5.5 ft. Stockwhips by Mike Murphy

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

5.5 ft. Stockwhips by Mike Murphy

Post by ksteryous »

Hey guys,

I just recently acquired a pair of 5.5 ft. two-tone Mike Murphy stockwhips. They're used and I got them from this forum. Actually, my nephew and I went in together to buy them. Money was a little tight on my end, but this was a way for us both to get a great whip and still keep them together (in the family) as a pair as they were meant to be.

These are some of the lightest whips I've ever used. I thought my Joe Strain stockwhip was light, but these things are feather light, and super fluid. I guess part of their fluidity comes from the fact that they were already broken in when I received them, so there was no stiffness left in them. They're extremely easy to crack with the added benefit of not tiring you out because they weigh almost nothing.

Question: For those of you with Murphy stockwhips, do they tend to be lighter than most? Or does this have more to do with the fact that they're only 5.5 feet long?

Below is a quick pic and also a short video of one of the whips in action....I'm just not good enough yet with two whips to post a video of two-whip action...it's coming, though.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzlWIJAqKsI

Pic:

kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: 5.5 ft. Stockwhips by Mike Murphy

Post by kooniu »

next lovely whip- I start be jelous :P
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

My pair of Schultz Stock whips, 5.5 footers as well, are very light as well. They are hard for me to get used to having been using long heavy bullwhips mostly. That said they are coming around and I do enjoy the pain, ah challenge, working with one in each hand. Not very good at it, but trying.

That is a great pair!
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

ksteryous, I see where you got your stocks from. I think the original owner would be happy to see a fairly new whip enthusiast using them and continually approving. Murphy whips seems to always be super light weight. The pair of stocks that I used were 4 plait. For 4 plait, they were super nice whips but extremely light weight. I too was taken back considering I thought my Simon Martin stocks are lightweight. Apparently mine are, but they get lighter! :lol: Might I recommend some 2 handed dvd's specifically for stocks? They briefly cover single handed stocks as well to help get you going.
ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ksteryous »

WhipDude wrote:Might I recommend some 2 handed dvd's specifically for stocks? They briefly cover single handed stocks as well to help get you going.
Please do....as of now, I can basically only do synchronized cracks, and only the cattleman's and slow figure eight. I haven't even tried yet to do cracks where my two arms aren't synchronized together. I would love to pick up some DVDs, so feel free to recommend some, and thanks in advance.

Kenton
Will_Morgan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Will_Morgan »

I have one of Mike's 5 foot 4 plait kangaroo stockwhips, it is very light, but cracks really easily.. it's great.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Sounds like you are just starting with the 2 handed. I would highly recommend checking out Fundamental Whip Cracking Techniques by Mike Murphy. You can pick it up over at Western Stage Props. He is on a stage with a good setup so you can see the whips moving against a product back drop. Mike will give you the run down for some of the easier stuff. He'll start off easy and establish the differences of doing the whips together, staggered, and balanced. He'll give you some various routines. It's nothing complex but will get you prepared for 2 handed routines. It takes a little bit to get use to having 1 whip going in one direction while the other is going in another. A couple practices a week for a couple months and you'll be conditioned to move on to another dvd. I've seen some other 2 handed dvds and I wouldn't recommend any others. Simon Martin's is awesome but no way is it a good source for a beginner. Same with Murphy's other available dvds.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

ksteryous wrote:
Below is a quick pic and also a short video of one of the whips in action....I'm just not good enough yet with two whips to post a video of two-whip action...it's coming, though.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzlWIJAqKsI

Pic:

WOW! It is (they are?) amazing, indeed!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is as if the whip were a sort of martial artist... BANG! BOOM! KA-POW! :rolling:
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Beautiful whip and you handle it very well.

Jim
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

The Murphy stocks that I have handled are indeed some of the lightest, most responsive stockwhips I've tried.

I LOVE them.

Congrats on the buy, and good on you and the nephew for not breaking up the pair!

Lookin' good!

-Dan
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

That whip looks great... And like kooniu I'm starting to be jealous :P

How long is the handle?
ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ksteryous »

Kiscien wrote:That whip looks great... And like kooniu I'm starting to be jealous :P

How long is the handle?
I'm just trying to catch up you all you guys. ;)

The handle is roughly 21 inches from the bottom of the knot to the keeper.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Kenton, Mike's stock whips are pretty light, but are also very responsive and ideal for multiple cracking combinations. I'm really glad this matched pair went to a good home too :) I know they will be well looked after :tup:

BTW your whip work is looking very good, I'll also second that recommendation. Mike Murphy’s fundamentals of whip cracking would be an ideal for you. After you work your way through that, then check out Simon Martin's Two-Handed Whip cracking-Level 1 DVD and Mike Murphy’s "No Bull" whip cracking.

Dan
ksteryous
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ksteryous »

Thanks Whipdude and Dan for your recommendations on videos. I love the sound of two-whip routines, and so I'm going to be trying more of that.

Thanks again,
Kenton