To be a Webley or not to be a Webley, that is the question

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana_Alex
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

To be a Webley or not to be a Webley, that is the question

Post by Indiana_Alex »

Hi guys, I found this on ebay and was wondering if it was a Webley holster or not. It looks like it but the strap looks like its too far down to be a Webley. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2123324041
Even if its not a Webley it looks pretty close so I'll probably bid on it anyway. Thanks for the help.
Cheers, Alex
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Well

Post by Michaelson »

Looks like a standard Webley issue military holster to me. Regards. Michaelson
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

...and naturally distressed, too! Good deal.

- Illinois
Indiana_Alex
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana_Alex »

Yeah it is a great deal and it looks mighty fine(just don't get any ideas Troy :wink:) . Just checking Michaelson, I think the reason I thought it was off was because I was comparing it with another one thats going for 65 on Ebay. The little strap is quite a bit higher on that one thats 65 so it looks more like Indys holster in ToD now that I look at it.But its listed as being a Webley holster.Maybe I need new contacts :wink: . Thanks again.
Cheers, Alex
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Kinda hard to tell

Post by Michaelson »

Since no scale is given, is it a holster for the big Mk VI .455 top break, or the Mk IV .38 top break (a smaller revolver). Being made of leather, I tend to believe it's for the .455, as almost all of the holsters for the smaller .38 I've ever seen have been canvas. I'd suggust you contact the seller and ask if he could measure it, or tell you which it was made for, as it will vary in size between the two revolvers. That will also affect placement of the tie down strap, so your eyes may NOT be deceiving you. Regards. Michaelson
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Why the fifferent strap placements? Does it separate the Officer Corps from the Other Ranks? Does the height of the strap reflect its age? I have a holster marked 1917 and it's a dead ringer for the TOD/LC. Another one I have has the strap closer to the above position. It's from WWII. :?:
Indiana_Alex
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana_Alex »

Heres the other holster I was talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 76231&rd=1 See how the strap is higher up? It comes with an ammo pouch too, so that might be why its so exspensive. Feel free to bid on that one :D ! I asked the seller of the other holster what the size was and she said that it measured 9 inches or so from the bottom to the top.
Cheers, Alex
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Hey, Alex, you've got nothing to worry about :D ! I'm a Smith & Wesson guy myself, happy bidding and good luck, I'm rootin for ya!

- Illinois
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

That's a nice looking ammo pouch too. I just might go for this one. The holster is a little different than the one I have from WWI. The holster and pouch both look to be in great shape. I don't know about the starting price though ... plus, there's a reserve. This guy might be asking too much.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Strap placement

Post by Michaelson »

If the holster was made for the Mk VI, the strap would have been lower to allow for the larger grip frame. It could be mounted higher for the smaller .38 grip frame. Or, to be more obvious, it could have been a mistake by the holster maker, as they were cranking out these holsters as fast as they could during the war. Regards. Michaelson
Indiana_Alex
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana_Alex »

Woohoo, I WON! It went up to 26 dollars plus 10 shipping (because they live in England), but thats pretty much what I would have paid if I had gotten the IMA holster and it doesn't come with a Sam Browne gun belt. And this is a REAL holster not a reproduction. In the picture it doesn't seem to "tilt" like the IMA holster does, so thats a bonus. Thanks for all the help guys.
Cheers, Alex
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Alex, Congrats! Looking forward to checking it out at the summit next month.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Good show, mate!