Where do you crack your whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

indyroh
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Where do you crack your whip?

Post by indyroh »

I've been wanting to ask this for a while: Where does everyone crack their whip?

I have a Joe Strain 10ft whip that I picked up off of ebay a little over a year ago and I crack it on my lawn and always seem to have to clean it really well, especially the fall, when I do so. I have been pondering (at the most) of possibly buying a David Morgan whip, which made me think that I would never crack it out on my lawn for fear of anything happening to it!
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

Nah, nothing's going to happen to your whip if you are cracking on your own lawn. I've been doing it in public soccer field for over 4 months now and nothing has happened to it yet. I am pretty sure your lawn would be more than sufficient for the cracking task!!
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Lawn here also.
spigot
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by spigot »

I crack my whip in an area thats about %70 covered with moss and weeds, the rest is dirt. Its the only area on this property big enough to crack on without getting tangled on bushes or trees.:lol: The end of the thong on my 8' nylon whip has gotten quite dirty and its only a few days old.:lol: I'll probably get a piece of that cheap green indoor/outdoor carpet to crack on when I get my leather whip. Got one coming from Gus Caicedo in a few weeks. :P
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Public parks. I haven't ruined any of my whips yet.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Next to my house there's a big open area that's all grass. I just crack mine there. And if I'm at someone else' house I crack it in the yard, but ONLY on grass.

And congratulations spigot on your Caicedo whip. They're great. I love mine.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

The lawn!!!

Shane
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I guess I'm the only one that does my cracking in doors? I do it at the college gym... in a squash court :P
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

Back yard and sometimes in my garage.

Jim J.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Lawn, hay field, woods... basically any grassy area with some overhead clearance.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

In the movie theatre during the premiere... 8-[
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

(Get off) my lawn.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I crack my whips wherever I happen to be. My side yard, (very difficult. Lots of trees in the yard,) at a local state park or one of our many college green, sometimes a college lecture hall.

My current favorite place to go is up to the Ridges.

http://www.forgottenoh.com/Ridges/ridges.html

It's is the "University Name" for the several acres of property and buildings that used to be the Athens, Ohio State Mental Asylum. It was donated by the state to Ohio University back in the 80's, (because the state couldn't pay for the upkeep, and it was easier to give it to OU,) and most of it has been converted into administrative offices for the college, (so it's job as a nut house, hasn't really changed.)

I go up on the front lawn of an abandoned building, the old Tuberculosis Ward, which overlooks the rest of the facility and work up there. It's very secluded and people tend to leave you alone, but it's also VERY visible from the road and nearby buildings, so people don't mistake the noise for gunfire. OUPD has driven by on routine patrol several times, and never batted an eye, other than to stop and watch because the cop was interested.

The Ridges is also purportedly one of the most haunted places in North America. :D

I also sometimes practice targeting in my living room.

This is with 6 and 8 foot whips, by the way. Working in that confined a space teaches a lot of control, and I find I'm SO much more accurate when I have space to spread out!

That last location there by the way has a price, guys...It REALLY helps if you're a bachelor. A year ago, there's NO way I'd have gotten away with what I do now! And my parents have this nice, long room with high ceilings at their place. It's very tempting, and the couple times I didn't think about it and cracked a whip in there, I got yelled at like I was 6 again. Not that I blame them! Me and my "Outside Toys..."

I suppose it could work the other way though, and it's not just that you have to live alone to crack whips in your living room. But remember this: If your wife, girlfriend, or significant other lets you crack whips in your living room, SHE'S A KEEPER! DON'T LET HER GET AWAY! ;-)

All the best, happy cracking, and DON'T BREAK ANYTHING! ;-)

-Dan