Ultimate SA gear question

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Ultimate SA gear question

Post by redsleighdown »

Okay indy fans, if price was no object, what would you get for the most SA of the following: a Raiders holster, a CS holster, a CS gunbelt and whip holder, and a CS bag strap?
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

have fun..... :whip:
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

Oh I will. I already have an AB raider's holster but I've been debating if Jake's is more accurate? Does anyone see a fault in either?

As for the CS gear, I have heard Jake and Keppler are the top but again, is one more SA in people's opinions?
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

I loves Jake's holster. I have two (One Raiders, one CS). While I think they are both pretty SA, Jakes is built to lost longer and with better materials. However, they are both great holsters. The CS holster is fantastic in terms of color and construction however the button flap has a curved "sting" tail shape when it is really a rectangular shape. No big deal at all. Will post some pics in a little while!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I just got to see the AB holster and it's is fantastic just like everything from the AB line of products. Kim is another person who just can't do anything but fantastic work.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

AB products = simply the best ;-)
(Just my decent opinion)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

If price was no object, I'd just buy the movie originals! :lol:
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Well, I just got my CS Holster from Jake and it fits my Webley WG perfectly. No other holster out there fits the WG as they are all a bit short. Jake's is a perfect fit!!

Also just got a Lee Keppler CS bag strap and gun belt. Both are very nice and very SA. Also purchased both the brown and gray CS fedoras the Lee has. They are both stunning and extremely SA.

And I just purchased a Simon Martin CS Whip that should get here by the end of the week. I understand that this was his own personal prototype CS whip and is the same one that is pictured on his website and also in this forum. Can't wait to get that one in my hands!

What a hobby! It never ends!!!

redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

Indiana Bond wrote:What a hobby! It never ends!!!
Haha, very true. I actually have an AB CS fed and a perfect Jacka 10' CS so I can't really improve on accuracy there. Thanks for the info about the other CS items.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, here are some pics and info concerning jakes holsters. I do have a CS gunbelt holster rig on order from Lee Keppler but its been two 1/2 months and I still haven't seen it. Jake's turnaround times are great! Everything is hand made, leather hand dyed, stiches hand sewn!

Jake's CS holster. Perhaps the best in terms of color and construction. The only SA difference is the flap strap. Curved "sting" tail shape when the original has a triangular pointed strap but, to me, its no big deal!

Notice the color, spot on (sorry, pic was scanned out of Archives book)

Jakes Raiders is the best!!!!
(Note: The belt is a custom made Wade Egan belt)

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3474/dsc01174zg1.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7403/dsc01175vi7.jpg

Smith & Wesson 1917 handgun for comparison. Fits like a glove!
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9884/dsc01176gw1.jpg

MOD EDIT: viewtopic.php?t=21315
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Let me know if you are interested in a Raiders holster, as well as the CS holster. The closing strap on the CS holster is now a straight one, as seen in the pics of Indiana Bond's holster. These holsters will not dissapoint! The Raider's holster is available to ship, but the CS holster has a short wait time as of this post.

viewtopic.php?t=35440http://www.indygea ... hp?t=34529

Regards,

Jake Johnson
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Waiting for my CS holster order with ANTICIPATION. ;-)
Last edited by sithspawn on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Hey Jake that's a pretty nice looking holster. Much nicer than the one I've been using. :-k
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Hi Jake,
that's a very nice CS holster you make. Are they hand sewn or do you use a machine? The indentation of the gun could be much stronger if absolute SA is required. The hero holster actually has a almost complete relief of the gun on the front.
The Riders holster is slightly off in the general shape and the locking strap looks a bit to long at the end. Do you glue the bottom plug in or do you sew it in?

Best regards,
Kim
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Kim,

The CS holster would look even more screen accurate if it was aged. The scuffed highlights actually help define the gun even more from the pictures I've seen. I'm using 7-8 oz leather and it may be difficult to get a sharper mold. After all, I 'm molding this on a wooden copy I made of the gun. All of my holsters are hand-sewn with linen thread

If the Raiders holster pattern is off, it is made from the pattern you published here. Maybe the photo perspective distorts the shape you see? Thanks for posting the pattern. I am pleased with the way it comes out.

The locking strap may appear long because I do not want the slots and holes to be too close together. This compromise is to avoid a weak point in the locking strap. I make the locking strap fit on the tighter hole with a gun inside. When I sew the holster together, I leave the strap extra long. The holes are punched after the main part of the holster is finished. This gives a tight fit. The pictures you see above shows the holster strap in the second or looser position. Is that why it looks longer to you?

The toe plug is sewn in by hand without glue. I spend about 40 minutes or more just on this one part of the holster. In my humble opinion, the toe plugs look great, and the extra effort shows up.

I appreciate the compliments, coming from such an accomplished gear maker that you are!

Regards,

Jake J
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Well I'm impressed with you work, the stitching is very well done.
You're right about the CS holster, aging and sanding will make it more clear. How ever I have some reference pictures of the screen used holster and it is almost ridicules how clear the gun imprint is. I can't share the pictures, I promised the supplier not to publish them, sorry.

The pattern I made and published was the first functional holster pattern I made. It's from before I joined Adventurebilt. I have since then made a great number of corrections in collaboration with very dedicated Indy people to get every detail right. The AB holster is not cut from the original pattern but form version 4 or 5, I really cant remember how many prototypes I went through before it was AB ready.

It is just the end of the locking strap that's to long, the Raiders holster has a relatively short strap measured from the last hole to the end.

That toe plug is a killer definitely the hardest part of the whole job. It took me a lot of tests to get it right with all the stitches aligned right on the inside. No need to be humble, it looks great!

Best regards,
Kim