:
Thanks for the details. My comment was actually a reach at a joke refering to 'phantom soundstages' (ala the Bantu Wind) that would "alter" HF's height. Man, Bink makes it look so easy.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Even still, it's gotta be nice to actually have hard physical proof in hand to back up the recollections.

It would seem the height things falls into the same category...

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Better yet, usually it's 'There IS no bird! You made that up!' :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

"Smell? WHAT smell?" :[

Regards! Michaelson
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

The exterior scenes of boarding the Bantu Wind (either filmed day for night or at night) were shot in La Rochelle, France at the WW2 U-Boat pens. This is a deep-watet, protected harbor still in use toady.

This was the same location used in the film 'Das Boot' (everyone know's the full-scale submarine in Raider's was also the same full-scale mock-up that appeared in Das Boot) and a portion of the docks appear at the end of the film when the sub is bombed as the ill-fated crew returns from their combat partol. So this is where the U-Boat scenes were shot too, as both films were in production at roughly the same time and parts of the Das Boot sets were rented to be used by the Raider's production in June of 1980.

Other scenes, interiors, etc., would have been sets filmed at other locations.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

_ wrote:Sure it was...
Good to see you agree.

:) :TOH:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

_ wrote: Understood - I've come to realize that there are folks who will not believe some things no matter what you show them.
When I'm shown something tangible, anything, actually, to give credence a full-scale pier and ship were built as a set to film the brief exterior scenes of boarding the Bantu Wind, I'd be more than happy to consider it was in fact a set. :TOH:

I don't see this in any way, shape, or manner as something personal, by the way; this is simply a (banal) point of interest about a three-decades-old movie.