The best adventure boots ?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

I´m just pretty interested which type of boot anyone of you choose, if he knows, that he is going to be on a real adventurous journey :whip:
I think for all of you, who wear and know Aldens quite long, it is clear, that those are great shoes, but by all means too expensive for me to expose them to risk [-X
When I know, that a really "hard" journey is in store for me, I would always choose my Desert boots.
They are durable, extremely resilient, everything but not inflexible and I think they are also stylistic tolerable :lol:
Now what do you choose when you know that you gonna go through the worst case ^^ :?:
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

A few months ago I went on a 15 mile hike in a pair of those and my feet were bleeding when I got to my destination. Not a fan. They are good for short periods though.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

They were new weren´t they :?:
When I got mine, it was the same, but after some month of wearing they fit like a glove :wink: Now what do you prefer instead :?:
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

When I was at Fort Huachuca for Military Intelligence training, I got a pair of Bellville boots. As soon as I put them on, I felt like I could go on a 20 mile ruck march right then and there. They are so comfortable.
Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arlington Beech »

I have almost those exact boots (though mine are Canadian army issue desert combats).

Was looking for an inexpensive boot after my winter ones fell apart (gotta save up some cash to get a pair of Aldens). Though...had to relearn how to walk...imagine that..dessert combats were not made for walking on ice...lol

Though once they got broken in and the tread roughed up a bit, they've held up quite well (and all for 34 bucks)
Titus Pulo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Titus Pulo »

These are my current adventure boots. They are probably too stiff for most people not carrying a heavy load and they have a stiff rubber rand that will KILL your feet if they do not fit properly. All in all they serve my purposes well.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBo ... y=2&Type=M

I have always wanted to try some desert boots so I appreciate what others have shared their insight. My family members who are US Mil swear by Belleville.
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

i know i keep talking about these but:
yes there corcoans i love the style i think they would be great for jungle hiking because there high and some have a water proof feature.
and there ww2 so they would match indy's style.
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

I love my Raichle scouts, but I mis my old leather GPs.
Secret for leather shoes, put em in a bucket of water, for 6 hours, then put on the socks your going to wear with them, then put the shoes on full of water. keep them on for about another 6 hours and let them dry...
What we did in the army and it worked a treat. Never had a blister.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Depends on whether I'm out in the winter or summer. Different boots for different conditions.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Giben wrote:i know i keep talking about these but:
yes there corcoans i love the style i think they would be great for jungle hiking because there high and some have a water proof feature.
I just fall in love! :shock: Where can I purchase a pair of these and how much are they?
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

well i am not familliar with the prices i saw some repros for £60 ($120)
and then there are the official ones made by i think the same company that made them for ww2 us paratroopers there a little bit more i think $200
i found this picture at at the front:
http://www.atthefront.com/
there under us/footwear/paratrooper boots

BUT,
if you want them made by the proper manufacturers from indys time (proably bought by china)
have a look around here:
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp
under
ww2 us/clothing/footwear/page three at the bottom thats the proper ones.
but have a look around baybe ther are some supplyers in your counrty.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Boots are too heavy for my adventures. I prefer something lightweight and comfortable. Usually a good lightweight shoe. Right now I'm wearing a good pair of "no boundaries" shoes with suede leather and man made uppers. They don't have much tread, but I think that's a good thing. Tread is highly overrated. The shoes have good rubbery grip still. I want my shoes to be tough enough to last a while, but most boots are just clod-hoppers. I prefer to be light on my feet. I should post a picture of the ones I've got now sometime.
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

Did anyone notice that the ATF Paratrooper high-top boot is also available in a half-boot. They call it the Service Shoe. Check it out. My order is in the mail.

Many Thanks
Randoman
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Just like to give everyone a heads up about the Jump Boots from At The Front. While they may look great, the leather is incredibly cheap. I purchased a pair a little over a year ago and have regretted it. Scuff them against something, even a very light scuff, and the leather surface will peel off. I wore the boots for a few days work, but after that I was afraid that I would absolutely ruin their appearance by wearing them so they have been retired. Also, there is no padding inside. While it may be WWII accurate, that makes them rather uncomfortable, as it is just the compressed leather sole inside. I had to add some inserts to be able to wear them for a day.

If you are going to get a pair of these, get them from the people who made them originally. I do not have a pair from them, but all of the reviews I have read have been great. I still regret not ordering these in the first place. THESE are real boots. Not just a reenactors day shoe.

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/It ... egoryID=34
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

thanks for posting the official link i couldnt seem to find the website some how.
SR5150
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SR5150 »

I bought a pair of ex-German Para Boots like these: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop ... cr381.html from my local Army&Navy store.

They're VERY comfortable and hard wearing: I've had them 10+ years and they still look and feel great. A snip at £20 I thought! 8)

Steve
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

SR5150 wrote:I bought a pair of ex-German Para Boots like these: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop ... cr381.html from my local Army&Navy store.

They're VERY comfortable and hard wearing: I've had them 10+ years and they still look and feel great. A snip at £20 I thought! 8)

Steve

Now these look just like the ones I had back in the army. Very comfortable, indeed ... but I'm still looking for some brown boots (the German Army made a brown version of these, but only a few in the 70s ... when this black boot became the "standard").
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

I have a pair of the desert boots mentioned in the first post and they are ok. They breath well are fairly comfortable but have no ankle support really. If I'm just going out for the day I'll normally grab those boots.

Now if I'm actually going out in the field for an extended period of time I will normally grab either a pair of old all leather GI boots, however those have since been trashed cause they finally fell apart. Or I would grab my Chippewa boots.

Here they are next to my Aldens.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

I would have to say it all depends on where youre adventure takes you. Bellville makes some of the best current military boots you can get and they are what is being issued to all US military. They have tanker, waterproof and cold weather boots. Aldens of course are for those who prefer the Indy look and they feel great after a long day on your feet (or at least mine do). I wear Colombia's low cut Trail Meister. These fit great and go with almost anything. They have a very good traction too.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Jens wrote:
Giben wrote:i know i keep talking about these but:
I just fall in love! :shock: Where can I purchase a pair of these and how much are they?
I got those aswell but not from the brand corcorans. I've been doing some WWII re-enactment since earlier this year and those are the paratrooper jumpboots from WWII. I got the replica ones and they are even better than the originals. Most re-enactors in Belgium and Holland use them cos they last longer than the Concorans. I bought my replica's in Holland and the replica's cost 95 euro and the original corcorans costs about 160€. Don't know how much it is in US dollars. Check it out on http://www.clementstrading.com/Cat-US-A ... borne.html