Improving on the mkVII

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Improving on the mkVII

Post by Serial Hero »

I’ve got a reproduction from WPG that I’ve been carrying, pretty much every day for the last four years. It’s a great bag, perfect for my needs, but with anything there is always room for improvement.

My ideas would be to have a zipper on one of the pockets; the one inside the front of the bag, to keep smaller items more secure. The small center pocket (originally used to hold an extra filter) could be deeper to hold a cell phone/ IPod. I was also thinking the whole thing could be slightly larger to hold full size sheets of paper or a folder, but then it’s too close to being a messenger bag. I like the size because it forces you to economies and just carry what you need. My bag doesn’t have the center divider in the main pocket, so it’s perfect for holding smaller books or a water bottle.

Any other ideas? Or is it perfect the way it is?

-SH-
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

I think its a really good idea. I often wish for a more "functional" yet authentic looking bag. Your suggestions of a zippered pocket and the iPod/phone pocket are great. The divider in the center section should extend all the way to the bottom of the bag to make it 2 separate pockets. I would ,however,vote no on changing the size. Let's keep it SA! IMHO that is.

-Nebraska
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

check the japanese replica in the other thread