What is a dimensional cut?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

What is a dimensional cut?

Post by blueoakleyz »

..can't find the answer
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

It's in the fourth thread on this forum, along with alot of other Fedora FAQ's.

Dimensional Cut: A non-uniform cut of the brim in relation to the front/back compared to the sides.
Generally, the front/back is slightly wider then sides.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

heheheh

ok so the front would say be 2.5" and the sides would be 2.25" like that?
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Correct. And to be more precise, according to the main Indygear site, Ford's fedora's brim measurements for Raiders' were as follows:

Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Dengar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dengar »

I need to cut my Akubra Federation so I can get a dimensional cut (so it can be more SA). Are there any guides that can show me how to do this? I found some old links on COW but they're all dead.
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Federations with come with the dimensional cut for a long time now actually, so you probably don't need to do that.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Correct. And to be more precise, according to the main Indygear site, Ford's fedora's brim measurements for Raiders' were as follows:

Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches

You know, I really think that like the CS film, we actually see various brim widths in Raiders. Some of the front brims in Raiders look to be longer than 2 3/4. The 2 5/8 is pretty much accurate though. To me the Raiders hat looked to have 2 5/8 on the sides. And if the oldsters here will recall, we actually got 2 different brim specs from Mr. Swales. He seemed not to know for sure either.

Maybe in the future someone will post a pictorial study of the Raider fedora with the CS. I know for a fact that the hats we made for the film came with a 2 3/4 by 2 1/2 brim. But, one sample accidently made it into the film, and it had a 2 7/8 by 2 5/8 brim. So we see two brims in this last film. The hat with the larger brim had the shorter crown, a 5 1/4 open crown hat, and the one that was initially picked by Bernie and Harrison. Spielberg went with the taller crown, shorter brim. Comparing these two film hats would probably yield the truth of the Raiders fedora in not only brim width but crown height. To me, after watching the films, I think the Raiders fedora was shorter than 5 1/2 open crown that I have accepted as the original crown height for quite some time now. Probably between 5 1/4 to 5 3/8, going by my seat of the pants visual comparison. I really think the CS fedora(the 5 1/2 crown one) looks taller than the Raiders fedora. And a pictorial comparison would settle this, since we know for sure what the two CS film hats had in dimensions. Wish I had the time and knowledge with pcs to do this.

Plus one has to consider that if Mr. Swales did the cuts by hand for Raiders(and I believe that he did) he may not have gotten each hat identical. Remember, reportedly the hat they used came with a 3 inch brim to begin with. As that was a stock off the shelf dimension of the hats. Fedora
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

i noticed the wider brimmed hat (and shorter crown) in CS. he wears it in the treasure chamber at Akator, In the shot where Indy says "there are artifacts from every era of early history" you can clearly see it.

a picture i posted on another thread some time ago (bad quality):

CJ
Dengar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dengar »

Marcus Brody wrote:Federations with come with the dimensional cut for a long time now actually, so you probably don't need to do that.
I actually bought my Federation (regular version, not Fed Deluxe)back in 2007. The brim is very wide. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a dimensional cut. I'll post some pics so you can see what I mean.
Last edited by Dengar on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Just measure your hat at the front and sides. That will tell you for sure.

Somewhere I saw where you use chalk and a straightedge to mark the hat up. But I don't remember where.

I have a Fed III Regular from 2008 and it has dim. cut.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Dengar wrote: I actually bought my Federation (regular version, not Fed Deluxe)back in 2007. The brim is very wide. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a dimensional cut. I'll post some pics so you can see what I mean.
It's probably a dimensional cut, but wider than the normal Indy specs. My first Federation was 3" front and back, 2 3/4 on the sides. That might be what you have.
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

The regular Fed from 2007 should have one, unless it was cut wrong. I have one from the early 2000s and the dimensional cut was standard on it back then.
Dengar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dengar »

Here's a couple pics of my Federation regular. Is this a dimensional cut?

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Photos can be deceiving because of angle. Do you have a ruler? If so, place it where the ribbon meets the brim on the side without the bow. Compare that with the same measurement as the front.

If you don't have a ruler or other measuring device, use a piece of paper in the same way, and mark where the brim ends for side and front. That's the best way to be sure.
Dengar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dengar »

Its 2 3/4 inches from the ribbon to the side of the brim on the side. And its slightly less than 3 inches in the front.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Yep. Dimensional. You have the cut I had on my first.
Dengar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dengar »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Yep. Dimensional. You have the cut I had on my first.
So my fedora is more or less SA?

Its just that I have a thin face so the hat looks a little big on me because of the wide brim. Nice to know I won't have to cut the thing up though. Thanks.
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Factory hats aren't one size fit all, but they can at least get you closer. I myself trimmed my old Fed on the sides for the exact same reason, although I did not trim my Fed 4. Sometimes people aren't use to seeing a hat on their head so they feel dwarfed by a hat like the Fed, but sometimes it's just the case that the proportions could use adjustments.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Dengar wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:Yep. Dimensional. You have the cut I had on my first.
So my fedora is more or less SA?

Its just that I have a thin face so the hat looks a little big on me because of the wide brim. Nice to know I won't have to cut the thing up though. Thanks.

Dim cut is more SA. Do you have any pics of you wearing the hat?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Pictures of you wearing it would help, as Oak says, to judge if the brim size is right for you.

Strictly speaking, the brim you have is wider in both directions than the Raiders hat, but the cut is right (if that makes sense). However, not everyone should wear a hat with an accurate brim width. After we've seen it on you, it will be easier to say if you really should trim it.
Dengar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dengar »

OK, here's a few pics of me with the hat:

Last edited by Dengar on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

haha I came here to answer my own question until I realized I was the one who asked it
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Anyone here know the history of the dimensional cut? Is this something that has been done for a long time or is it a new thing? How far does it go back in history? Tom
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Dengar wrote:OK, here's a few pics of me with the hat:

suits you well- I wouldn't change a thing!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Dengar; I agree with Kokopelli. It looks good on you, and there is no need to trim it. However, if you wanted to cut the brim down a little due to personal preference, I think it would look fine. But again, you don't need to do it. :)

Tom; I don't know much about the cut's origin, but I have heard reports of 50 and 60 year old examples.