Do you ever let anyone touch the hat?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Do you ever let anyone touch the hat?

Post by Chewie Louie »

Ok, so while I patiently wait for my AB, I was wondering . . . when you guys are out and about and someone asks if they can try on or even touch your hat, what do you tell them?
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

I don't really care if a few of my friends try on my old Akubra, but the AB will be STRICTLY off limits (except to the girlfriend) when it arrives. Hopefully it will arrive before Wednesday, since Steve has said I would have it before the premiere.
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Don’t know if it’s true or not, but I’m beginning to use the tactic of saying that in the old days no one use to touch other peoples hats since it’s not hygienic, like touching others socks or else, so far is working great! :rolling: :twisted:
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

I let them try it on... The way I see it, I am helping hat wearing culture to become cool again. I wear an AB as well, and I get compliments about the hat everywhere I go. I don't get a request from people who actually want to try the hat that often, so I don't mind them trying it on. I actually had this one girl ask me if she can try my hat on in the middle of the dance floor in a club. I let her wear it as long as she wanted (Although I never took my eyes off the hat) and I got her number after the dance, so it worked out pretty nice I think...haha. The way I see it it's a great ice breaker/conversation starter and people are always fascinated about this particular hat we are so in love with. After the movie comes out, the interest in OUR hat will only increase.. so be prepared for INDY comment... (It's not an Tee hee Indy with chuckle kinda of comment, it's more like "INDY!! AWESOME!!" comments.... but then again you never get the a teehee indy comment for AB anyway...) Yes sir. We are a cool smooth classy bunch with a dash of adventure thrown in!!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think I would have a problem with just anyone wanting to touch any of my hats. My friends are a different story. I only have one friend, my best friend, in fact, that wears fedoras regularly so I think he would be cool with touching and wearing the AB. But aside from him and the girlfriend, I don't anyone else will be laying hands on my AB. The Keppler is a different story, whenever it comes in, and the DP I could care less about.

Dave
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Depends on what she's like :wink:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

She likes my fedoras and loves to wear them. I think she looks good in them anyway.

Dave
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I generally let anyone who wants to wear my hat. Something about my stern demeanor means that that number is normally pretty small. my girlfriend loves to wear it occasionally, and some of my friends do as well. That's about it, and I'm happy with it that way. :junior: -M
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

nicktheguy wrote:Depends on what she's like :wink:
Exactly....Depends on how beautful she is! Lol!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I had my AB with me when a couple of friends bar hopping. We went to a club and nice blond said she really liked my hat and wanted to use it. She ended up only with my hat on. I was fine with it.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Nope......Not a chance...
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

Cowboy wrote:Nope......Not a chance...
Are you saying you wouldn't let anyone touch your hat or are you refering to BendingOaks' comment? Lol! Just kidding BendingOak!
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

I always try to inhibit, that anyone beside me touch my AB, but sometimes it happens #-o
I think it is our duty to defend our precious hats against the forces of evil :twisted: (hey I´m joking)
In my opinion, an AB is eventually also just a hat, but you should never lose sight of it [-X
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Let’s say any of you guys are on line for KoTCS with your AB, I come close to you with popcorn on my hand, and I say “Oh gee, look at that! An authentic Adventurebilt Deluxe, I can’t believe it, is gorgeous! You must be a fellow COW member! Can I borrow your AB for a second?” All this with my greasy butter popcorn dirty hands... What do you do!?!? :twisted:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Step on your foot and push.
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

Quite the dilemna. On one hand, you realize it will most likely be safe, seeing as how it is someone who understands the beauty and delicate nature of the thing. On the other hand... popcorn grease?!?!

But then again, if you want to add to that distressed look......
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

No. Plain and simple.

Most who know me know not to ask. Anything else I own is pretty much fine.
You can have the shirt off my back before i'll let you touch the hat i'm wearing. The problem being, whenever I'd take the hat off and hand it to somebody to 'look' at it, they'd have the audacity to tweak the bash - of which is always my own! :evil:
From now on people can only inspect the hat I'm wearing the old fashioned way - WITH THEIR EYES! :twisted:
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What he said!!!

Post by mtechthang »

conceited_ape wrote:No. Plain and simple.
In all honesty, if I knew them really well, I would probably say ok (I generally decline on my guitar- I'd let folks play my guitar that I would not let touch my hat!). If not, a stranger say, I'd politely decline. Lyle Lovett quote:

"Don't touch my hat" [-X
Earl Weber
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Earl Weber »

The only ones to ask so far have been pretty girls (that I know). They get the OK. A complete stranger... probably not.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Do you ever let anyone touch the hat?

Post by TonyRush »

Chewie Louie wrote:when you guys are out and about and someone asks if they can try on...your hat, what do you tell them?
No. And I wouldn't let them use my toothbrush, either.

I regard hats -- especially one that's been worn a bit -- as a personal item. When you consider that hats were once considered an aspect of a gentleman's personal hygiene,.....er, no, I won't be letting anyone try on my hat.

Tony
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Wraith1031 wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Nope......Not a chance...
Are you saying you wouldn't let anyone touch your hat or are you refering to BendingOaks' comment? Lol! Just kidding BendingOak!
:wink: Guess
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I generally decline on my guitar- I'd let folks play my guitar that I would not let touch my hat
I generally let someone who I think knows how to handle a guitar play mine. I own a Gibson Les Paul, so it would kill me if something were to happen to it, but I find if you are trusting of someone they generally treat your guitar with respect. Oh, and only if they are seated. No way am I taking the chance some idiot is going to start rocking out and bang the thing against a table or something.

Dave
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

For me, it really depends on who it is (if I know them) or my impression of them (if I don't). I would never let a stranger put it on, and if they didn't strike me as the "respectful of other people's property type" then I don't care if we're blood or not. No touch! Most people, though, seem afraid to touch my hats because they all look so pristine. :lol:
mercat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mercat »

No, just because I've found most people aren't as respectful of other's property as they are their own, and in person I've met maybe one person who would understand why I just spent my iPod savings on "a hat". ;)

Just so you know, I'd probably let you all wear it though! Just promise me your hair's clean and you've washed your hands of popcorny goodness. =P
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Depends on who it is! My Priest loves to play with my hats, but he certainly would not hurt them. Now on the other hand my mother in law is a diferent story she -- well, never mind. But, again it depends on who it is. For the most part I don't get very concerned. I have allowed my three year old grandson to play with mine and never had an issue. So, just keep your eyes open and educate those who don't know how to treat your hat -- kindly! W>
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Generally, nobody asks me. But that's cheating to give that as an answer. :wink: If just a random person came up to me asking to wear it or handle it, I would say no - unless it was somebody who was in gear or had on a fedora of their own. I don't think I'd like them wearing it, but if they wanted to look at it so they could decide on whether to buy one, I'd be happy to let them feel it or look at the inside, stitching, etc.

If one of my cute, female friends asks to wear it, I may just let them try it on. :wink: I love a girl in an Indy fedora. :D But other than that? Strangers who don't immediately look like they know what they're doing, suspicious looking people (wearing handcuffs, orange jumpsuits, covered in blood), or people who just decide that they get to wear it... yeah, they don't get to see my hat. Another pet peeve of mine is when friends slap the brim. :evil:

Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

WConly wrote:Depends on who it is! My Priest loves to play with my hats, but he certainly would not hurt them.
I need two hats... a young hat, and an old hat... :lol:

Over the years I've become pretty keen on identifying those folks who would really respect the hat versus those who would have no idea how to handle it. Like many, it depends on the person, too.
Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Super Sleuth »

No I wouldnt cause Iv had some bad experiences in this field. I will admit I do get paranoid at times but its just a defense mechanism. I have had some pretty good things in my life which were ruined by people who wanted to try it out.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Two people have ever grabbed my hat and ran---The first would later become my wife, and it was the first time we'd met.

The second was a few months later, at a halloween party. A friend thought it'd be funny to try it--so he swiped it off my head and took off at a dead run.

I pursued, uncoiling my 12' Cattle Baron whip at the same time---he'd gotten about 30 feet when I cracked the whip about three feet behind his head.

He froze immediately, turned on his heel, gingerly handed me back my hat and apologized. Nobody's tried it since. That was 1989. :-
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

PyramidBlaster wrote:Two people have ever grabbed my hat and ran---The first would later become my wife, and it was the first time we'd met.

The second was a few months later, at a halloween party. A friend thought it'd be funny to try it--so he swiped it off my head and took off at a dead run.

I pursued, uncoiling my 12' Cattle Baron whip at the same time---he'd gotten about 30 feet when I cracked the whip about three feet behind his head.

He froze immediately, turned on his heel, gingerly handed me back my hat and apologized. Nobody's tried it since. That was 1989. :-
Well, there you have a story to tell! Well, actually two good stories! :lol:
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

PyramidBlaster wrote:he'd gotten about 30 feet when I cracked the whip about three feet behind his head.
Wow....that's a long whip! ;)

Tony
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Wow....that's a long whip!
You missed the part where I 'Pursued while uncoiling my whip'...

Actually, I do have a 20'...But that's a different story... :wink:
Young Indy729
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Young Indy729 »

DR Ulloa wrote:
I generally decline on my guitar- I'd let folks play my guitar that I would not let touch my hat
I generally let someone who I think knows how to handle a guitar play mine. I own a Gibson Les Paul, so it would kill me if something were to happen to it, but I find if you are trusting of someone they generally treat your guitar with respect. Oh, and only if they are seated. No way am I taking the chance some idiot is going to start rocking out and bang the thing against a table or something.

Dave
Im The same way, I have a Gibson Les Paul(that I worked Hard for) and I only let my closest guitar playing friends touch it.

As far as the hat only the pretty girls. 8)
If I remember correctly Indy has only let Elsa Shenider wear his.