Noble Collection Bullwhip...really?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

jyhash
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Noble Collection Bullwhip...really?

Post by jyhash »

Anyone have any opinions about the Noble Collection Indy Bull whip that' supposed to be coming out here soon? Never really had any experience with Noble Collection merchandise, but seems a little too inexpensive to be of any good. Thoughts? Better direction to go for someone who doesn't want to have to drop $500 on a bull whip for a costume?

Thanks guys!

~JYH
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

What's your budget? :)

Shane
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

If you don't want to get into the higher end roohide whips, check out Gus Caicedo's whips. They are fantastic whips. I absolutely love mine and Gus is a great guy to work with.

www.purewhips.com
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Indiana - is your whip very heavy? I cracked a Caicedo on Wednesday and it felt pretty light. I'm wondering if that's common with his, or if this one was different.

Thanks!
Shane
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

I haven't handled many whips, but compared to Agent5's Morgan that I held back in 2005 it seems lighter, but I think that was longer than 8 foot too. Mine is an 8 footer, but the weight seems sufficient to me. It cracks wonderfully. The only thing I can tell that might be wierd on mine is the fall length. It is about 32-34 inches. Aren't most falls in the 20something inches range?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

There have been a few references to this whip in recent threads.
viewtopic.php?t=29775

Based on looks alone, I have seen worse. I suppose we won’t know how good or bad they are until someone actually gets one. My concern is that these are just going to be mass marketed, replica whips. While I don’t doubt that they will crack and be able to perform some basic throws, I seriously doubt that it will have the weight, balance and perfection of a professionally made whip, let alone perform like one.

I am sure It will appeal to some, but personally I think there are better venues if your looking for a real bullwhip that will perform the way a whip should, for around the same price.

Dan
jyhash
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by jyhash »

Cool guys. Thanks for the info. I think that the purewhips.com site will be the way I'll be going here soon. My current whip is very heavy, and seems like it'd be better hanging on a wall rather than cracking it above my head. I'm looking in the $100-$175 price range. After that I have to start justifying things to my wife, and I don't think now that the Indy Premiere is come and gone, I'll be able to do that for another whip that'll sit in the closet until halloween.

it'd be interesting to see how SA the noble collection whips are, as well as their overall quality.

~JYH
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

A lot of people do seem to really like purewhips.com whips and they do offer an affordable option, so that certainly is something to consider.

Based on the promotion pictures at the site, the noble collection bullwhips are seriously lacking in screen accurate department, compared to any of the bullwhips used in the 4 Indy films.

Dan
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

The information I have is that these whips are made by the same people that make the 4-plait wooden handle bullwhips WSP sells. Here's the link to those whips:

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/m ... ry_Code=AB

Obviously, they modified the whip to make it look more Indyresque. The leather seems to be veg-tanned cowhide, the handle is braided, there's a wrist loop, etc.

Bernardo