I really like these LL BEAN's

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I really like these LL BEAN's

Post by Chewie Louie »

Thanks to the suggestions of many here at COW, I have purchased a few pair of chinos at LL Bean. However, it's this pair that I really like:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 02702-sub2

It's the microfiber hidden-comfort pants, pleated in the apparently desired Taupe color. Neat features include a concealed elastic waist for a comfortable stretch. (nice if your weight fluctuates) The right front pocket has a second pocket within it that zippers (great for wallets, passports, etc.) Two back flap pockets with the right one also closing via zipper.

Finally, the pants are very comfortable and the color is good enough for me. I'll try to post pics soon.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Pants from L.L.Bean are so modest, that it is sometimes outrageous :lol:
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

Those trousers look great. My only concern would be that the fact that they are microfibre that they would be really hot in warm weather. Microfibre being polyester and all.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I just ordered their field shirt in a non Indy blue color. It's a really well made shirt but pretty heavy material. It could get hot this summer. I've been thinking of getting their regular chinos in an Indy color, they don't currently have taupe. that was semi off topic haha

p.s. how was the sizing on the chinos? I originally ordered a medium shirt going by their sizing chart and it was like a tent on me. had to return it for a small and it was perfect.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

I've always worried about getting more chinos. They never really fit that well on me. The waist would be extremely tight, while the rest of the pants were way too big. And I'm a skinny guy too.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Argonaut, try looking in thrift stores. I found several LL Bean chinos there and paid no more than $3.50 for them! :wink:
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Thanks for the tip. 8) I don't have any good pants or shirts so I ought to check some of the local thrift stores before the premiere.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Most certainly do! My initial Indy shirt and pants are thrift store finds! :wink:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Argonaut wrote:I've always worried about getting more chinos. They never really fit that well on me. The waist would be extremely tight, while the rest of the pants were way too big. And I'm a skinny guy too.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll do the thrift store run to check some out.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Hunter Jones wrote:Those trousers look great. My only concern would be that the fact that they are microfibre that they would be really hot in warm weather. Microfibre being polyester and all.
I wore them the other day here in South Florida. Not hot at all. Besides, you know all those dri-fit athletic shirts and outfits they use for runners/triathletes? Made out of polyester. It's not always the material, but how the fabric is put together. Also MLB jerseys are made of polyester. I suppose you could go cotton if you were George Costanza. lol
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Argonaut wrote:I've always worried about getting more chinos. They never really fit that well on me. The waist would be extremely tight, while the rest of the pants were way too big. And I'm a skinny guy too.
I have purchased quite a few LL Bean chinos in my time (and also got my hands on one one of Bink's thrift finds, thank you). I've noticed even their regular fit is cut generously, so they might not be to your tastes, Argonaut. Of course, I didn't have any LL Bean chinos back when I could be considered skinny... At least they have a "return for any reason" policy.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
I have purchased quite a few LL Bean chinos in my time (and also got my hands on one one of Bink's thrift finds, thank you). I've noticed even their regular fit is cut generously, so they might not be to your tastes, Argonaut. Of course, I didn't have any LL Bean chinos back when I could be considered skinny... At least they have a "return for any reason" policy.
I'm thin so this is looking less and less like an option. And they're great to deal with on returns. it's easiest to call them for expedited returns.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I'm wondering if the microfiber slacks could be considered more 'real world' adventure-ready...As anyone who's spent loads of time out in the wilds knows, cotton can be a killer...I love it, but it loses all insulating properties when wet...And takes forever to dry...Synthetics work much better in a 'survival' situation....

...not that I'd wear ALL my gear in 'the wilds'....
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Thanks. Guess I might avoid buying them in the future. But how about their classic fit chinos? They have a dark khaki. Don't know how screen-accurate that is, but it's supposed to be their slimmest fit.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ppxs&dds=y
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Virtually all my work pants are Beans – I have both the microfiber and the standard dress Chinos (more of the later actually.) The Taupe color is really good on the micros, and is very lightweight so good for FL, but seems a little thin for true “adventuring.” If I were to “costume,” these would be the pant’s I’d wear out of my collection because of the color and drape. The only trick is when I take them out of the dryer they have wicked static cling, but just rub them down with a fabric softener sheet and they’re good to go.
The Chinos are heavier and feel more substantial for wearing in “the wild” - that’s if you plan on wearing khakis there of course.
The dark khaki is the closest color to the movie in the standard dress chinos, but it is lighter. In normal lighting it looks similar to the outside shots in ROTLA. They used to have a color called “Sepia,” but they discontinued that one, and of course we all know and lament that Taupe was discontinued years ago…
BTW, I just looked at the link above, and at least on my monitor the dark khaki looks much darker on the screen than in real life, so be warned...
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

I am actually wearing a pair of the dk khaki LL Bean dress chinos at this very moment. In fact this is my first pair, and I am quite pleased with the fit and color, as I compare them to my Magnoli pants.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Argonaut wrote: how about their classic fit chinos? They have a dark khaki. Don't know how screen-accurate that is, but it's supposed to be their slimmest fit.
The dark Khaki is not SA, but it's the closest color they offer besides the taupe microfiber. I like dark khaki, personally. I prefer the classic fit. The top front area where the pleats are looks much less baggy than on the other fits. There's plenty of room in them, and they will look better. Just remember that the pockets are not slanted unless you get the comfort waist, and I don't think classic fit has that option. It doesn't bother me, but it may bother some.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Panama Tom Jr. wrote:Virtually all my work pants are Beans – I have both the microfiber and the standard dress Chinos (more of the later actually.) The Taupe color is really good on the micros, and is very lightweight so good for FL, but seems a little thin for true “adventuring.” If I were to “costume,” these would be the pant’s I’d wear out of my collection because of the color and drape. The only trick is when I take them out of the dryer they have wicked static cling, but just rub them down with a fabric softener sheet and they’re good to go.
The Chinos are heavier and feel more substantial for wearing in “the wild” - that’s if you plan on wearing khakis there of course.
The dark khaki is the closest color to the movie in the standard dress chinos, but it is lighter. In normal lighting it looks similar to the outside shots in ROTLA. They used to have a color called “Sepia,” but they discontinued that one, and of course we all know and lament that Taupe was discontinued years ago…
BTW, I just looked at the link above, and at least on my monitor the dark khaki looks much darker on the screen than in real life, so be warned...
Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Argonaut wrote: how about their classic fit chinos? They have a dark khaki. Don't know how screen-accurate that is, but it's supposed to be their slimmest fit.
The dark Khaki is not SA, but it's the closest color they offer besides the taupe microfiber. I like dark khaki, personally. I prefer the classic fit. The top front area where the pleats are looks much less baggy than on the other fits. There's plenty of room in them, and they will look better. Just remember that the pockets are not slanted unless you get the comfort waist, and I don't think classic fit has that option. It doesn't bother me, but it may bother some.
Thanks. That's what I needed to know.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I have the taupe microfiber and while they have the color down besides back-flap pockets and pleats, they're a little thin for adventuring. Really nice though. I believe the twill Officer Pink from Orvis would be better for that.