Blisters?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Blisters?

Post by Stinky Dragon »

Hey everyone, I've had my whip since Tuesday and I've been practicing about 15-20 minutes every day. It's been a lot of fun, but I've developed some pretty big blisters on my hand. So my question for you is: Is this a normal thing? Or am I just holding the whip wrong?
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

I think you simply have sensitive skin on your hands :). Just keep cracking, and your skin will be better in couple weeks.

Regards,
Karol
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

How are you holding the bullwhip? The Turk's head knot should fit right in your palm, comfortably, with your middle finger through your pinkie wrapping around it. Your thumb points down the length of the whip and your forefinger is just opposite your thumb.

Otherwise, it's probably just from not being used to it, I think... but keep practicing!!

Shane
Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Stinky Dragon »

Yeah.... I've been holding it a little bit differently, holding onto the knot a little bit farther down, so I think the blisters are a combination of that and just not being used to it. I'll have to work on my grip.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I sometimes get a blister around the lowest joint of my thumb. I think it's down to the Turk's head rotating in my palm at the end of a crack.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

I agree. So long as you're holding the whip correctly, the blisters will eventually go away. Your hand will get used to the whip and relax a little more, and the leather of the whip will slowly get used to your hand too. Just make sure you're holding the butt knot in your palm - think of it like the knot and your palm forming a ball-and-socket joint. What you do with your forefinger and thumb is generally a matter of personal preference (and for me often changes as I move to do different cracks), but the important part is holding the knot in your palm.

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

What kind of leather is your whip made of? From my experience, certain leathers are tougher on your skin. Couple that with the fact you might be sweating while you're whipcracking no doubt you'll get blisters.

Here's my story. Before I got my Strain 'Roo-hide whip, I was practicing with my P.O.S. Cowhide 6'' whip I got a looOoOoong time ago. On top of the cowhide, the whip also had a handle covered in rubber.

I was practicing one day, basically learning the basic cracks until I would get my Strain or Del Carpio...whichever came first, and it was hot and I of course was getting sweaty but was having a blast. Now because this whip was a POS, it didn't have a proper fall and cracker, so to get a crack out of it, you really had to try. Anyways, after a long while I was doing some overhead cracks and felt something "pull" along my index finger.

I look down and notice my skin had peeled toward the tip of my finger like a rug from rubbing along that rubber handle. I tore the ruffled skin off and was left with a dime-size wound which stung for a week or so. This was about 5 weeks ago or so. You can still see the outline where it was on my finger. I also had a blister growing on my palm, but I started wearing a glove after that and soon after my Strain arrived. It's been great on the hands since!
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

I've got a 10 foot cowhide and I get a 1/4 inch blister/callus at the base of my ring finger and a smaller one at the base of my middle finger.
Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Stinky Dragon »

Well I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this.... I figured I was doing something wrong.

The whip is a kinda rough cowhide, and it's definitely not the best whip so I have to muscle it a bit, which probably adds to the blistering factor. To top it all off, I have notoriously sweaty hands... sounds like a recipe for nice large blisters XD
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

Wearing gloves while starting out might help. Perhaps some Wells Lamont of a particular style? ;)
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Hmmm that's funny. I never got a blister from throwing a whip. Got a whole collection of them when I started plaiting though lol! But it's just your hands getting toughened up, it'll get better no worries :-)
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

LemonLauren wrote:I agree. So long as you're holding the whip correctly, the blisters will eventually go away. Your hand will get used to the whip and relax a little more, and the leather of the whip will slowly get used to your hand too. Just make sure you're holding the butt knot in your palm - think of it like the knot and your palm forming a ball-and-socket joint. What you do with your forefinger and thumb is generally a matter of personal preference (and for me often changes as I move to do different cracks), but the important part is holding the knot in your palm.

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
YES!, To Lauren-Won you listen!!!

Im just a bad example, because i started off into this stuff hard and heavy.... my first day, i stayed outisde crackin, or TRYING to crack for 3 hours or more.... the next day i couldnt make a fist! :-)
second day and every day since then, no problems, your hands will strengthen up the more you do it.... I mean ive only been doing this a month and I can hold a quarter between my thumb and forefinger and fold it clean in half!!!

Oh yeh........
Im serious!!!!

and if you beleive that....... :-)
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

McFly wrote:How are you holding the bullwhip? The Turk's head knot should fit right in your palm, comfortably, with your middle finger through your pinkie wrapping around it. Your thumb points down the length of the whip and your forefinger is just opposite your thumb.

Otherwise, it's probably just from not being used to it, I think... but keep practicing!!

Shane
The Turk's head knot is supposed to be placed in your palm when cracking a whip?! :oops: :oops: :oops:

The best way I can describe how I grip the whip is that I grip it the way one would properly grip a baseball bat above the butt of the bat.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

scot2525 wrote:
McFly wrote: The Turk's head knot is supposed to be placed in your palm when cracking a whip?! :oops: :oops: :oops:

The best way I can describe how I grip the whip is that I grip it the way one would properly grip a baseball bat above the butt of the bat.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!! THATS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!
-Luke Skywalker
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Imo, you don't have to hold the handle in the palm of your hand, ball and socket fashion, though that seems to be the favored method for many whip crackers. David Morgan and others say that this is the way it should be cracked, and I've got nothing against it.

But it's not the only way to do it. I've always held the handle at the base, right up next to the end knot but not with the knot in my palm. I much prefer this way, and have tried the other way. I've also seen very good Aussie crackers holding it the way I do. It also happens to be the way Mr Ford cracks a whip. I can crack the whip just as well as anyone else, and do all the whip cracks. I am also accurate as to where the whip cracks.

I angle the handle slightly in my hand, so that it is more parallel with my forearm. A variation is to hold the whip half on the handle and half on the TH knot; so in other words about a 1/2" lower.

I have seen several Aussie ringers/stockmen hold the whip by the base of the handle, not the TH knot, who use a whip as a major part of their work in constant use, accurate and highly effective, as they need a secure hold on the whip. The TH knot is there to stop the handle slipping out of their hand. Whatever works best for you.
Last edited by JMObi on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Personally i like to use two hands....... :-)
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I cracked a whip at a race meeting out in the bush once, brought to the event by a whipmaker selling his goods (he's now a major roohide supplier), which required a technique where you had to hold it in both hands, then start running (fast) with the handle, and then swing down with all your might and speed to get it to crack. I forget just how long it was but it was massive.
bluzharp
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bluzharp »

I got one too, high up my palm close to my ring finger when I first got my whip. It went away after a few weeks. I still practice almost every day. and no more blister.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

scot2525 wrote:The Turk's head knot is supposed to be placed in your palm when cracking a whip?! :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's what I've been told, and I have a book on whipcracking that says that; but I suppose it could change with preference and style. I bet it's like speaking English English and American English. Neither one is "wrong" per se, but one is a little more casual. Maybe? Good analogy?

I've always been told to hold the whip like that - but I'm sure it could change. I know you don't want to be holding the ring knot though!! :shock:

Shane
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Well at first I thought I was suppose to handle the whip by the actual handle, i mean it does follow right? But when I read David Morgan's book on whipmaking (the first version), he spoke of handling a whip by the butt end, much like a ball and socket joint, though this may have stemmed from an Australian influence... not sure, anyway I tried that and haven't looked back since. But to be fair, I think my grip may change as the figure or crack changes, but to say that I actually grip it by the handle itself, no. I suppose it's whatever you feel more comfortable doing that is the right way really. I just find that handling the whip (bullwhip mind you) bu the butt end makes for a more fluid motion, but that's just me.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Blisters actually aren’t that uncommon in whip cracking, especially if new to it and practicing constantly. Even I still get them on rare occasion, usually if I am working in a new whip that im not used to yet.

The trick is practice just enough at first so that the spots where the handle or turkshead rub against your palm callus over before they develop into full blown blisters. If your feeling tenderness in a certain spot, switch hands for a while you want to be practicing in both hands anyway, but don’t keep cracking until you rub the area raw.

I don’t really recommend wearing gloves as that kind of takes away from the sensitive and feel you will be developed by holding the whip in your bare hand, if you have to, make try to wear form fitting gloves like batting gloves.

Holding the whip the right way is also very important. Using a whip by gripping the actual handle like it was a club makes for a very ridged connection to the whip and your arm. The whip is flexible, your arm is flexible, and so ideally your connection to the whip should be flexible too. Hence holding the Turkshead knot of a bullwhip and letting it rest in your palm to form a ball an socket like connection, kind of like so.

Granted this is not the only way to do it, and others have there preferred techniques, occasionally I switch around a little too but for the most part this is the grip that works best for me and i find it allows a finer control while throwing the whip and gives a better feel for subtle variations in your motions. Try it, see how it works

Dan
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I really respect what Lauren, Dan, Shane and others say about holding the whip by the TH, and in no way want to convince others that my way is best or rock the boat, so I won't mention my way of holding any more if the topic comes up again. I know when I'm outnumbered :)

But I'm also going to keep doing it my way :)

Before leaving the subject alone I just want to say that I chose this method for myself by seriously trying both ways over a long period of time. To me (I'm not saying it does for others) it gives better sensation of the handle direction, etc, plus I don't really like wrapping my hand around such a wide base as the TH. One possible disadvantage is a slightly reduced leverage from, in effect, a shorter handle, but I make up for this in how I use my arm/rest of my body when I crack the whip. I don't myself experience a loss of flexibility but I appreciate that others might if they try to do it the way I do.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

JMObi,

Don't worry about 'rocking the boat.' :-) One of the best parts of this forum IMO is that there are LOTS of different people here with LOTS of different opinions, experiences, techniques, questions, etc. I personally still stand by holding the knot in your palm, but if you're having fun and getting results that make you happy holding it another way, then good for you! :whip: This may not be the best analogy, but the way I see it, it's a bit like lots of other skills: there's a "proper" way to blow into a flute, a "proper" way to hold a handgun, a "proper" way to deadlift a barbell, etc. And most people will get the best results and be able to progress furthest in those skills if they adopt that "proper" basic form. In the end though, there are exceptions to every sort of rule like that, and every individual has to find out what works best for him or her.

And I know what you mean about the big handle knots - I always hold the knot in my palm, but most of my favorite whips for regular cracking have smaller-than-Indy-style butt knots (I have smaller-than-Harrison-Ford hands!!).

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
jason10mm
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jason10mm »

I'm new to cracking and I'm getting some rub spots as well. Cracking is definitely reminding me how soft my hands have become since I stopped lifting. Not to mention my grip strength isn't what it used to be either.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I just did a quick bit of cracking, and well....hmmmmm :-k ....I see you guys have a point.

I noticed a bit of an improvement by holding the whip by the TH, like in Dan's picture. The extra leverage was good I must admit. I think what I'll do from now on is be less fixed in my approach, and maybe use both ways.

I suppose having worked on cattle stations for a year, alongside guys who held the whip at the bottom of the handle, not by the TH, I got a bit convinced by them. But on second thoughts I realise that those ringers were not necessarily great crackers; they were first and foremost cattlemen. Also, they were using the longer handled stockwhip.

Lauren, thanks for your great post, I agree with you. I like the bit about the right way to blow into a flute. I used to spend a bit of time with the ol' silvery tube :D
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I just did a quick bit of cracking, and well....hmmmmm ....I see you guys have a point.

I noticed a bit of an improvement by holding the whip by the TH, like in Dan's picture. The extra leverage was good I must admit. I think what I'll do from now on is be less fixed in my approach, and maybe use both ways.

See, Sometimes I do know what im talking about :wink: :lol:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

OK so these aren't from thowing whips, but from actually plaiting one!
[img][img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e337/ ... sters1.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e337/ ... sters2.jpg[/img][/img]
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I can be a stubborn fellow, that is until I see the light :D
stealthboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by stealthboy »

Canuck Digger wrote:OK so these aren't from thowing whips, but from actually plaiting one!
My index fingers are killing me this morning after plaiting about 7 feet of my current 10' whip last night. It seems to be my index fingers and pinkies that get the abuse (I wrap the strands over my index finger, down around my pinky, then back up to my index finger to get a good enough grip to pull each strand).

I guess you know you're doing it right if it hurts ;).
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Yeah that's sounds about right.

Well in a few days these will turn into tough calouses, and the thing with that is I don,t feel my hands as much; it's like there's a glove of tough skin over my hand hehehe. Oh well, such is life...
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Due to time constrains I'm going to try and make my new whip in 1 hour instalments each day. Are there any problems with stopping and starting the braiding like that? In times past I tended to plait in one go, all day. I might avoid too many blisters that way.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

It's probably easier to maintain a consistant angle of pull when yer not stopping, but if you have it down already, it should be ok.