Ah the baby wipe! Help.

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Ah the baby wipe! Help.

Post by GoldenHistorian »

Hey all,
Long time no post so anyway earlier today I was doing some housework before I went to work and I was waring my federation so my head started to get pretty sweaty, So I got a waby wipe but if any of you have any experience of these things you end up getting 2 or four when all you need is one so I had one in each had and without thinking I lifted off my lid and after wiping my forehead with the other hand I realised that my brim was soaking wet because of the handwipe.
Now I am really worrying that any chemicals or alcohol in the baby wipe will kill or eat the felt, The damp patch is about a 4x2 rectange going the the base of the crown.

Many thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Ah the baby wipe! Help.

Post by Michaelson »

I'd wait and see if you have a problem first. Wait until it dries, THEN see what has occurred.

Personally I don't think you have an issue, as felt is usually cleaned in a dip of napha, so I'm doubting alcohol will do much if any damage. Keep in mind, if true 'baby wipes', those wipes were created to clean off a babies 'posterior', so I don't think there will be much of anything in there to damage felt. It's hair, remember? More than likely it will just evaporate out of the felt.

Once gone, just give it a good brushing.

Let it dry, then if there's an issue, post again so folks can scratch their head. Right now there's not much to offer you. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Yes - usually the wipes don't contain alcohol - they contain aloe and other natural "gentle on the skin" contents. I think you should be fine...fingers crossed for you.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Michaelson wrote: Personally I don't think you have an issue, as felt is usually cleaned in a dip of napha, so I'm doubting alcohol will do much if any damage. Keep in mind, if true 'baby wipes', those wipes were created to clean off a babies 'posterior', so I don't think there will be much of anything in there to damage felt. It's hair, remember? More than likely it will just evaporate out of the felt.
I agree...considering my kid has actually eaten the dang things before! #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, that's one way to make sure they're 'regular', I guess. :-k :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Giben,
It's been a few days since your hat got wet. What was the result?

Indiana MarkVII
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

At least you'll get the grease off the hat. :lol:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Dude, seriously, if you are worried about the chemicals in a baby wipe, and the first thing you think of is "I hope my hat is ok.", you have a serious problem with your priorities!!!! #-o

:) :) :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

maboot38 wrote:Dude, seriously, if you are worried about the chemicals in a baby wipe, and the first thing you think of is "I hope my hat is ok.", you have a serious problem with your priorities!!!! #-o

:) :) :)
Excellent point, maboot! No one asked 'did the wipe fry your babies, uh, posterior?' :-k

;)

Regards! Michaelson
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

LOL, sorry for the late reply guys i havent been on here for a while.
And I have to say, My hat is fine!!!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Glad to hear it! :TOH:

Is that kid in college now? :-k :CR:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I use baby wipes to clean the sweat band because of their gentleness. If theyre good enough for a baby's rump, theyre good enough for a leather sweatband, afaic.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I use alcohol to spot clean when a hat doesn't really need a naphtha bath. So no worries at all.
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Out of one problem and into another, Instead of making a new post I mayaswell recycle this one,
Okay i am going to guess that you have dettol Over there in the states? Ok well i have only recently just sprayed some of it on my door and guess what, my had was hung behind it (at the time is was sure I was wearing it) anyway i started at the bottom spraying this diluted dettol and worked my way up and a mist almost covered my Lid. anyway it had dried now and i would like to know how to check if any damage has occurred.
Anyway here is the Product description From their website (Uk Version)
Dettol Disinfectant Liquid
Kills 99.9% of bacteria on surfaces including Salmonella, Listeria, E.coli, MRSA and the flu virus.
Non bleach formula - won’t stain clothes or fabrics.
Use to disinfect virtually any surface around the home.
500ml bottle available in: Lavender & Orange, Sea Minerals and Lime & Lemongrass fragrances (MRRP £2.52).
I HATE Spring cleaning!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Giben wrote:Non bleach formula - won’t stain clothes or fabrics.

I'd say there's your answer right there. Just give it a good brushing and move along. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Ah, Thanks man!!
Although I do remember searching the forums and finding out that chlorine damages wools and felts?
I seriously need to keep this hat on my head!!!!!