The ultimate Indy whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The ultimate Indy whip

Post by Bruce Wayne »

If money was no object, what would your perfect whip be? What kind of hide? How about plaiting? What would the core be? Who would make it? Remember, money is irrelevent, so as Wille says, anything goes.
Thanx!!!
Charlie
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: The ultimate Indy whip

Post by Caber »

24plait , (not sure the collor ) 10 ' ,10 " handle frome eather Paul Nolan or David Morgan

8) Caber
Gaucho
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gaucho »

Hi

For me is a 8 foot, 16 Plait Last cruzade Indy bullwhip made by David Morgan.

:clap:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

8-foot David Morgan 16-plait Classic Bullwhip with 4-inch handle (like my DM custom).
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Whatever whip Harrison cracks in the Streets of Cairo scene.

I wonder who owns that whip now . . .

DHW
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

whipwarrior wrote:8-foot David Morgan 16-plait Classic Bullwhip with 4-inch handle (like my DM custom).

Four inch handle!!! That is almost a blacksnake to me. How does it handle, Whipwarrior? I'm curious.

:[ Right... My ultimate Indy whip. Traveling into the past and visiting David, and buying a 10ft bullwhip in 1981 (maybe a bunch, and selling them on Ebay?!!! :rolling: ). Or for that case, going to Glenn Randall, and ask him to sell me some used whips featured in a film called "Raiders of the Los Ark". :twisted:

All the best,

Aldo.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'll will be getting mine soon. The AB whip by Paul Nolan will be mine.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Gotta agree with Oak, the AB Bullwhip would be the one to buy NOW for me, not going back into the past or whatever.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Two words....Cecil Henderson....
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Marhala,

It handles like a standard-issue David Morgan, since the foundation spike is the same length. I just opted for a shorter grip section for aesthetic reasons; i.e. it makes the whip look a bit more dangerous, in my opinion, as opposed to the drawn-out 7 or 8-inch handle of the Indy movie whips. I did used to own a DM blacksnake years ago, but I sold it to finance this baby:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/222 ... 3709_o.jpg
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

My search for the ultimate Indy whip has led me to make the following purchases:

:whip:

1.10' KOTCS "J" series by Terry Jacka (should be arriving any week now)
2. 8' AB whip by Paul Nolan (on order, mine is #36!)
3. 9' Raiders SA whip by Bernardo Del Carpio (expecting it to arrive in the next couple of weeks--few people make 9' whips, not "SA" but it splits the difference, so I thought it would be worth having for sure!)
4. 10' Joe Strain "28th Anniversary Raiders Whip" (Joe's whip are beautiful, it's "SA", and it's not gonna cost an arm and a leg!)

:lol:

So, Four whips, all of them "SA" to some to degree, plenty to play with and plenty to compare. I mean, heck, they didn't use one whip on all four films, so there's no reason to expect that one whip could be the ultimate whip. (I also already have a Bernie Wojcicki 10' "Indy style" whip (not very SA, IMHO, but a really good whip), and an 8' Joe Strain "KOTCS" whip (a beautiful, well-made whip, but also not exactly SA).

So, there's my two cents. (Actually, this is all costing me a lot more than that!) ;)
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

whipwarrior wrote:Marhala,

It handles like a standard-issue David Morgan, since the foundation spike is the same length. I just opted for a shorter grip section for aesthetic reasons; i.e. it makes the whip look a bit more dangerous, in my opinion, as opposed to the drawn-out 7 or 8-inch handle of the Indy movie whips. I did used to own a DM blacksnake years ago, but I sold it to finance this baby:
Whipwarrior, thanks for the info. So you just asked for the TH to be tied even further back from the end of the spike? Am I correct? The shorter grip does make it look meaner. :twisted: :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, I just asked David to make the grip section shorter by 2 inches, which simply involves dropping the transition knot lower on the spike. It looks particularly lethal when you unroll the whip and lay it out straight on the floor. Like I said, the only way it could be better is if it were one of DM's 16-plait Classics. Those have some of the tightest, glass-smooth strands I've ever seen on a bullwhip:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2565/388 ... 4eea_o.jpg

=P~ =P~ =P~
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

whipwarrior wrote: Like I said, the only way it could be better is if it were one of DM's 16-plait Classics.

=P~ =P~ =P~

Thanks a lot for your comments!!! And couldn't agree more with you. That pic just makes me sad. I had to leave that whip when it showed up on *Bay. :-({|=
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Tell me about it. :x
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

While I’ve got a pretty good assortment of Indy bullwhips, I would like one of David Morgan’s whips made in the early 80s. Still for me the ultimate would be one of the film whips used by Harrison Ford…. Some day!

Dale, David must have liked how yours turned out; he started making them with the shorter grip after that. I’ve got a 8ft bullwhip in my collection, made by David in 2001 that looks a lot like your whip.
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4940/dscf0035l.jpg

In more recent years they have went back to a longer grip design though.

Dan
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Ooh, that DOES look nice! According to my paperwork, my whip was made in July/August 2001. David was feeling generous that year, it seems, and people reported getting a lot of customized details on their whips. That's cool that he made more whips like mine. I think they look very good with the shorter handle.
Greatdane
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Greatdane »

Already ordered my ultimate whip ;) one of those AB ones Paul is working on. I doubt I will buy any other whip.
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

It seems that David started making his "short" handled whips sooner than 2001, as my first Morgan was made in July/August 2000 and it has that shorter distance between the knots. It is worth mentioning that I did not request anything, other than specifying the length (8ft). It looks nearly identical to Whipwarrior's.

Here's a pic of it. It's the one on the left.

Below is another Morgan made in 2000, a 10 footer, and it has the same short visual handle length. It is next to an old Morgan, presumably from the 80s.

Bernardo
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Bernardo, 2000 seems to mark a noticeable change in the David Morgan bullwhip. Clearly something caused him to lower the position of the transition knots between December 1999 and July/August 2000. Your whip is a good example of that. We know that there was always some variation in the exact position of the knot from whip to whip, but they never seemed as extreme to me until after Dale's whip was made in Mid 2001. In anycase bring those 2000 DM whips next time you’re in the states, maybe we can get some side by side comparisons.

Just for fun here are 4 David Morgan bullwhips (L–R) made in late 1999, 2001, 1996 and 1989. It gives a good idea how the grip section evolved after The Last Crusade was released in 1989.

Sorry to keep de-railing your thread Charlie, We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Dan
ST
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ST »

Bernardo, 2000 seems to mark a noticeable change in the David Morgan bullwhip.
Well there was a lot people worried about y2k and that sort of thing, at that time. Maybe they were all hanging out at his shop. :anxious:

As for my ultimate Indy whip I think I already have it, a standard Mar. 09 10' DM. I remember the vary first roo hide whip that I ever saw was the picture of the 10' natural tan american stile bullwhip on the DM site. (sigh) :roll:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Interesting just how thick David's whips became over the years.