Todd's 'value' LC holster...very tough!

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Todd's 'value' LC holster...very tough!

Post by Kokopelli »

So I've had this sucker in the closet for a couple of months, and hadn't done anything with it so far. I got it back out to work with it a little. This thing is built like a tank! Very sturdy, thick leather, heavy duty stitching.
It was almost as shiny as patent leather, though, so I figured a little distressing was in order, just to 'soften it up'.
I figured for now, I'd just knock the shine off, so I tried wiping it gently with rubbing alcohol on the backside to test results. Nothing. So I tried straight alcohol. Nothing! So I'm thinking this is that PVC coated leather or something. Straight alcohol and rubbing hard. I think I actually heard it laugh at me!
I then used some 220 grit sandpaper and even then it only took off the high shine! If I wet it and rub the dust off, it's shiny again! Looking better now, though. I then begin to knead it to try to make it more pliable. Uh-uh, ain't happening! It's like trying to roll plywood!
So I decide I'll soak it in water, that'll soften it up. I fill the holster up with water...and it holds water!! The stitching on this thing is so good it is actually holding the water inside, except for a very very very tiny drip from the bottom plug!
I filled up a pitcher of water and sat it in there, still full of water for a couple of hours.
Now we're talking! Nice, soft, wrinkleable leather. I've hung it up to dry, and it's just a little damp yet, but wow, sooo much better. It fels like an old used holster now.
I'll get a pic up when it dries completely.
Bottom line is I am very impressed at the quality of a $40 holster!
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Is it dry yet? How about a pic?
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

maybe putting in a webley would mould it so you get a cool webley shape while it isnt inside.