whip kit/or do it myself

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

wolf2hawks
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

whip kit/or do it myself

Post by wolf2hawks »

I've been thinking about trying to make my own whip. I've got all the major whip-making/braiding books(Edwards, Morgan, Grant, planning on getting the Robert Black Marlin-Spike knotworks DVDs) and due to an interest in leatherworking, I've got most of the Tools, plus I know where I can find the leather.

What I was wondering, on the first whip, would the Matt Welsby "roll your own" whip kits be the way to go(I know he's been a major supporter of the IndyGear site for years). Or....

If I do try to do everything myself-Should I go with the roo-hide(which I know the best whips are made from) and make it a more expensive lessons when/not if I make a mistake.... :oops: OR....

Cowhide--which is a little bit less expensive(not by much, just extra hide per square footage) lesson when/if I make a mistake. If so, what weight leather do I use (2/3 ounce, 4/5 ounce, 6/7 ounce). OR option three....

Ready-cut lace in either cow or roo hide, and if so, what width do I go with. I do know of a gent by the name of Jim Downey who advertises in Leather-Crafters journal that sells pre-cut lace from 3/32-3/8 of an inch from $39-74 dollars in 54 yard(3/32) to 27 yard(3/8).

I do know para-cord is an option, but I just prefer leather.

Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

I would keep the learning curve as cheap as possible, unless you have pretty deep pockets. How about goat?
Personally I wouldnt do the kit, and precut is too expensive.
Finally, I reccomend paracord. It will help you to work out plaiting patterns, adding strands, dropping strands etc on the cheap.
The paracord was $50/1000ft. Ebay is more than fully funding my learning curve. I am learning for *FREE*. I have enough cord for at least 3 more whips, and those will fund my hide purchase. I *STILL* get to learn for free.
That is what is working for me anyway.
R
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I don't think Matt Welsby is actively selling anymore...but I could be wrong.

Louie
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

at

Post by BendingOak »

don't do the kit.beside the prep- cut is a lot of money you miss out on a big part of the lerning.
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

Go with cow if you're going to cut your own strands, the precut lace has no tapper. Or go with rjallen on paracord if you just want to work on plaiting. I think I used 4±oz on my first and seemed ok.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

louiefoxx wrote:I don't think Matt Welsby is actively selling anymore...but I could be wrong.

Louie
That is my understanding as well. It's been awhile. If you are interested in really learning there are a few whipmakers here that have offered to do like a long weekend workshop on the basics. Over the years, there were a few that offered to do this hands-on type training.
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: whip kit/or do it myself

Post by kooniu »

wolf2hawks wrote:I've been thinking about trying to make my own whip. I've got all the major whip-making/braiding books(Edwards, Morgan, Grant, planning on getting the Robert Black Marlin-Spike knotworks DVDs) and due to an interest in leatherworking, I've got most of the Tools, plus I know where I can find the leather.....
any way is good - You must begin only !!!

when I start my first whip, I have a scissors , a line and several fotos as whip looks inside :( 8)
ST
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ST »

If your looking for a kit Murphywhips has one. http://www.murphywhips.com/MW03G001BullwhipKit.html
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

You could go it on your own, but I personally wouldn’t start with kangaroo hide. It’s rare that a first time whip maker is satisfied with their first few whips, most just consider them learning experiences. No point in waisting good Kangaroo skins just yet.

Matt Welsby has been out of the loop for years now; I wouldn’t even bother trying to order from him anymore.

The whip making kits are a good way to start learning the basics of plaiting and whip construction hands on, but they aren’t for everyone. Mike Murphy’s stockwhips kits are very nice, I’ve made one and it turned out just fine. Peter Jack http://www.thewhipman.co.nz/ also does very good whip making kits that you can customize in kangaroo or cowhide in any plait or length. so something else to keep in mind

Dan