Adventurebilt Hats

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Adventurebilt Hats

Post by rrhanselka »

Being somewhat new, I have a question which will probably seem dumb to you oldtimers.

I see everybody talking about different AB hats. The website I go to says specifically that they only make one hat at one price. What's up? What am I missing?

I own 2 Stetsons which I bought back in the early 80's soon after the movie came out. Both are like new, but I thought I'd get a little better hat, like an Akubra Federation or Miller or an Adventurebilt. For my purposes, however, I do not need to spend $300-$500 on a beaver hat.

Any info would help.

Thanks
Randoman
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

If you go out on the market and look at what most people are charging for beaver, the adventurebilt is remarkably cheap - people like Baron's hats ( :evil: ) charge around $700 for a pure beaver hat. Steve, meanwhile charges $350 - and the only reason he's charging that was because so many people were buying hats from him that his lead times were going through the roof.

The AB deluxe, meanwhile, costs $500 because it is using the best materials in the business, period. If you were to price a hat like that on the open market it would be about $1100, so again, Marc is giving you a remarkable bargain.

Besides just the extremely high quality of their felt, both the AB and AB deluxe are made using the most screen-accurate block in the business, and they are the only one's making an Indy hat using the ribbon originally used in Raider.

If you don't think that's worth the money, that's fine. The federation will provide you a good hat at a good price. But if you want the ULTIMATE Indiana Jones fedora, and the fedora that was used in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, look no further than Adventurebilt Hat Company. :junior: -M
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

How much are the AB rabbits?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

AB no longer makes rabbit hats. :wink:
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Steve has stopped making the rabbits, so your best bet for an actual AB rabbit would be a used one. However, Indy Magnoli has rabbit felt HJ Poets that are reblocked/rebuilt by Steve; I believe the price is $295. My advice, spend the extra $50 for a 100% beaver AB. Or, if you really want a rabbit, go with a Federation or Fed Deluxe.
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

If you want a custom Beaver hat, made the style you want and the color you want and you want it in 2 or 3 months not a year or longer check out Art's site.
http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/
Art doesn't do Indy hats, he leaves that to Steve and Marc and besides he likes variety and working with the customer to make something unique.
Bob.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Don't forget the guys at AdventureBilt make a real fine Hungarian Gulasch and the AB also makes a fine beer mug as well. :tup:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

agent5 wrote: and the AB also makes a fine beer mug as well. :tup:
... or Pepsi mug for those under 21! :lol:

Randoman, if you want to specifically stay under the price of an AB beaver hat, but still want a better Indy hat that a Stetson, I recommend avoiding the Miller. It's not a bad hat, but for the money the Federations are much better. If you have the patience to hunt down an old rabbit AB (or a discounted beaver AB), then I'd say give it a try. And if you like a more "western felt" (in other words, stiff), there are a few other options, like Peter Bros.

As for a non-Indy, I can't agree with cooncat more about Art, but that's getting back to the $300 beaver hat again.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

To answer your question, there are two Adventurebilt Hat people, and one would be Steve (Mississippi), and one would be Marc (Germany) who makes the Adventurebilt "Deluxe".

Sounds like you would want to go with the Akubra Federation - Can't lose, especially for the price... When you get the money, you can upgrade to the AB or AB Deluxe.

That's what I did. :D

MB
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Also, remember that the factory ABs should be available soon. They will look exactly like the handmade ABs, but cost a lot less. This would be a great option for someone on a budget.

Jack
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Also, if you're on a budget & want a 50/50 beaver rabbit blend & can't afford the AB then might I suggest Camptown Hats. Their 1936 Fieldmaster starts out a little stiff, but once you handle it for a while, it softens right up and feels great.
If at some time you can afford the 350 clams, go for the pure beaver AB.
Either way, you won't be sorry.

Cheers!

Dan
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Adventurebilt Hats

Post by nicetrylaoche »

rrhanselka wrote:I see everybody talking about different AB hats. The website I go to says specifically that they only make one hat at one price. What's up? What am I missing?
Try going to the site: www.adventurebilt.com
This page gives you an option to go to Marc's site (for the AB Deluxe or Steve's site for the reg. AB) Good luck with your search!!!
-Zack