New Italian Indy hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

New Italian Indy hat

Post by Indiana Strones »

An Italian factory is now producing this Indiana Jones hat, in wool, price is 45 euros. Very tapered, and available on ebay.

jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

For that price, yuck! :-0
If it were $30 or so, it might be a good buy, though hardly SA. Maybe something I'd buy for my kid to romp around outside in, you know?
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I had a Burlington hat that started off looking somewhat like this. With a good reblock, you could change this hat into something decent for the price. Also note that the center dent is pretty deep here, so it's probably a lot more tapered than it needs to be.
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

That's about $65 dollars with the exhange rate to Euro. For five or ten dollars more, you could get a Fed IV! :roll:

Like I said, if it were $30 or less, I might get it for my kid to play in the yard with, but I would never drop that kind on money on a wool felt hat for myself, no matter what.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

This looks like a Borsalino Alessandro. It is probably made on a similar block. Its not a bad looking hat, but not Indy. Wool is a turn-off, though.

Dave
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: New Italian Indy hat

Post by Dutch_jones »

Indiana Strones wrote:An Italian factory is now producing this Indiana Jones hat, in wool, price is 45 euros. Very tapered, and available on ebay.

That is not very tapered, I wonder if you even know the meaning of that word.
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Not very tapered? :shock: Tapered (in the hat sense) means narrower at the top than at the bottom of the crown. That sure looks quite tapered to me. / \ Anyone else care to weigh in?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The hat does have a good deal of taper. Doesn't make it a bad hat, just not an ideal Indy style hat.

Dave
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

it is tapered......not VERY tapered, but tapered none-the-less. what are you looking at dutch....the paperboy hats behind it? :lol: draw a line on each side that is tangent to the side of the hat....if they meet somewhere north of the crown, you have a taper. the farther the distance, the less taper.

like mentioned before, you may be able to straighten the sides up a bit if you pull that centre crease out.......then again its wool felt so i don't even know if that will do anything. the bash reminds me of a preshaped block which mates to a top piece so that the felt can be pressed (by hand or machine) to give you the crown creases (the kind that you get for cowboy hats). its a fast way to bash the hat and mass produce it.

the brim is not dimensionally cut but the ribbon looks fair. not a bad offering.......but the deal breaker is the wool felt. don't want it, don't have a use for it, and if you're selling, i'm not buying ;-)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Dutch, you change your definition of taper recently? :-s
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

That thing is hideous as far as an indy hat goes.
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Oh wait, it's wool felt, I didn't see that at first. Yeah, all bets are off then. Nobody's gonna pay 50+ bucks for a wool felt hat.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

That's tapered like a Buttercup,....fitting, actually. ;-)
'Blues
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: New Italian Indy hat

Post by BendingOak »

Dutch_jones wrote:
Indiana Strones wrote:An Italian factory is now producing this Indiana Jones hat, in wool, price is 45 euros. Very tapered, and available on ebay.

That is not very tapered, I wonder if you even know the meaning of that word.
Come now. That hat is tapered, very tapered.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i bought one similar too this at store called value city in my neck of the woods for 12.99 i got it for my son--- we made the pinch a bit more tighter and it looks better than what it looked when we bought it --- its also crushable i will post a pic soon then you can decide if looks ok
Last edited by indyclone on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Tapered. Definitely tapered. Much like a Dorfman-Pacific.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

my son in my old fedora that i bought when temple came out --official indy hat

and the new hat that is crushable a short of grayish color and bought for 12.99 at a discount store like t.j maxx

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

that first picture is just so cool! and a really nice hat too

Holt
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Indiana Holt wrote:that first picture is just so cool! and a really nice hat too

Holt
thanks he loves that hat the most he said when it gets to small he will save it for his son when he gets older ---- i hope he's at least in his twenties when that happens and he gives it to son in his thirties ---lol
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Just for curiosity I asked them if they can offer the hat open crown, and they said yes. :-k
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Indiana Holt wrote:that first picture is just so cool! and a really nice hat too

Holt
Yes, that first picture is my favorite of the group as well. And that hat is much less tapered than the thread opening Italian hat! And it's gotta be about 24 years old now?
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Don't Call Me Junior! wrote:

Holt
Yes, that first picture is my favorite of the group as well. And that hat is much less tapered than the thread opening Italian hat! And it's gotta be about 24 years old now?

it is , i loved that hat when i got it but as the years went by it got to small for big ole head ,then this year he really got into indy and i passed it down to him --- he likes it when i bring it to him at school when i pick him up , he wears proudly---------- the new one is crushable so it can be packed in a bag or suitcase ---but he wanted a gray one like indy wears when he travels by train or plane.