Temptation is an awful thing.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Temptation is an awful thing.

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I am terribly tempted to order a TOD and a Raiders jacket from Wested. Someone stop me.

To everyone else, they are just brown leather jackets, but to me, they are movie specific, each with their own subtle nuances that im slowly picking up on.
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

im DYING to try a TOD washed goat , but i got waay too many jackets already ya know...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

STOP!!

hey I tried...

not much help was it...
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

i check the wested site constantly....i missed out, the uk pound went up and so did the tod by $4 since yesterday aaargh
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Well, for me it's not so much the look of a certain movie... It's the jacket itself and the differences between one maker and the next.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Funny thing is when you start adding up the costs of all these jackets--you could have ended up buying a Tony Nowak!! :lol:

Course you only have just one jacket to wear...compared to having three.
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

i got 2 westeds ,1 wings and 1 todds for less than 1 nowak(that id be afraid to get wet or rip anyways)
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

You're just going to find enablers here, friend. GO . . . GO . . . GO . . .

I have a Wested custom ROLA on the way. Next up is a Magnoli LC. GO . . . GO . . . GO . . .

RaiderZee
Wife: "STOP . . . STOP . . . STOP!"
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:STOP!!

hey I tried...

not much help was it...

:lol: :lol:

Joyce, get a ToD while you can get 'original' type hardware. You can get a Raiders anytime
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

ortiz344 wrote:i got 2 westeds ,1 wings and 1 todds for less than 1 nowak(that id be afraid to get wet or rip anyways)
Wow, you must have got a real deal on those 2 Westeds ,1 Wings and 1 Todds
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Darn it man, get a hold of yourself, buy 3 Westeds instead :lol: , no sell a jacket and then buy another. :-k
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

Well I've ordered 3 ROLA Wested since October last year. One got returned/exchanged for the second one, the latest one will incorporate the Holt collar to the Agent 5 specs. I think I will give in and be ordering a TOD in about June. Get on board and get one. You only live once.
Plus - everyone who has seen my latest jacket has commented (without knowing it is a Raiders jacket) that it is a classic style or that it looks great.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I can't understand why you'd want another Wested. Save your money for a truly custom jacket from Tony Novak. Wested's 'custom' options are very limited, and quite frankly, I found it's a lottery as to whether you'll get a good one with all the details you're after.
Granted, they're the only place you'll get an 'accurate' Temple of Doom jacket at the moment, if you're lucky.
Or if custom options aren't important, just get a G&B.
You'll find very few poor reviews of the those jackets here. They seem consistent in their high quality. Just my opinion.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Kevin is right! :Plymouth:

Regards

orb
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Well, the reason I want only Westeds are:
I need a custom jacket, because of my height, weight, and thickness. Their custom costs far less than a Wings or even Todd's. Believe me, Id love a Todd's Raiders.

I prefer having the zipper on the correct side, and that only seems to be the case in Westeds, it being England and all.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Well, it's your money, but by the time you've bought four trying to get one that's right, you may wish you'd tried another vendor. I know I do.
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

ortiz344 wrote:i got 2 westeds ,1 wings and 1 todds for less than 1 nowak(that id be afraid to get wet or rip anyways)
the bazaar is your friend if you can deal with lightly used jackets :lol: , and the wings usually have a sale/ todds standard are cheap, i am trying to vary my hides now more though.

IF ya get lucky you can pick up a nowak in the bazaar (seen a few come up so far now) i question why people bought them only to sell them at a 25% or more loss less than 6 months later but i digress...
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

!st Step of program : My name is (insert your name here) and I'm a jacket addict.... :) ;-)
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Yeah but in the end a Tony Nowak would be worth twice all those jackets and more. I love my Wested, Todd's and US Wings but they really are a dime a dozen. Buy them used and you can get them for half the cost of new.

Unless I am mistaken, only a single Indy I has ripped (so far) and that was cause the guy was using it as he carried a Christmas tree to the trash. Seriously, who does that wearing a $1K on their back. :roll:
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Yep... I agree 100% Browncoat.
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

Browncoat wrote:
Yeah but in the end a Tony Nowak would be worth twice all those jackets and more. I love my Wested, Todd's and US Wings but they really are a dime a dozen. Buy them used and you can get them for half the cost of new.

Unless I am mistaken, only a single Indy I has ripped (so far) and that was cause the guy was using it as he carried a Christmas tree to the trash. Seriously, who does that wearing a $1K on their back. :roll:
well, i think we probably should not look at these in terms of 'valuable' in that Ive seen a bazaar sale of a nowak for what 450-?(originally 750-).

Honestly, how many people do you think could you sell your nowak jacket to (after you wear it a while) for anything close to what you got it for? And most of them would be on this site or already have a nowak, let alone can tell the differences between it and a wested or whathaveyou, ya know?
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Temptation is an awful thing.

Post by Browncoat »

I understand what you are saying but I think you missed my point. It was never about reselling at all.

My opinion (and its just that an opinion) is that I would easily trade in 10 Wested/US Wings for a single Indy I made to my specs and size. Chances are I could get another Wested/US Wings at a later date and a fraction of the price if I buy it used but I doubt I'd ever own more than one Nowak.

Heck, I am still saving up for my first Nowak and I have 2 jobs. LOL. :lol: :lol:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re:

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Joyce wrote:
I prefer having the zipper on the correct side, and that only seems to be the case in Westeds, it being England and all.
That's not entirely correct about the zipper from other jacket makers.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re:

Post by RCSignals »

ortiz344 wrote:........ let alone can tell the differences between it and a wested or whathaveyou, ya know?
I can only guess you've never seen and examined a jacket from Tony Nowak
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I would say this in all seriousness. Look at your financial situation. If you are self sufficient and depend on nobody, all your bills are paid, you have relatively little or no debt, and have a solid job, then go ahead and order a couple of leather jackets.

If you aren't in this position, then you already know the answer to your question deep down inside, don't you?
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Well, seeing as how this is MY THREAD and my decision, and Ive listened to people telling me that I should buy a 1K jacket just so I can sandpaper it and drag it behind a truck, I wonder what my rebellious little depressed self did?

I ordered a ToD from Wested. Then the forums went down. So if my ordering this jacket proves that a fool and his money are soon parted, FINE.

Id post pics when the jacket comes in, but oh wait, I forgot, IM SOME KIND OF MORON BECAUSE I LIKE THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

good Joyce, you took my suggestion ;-)
RCSignals wrote:......

Joyce, get a ToD while you can get 'original' type hardware. You can get a Raiders anytime
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Adam, you sound bitter :)

Be sure to post pics of that ToD jacket when it comes in. I think I agree the Wested is the way to go. Nothing against Nowak, but if you are going to beat on the jacket a bit, better to do it on one that doen't cost close to a grand.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Thanks Dan. Seems like me and you have something in common with people running over us in our own threads eh?
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Running over you in your own thread? Huh? By suggesting alternatives and offering advice?
If that's not good enough, then what was the point of this thread Joyce? Did you expect a flood of replies telling you
'Stop! Don't buy another jacket!'? I don't get it.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Kevin does have a point though Adam. The second sentence of your first post was "Someone stop me", so I suppose you asked for it! ;-)
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Honestly, I don't get where the defensive rant is coming from... :-k No one here has posted going out and getting a expensive jacket and destroying/abusing it nor calling you a fool for wanting a Wested or two? If that was a case, we'd all be the pot calling the kettle black.

Oh well, congrats on your choice of ordering a ToD! I think its one of Wested best jackets at the moment.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Well for the most part, people were going along with the joke about trying to stop someone from ordering a second jacket, on a site where most people have two or more.

Its comments about having to trade in four Westeds to get one thats correct...Its going on about a 1,000 dollar Nowak jacket and in my opinion giving me a hard time for choosing Wested...

Maybe my discussion of "Custom" is being misinterpreted.

When I say Custom, I mean, it fits me. Im not one of those people that obsess over the point on the pocket flaps, the mm of the sleeve openings, the incorrect this that or the other thing.

Wested is the only company that I know of, that I can order my size jacket in, for less than 500 dollars.

And if Im sounding oversensitive these days, Im truly sorry. This is not the thread to get into the #### Ive been going thru since Fall.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, I guess you've made your decision. No need to keep this one open anymore.
Oh, and you could have also ordered a custom jacket from Todd's Costume in your size for $499, under your posted $500 top price...but that's a moot point now. ;-)
Looking forward to seeing photos of your Wested when you get it.

Regards! Michaelson