What would I get if I wanted one just like from LC?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

What would I get if I wanted one just like from LC?

Post by blueoakleyz »

If I wanted the _same exact_ hat from LC (like ABs are from KotCS) what would I get?
I would want it more as a collectable, the "ultimate screen accurate, THIS is the hat Indy used" kind of thing
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

guess it will be the Herbert Johnson...
but I'll leave it up to the experts.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Magnoli HJ?
Would all the dimensions like crown height be correct?
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

If you go with an HJ, Todd's costumes does a wonderful job in styling for the LC look. And, of coarse you could go whole hog and get an AB! It is up to you and your wallet! But if you are just looking for a collector's piece, then go with the HJ from Todd! Just my two cents! W>
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

a lot of people have said that Todd's aren't good though
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

If you would do a little searching you would find all sorts of information on this. Do a little digging and you'll find everything you need, instead of just starting a new thread everytime you have a question.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Indiana wrote:If you would do a little searching you would find all sorts of information on this. Do a little digging and you'll find everything you need, instead of just starting a new thread everytime you have a question.
Trust me I have. It's not easy to answer every specific question by searching especially when you can't search thread titles alone. A few extra threads isn't going to bother anyone..
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I'd go with a Magnoli-AB and get the best of both worlds (LC brand [HJ] bashed by KotCS hatter [AB]). ;)

Would be the perfect Indy III - Indy IV bridge hat as well, IMO!
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:I'd go with a Magnoli-AB and get the best of both worlds (LC brand [HJ] bashed by KotCS hatter [AB]). ;)

Would be the perfect Indy III - Indy IV bridge hat as well, IMO!
Any side by side pics of LC / CS to see the differences?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

My advice for maximum screen accuracy first, with the highest possible quality as the second concern - A Magnoli HJ, and request an LC look. Since the hat comes from Steve "AB" Delk, the shaping will be just grand. He may prefer a Raiders, but he can really nail an LC like nobody's business!

If you place quality before the HJ brand accuracy, then skip the HJ and go for the AB.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:My advice for maximum screen accuracy first, with the highest possible quality as the second concern - A Magnoli HJ, and request an LC look. Since the hat comes from Steve "AB" Delk, the shaping will be just grand. He may prefer a Raiders, but he can really nail an LC like nobody's business!

If you place quality before the HJ brand accuracy, then skip the HJ and go for the AB.
Yeah that sounds what I'm looking for (the Magnoli)
Even if rabbit felt is less quality it's more accurate right...

What kind of concerns as far as sizing should I consider.. will it shrink a lot?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I don't think so. The Magnoli HJ is essentially a rabbit AB as Steve pounces the felt, reblocks the crown, puts new ribbon, etc. By the time he is done with it, you have supperior felt, albeit the same one just on roids, and a better block shape. The one to answer this should be a Mag/AB/HJ owner, though.

Dave
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

One of the up sides of the HJ is that the felt is soft, making the fit very comfortable. Just go by your true size (measure your head as normal).

And yes, rabbit fur felt is accurate to the movies. The Magnoli HJ is probably the most SA hat currently on the market.
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: What would I get if I wanted one just like from LC?

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote:If I wanted the _same exact_ hat from LC (like ABs are from KotCS) what would I get?
I would want it more as a collectable, the "ultimate screen accurate, THIS is the hat Indy used" kind of thing
This sounds about as much like another question as an answer. But is that even possible any more? HJ has a documented "problem" with felt (I mean in the sense of your getting an exact match). They don't have the blocks- I seem to remember they didn't think folks would wear the hats any more- I think you can find references to that here if you do a search). So I think the advice to get the HJ from Magnoli Clothiers is about the "closest". Steve Delk reworks the felt, changes the ribbon, if memory serves, and otherwise makes the hat pretty much as it was originally in the Raiders specs. They will also pinch/bash the hat to your preferred scene from the movie.
Last edited by mtechthang on Fri May 30, 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What would I get if I wanted one just like from LC?

Post by blueoakleyz »

mtechthang wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:If I wanted the _same exact_ hat from LC (like ABs are from KotCS) what would I get?
This is more a question than an answer. But is that even possible any more? HJ has a documented "problem" with felt (I mean in the sense of your getting an exact match). They don't have the blocks- I seem to remember they didn't think folks would wear the hats any more- I think you can find references to that here if you do a search). So I think the advice to get the HJ from Magnoli Clothiers is about the "closest". Steve Delk reworks the felt, changes the ribbon, if memory serves, and otherwise makes the hat pretty much as it was originally in the Raiders specs. They will also pinch/bash the hat to your preferred scene from the movie.
I think that fits my criteria pretty much I suppose. Same company that makes it, same materials.. same brand name etc
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote:Trust me I have. It's not easy to answer every specific question by searching especially when you can't search thread titles alone. A few extra threads isn't going to bother anyone..
Well, did you search through the IndyGear Main site (see above, just below the Register button)? It has loads of info on correct hat, jacket, gear, etc. I have found that most of the basic questions have been answered there somewhere. :) See, for example, http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

mtechthang wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:Trust me I have. It's not easy to answer every specific question by searching especially when you can't search thread titles alone. A few extra threads isn't going to bother anyone..
Well, did you search through the IndyGear Main site (see above, just below the Register button)? It has loads of info on correct hat, jacket, gear, etc. I have found that most of the basic questions have been answered there somewhere. :) See, for example, http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html
Yeah.. really it's hard to answer every question specifically with a search. I have probably spent the last two weeks (literally, I just graduated college and have nothing to do) researching.

Anyway would a Magnoli be better suited as a Raiders replica or LC replica? In otherwords would the dimensions/measurements be wrong for either of them?
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Here is the link.

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote: Anyway would a Magnoli be better suited as a Raiders replica or LC replica? In otherwords would the dimensions/measurements be wrong for either of them?
Here is the link to Magnoli's website- http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/catalog/
On the page click on Hats. Then choose the Sable. There is a fairly complete explanation of the improvements on the HJ Poet. The key phrase is: "Styled as requested". Including ordering it open crown and bashing it yourself.

Email Indy Magnoli (through the web-site) and tell him which scene in which movie you want the hat to look like. Send money. Wait. Wear hat (careful when jumping for joy not to mash the hat against the ceiling).

Really, that's all there is to it. :) Well, except for the part about "Which scene do I want the hat to look like?"- that's definitely the hard part for a lot of folks.