David Morgan Adventurer

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

David Morgan Adventurer

Post by Rambler »

I ordered one on Sunday.
I will post pictures as soon as i get it
W
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

An Adventurer kind of looks like a short Federation to some of us. It's "mid brown", so you won't be able to decide if it's brown or green.. You might want to exchange it for the spectacular David Morgan Bushman, (which is $20 cheaper.) Tomorrow I will post side by side open crown pics of my new DM Bushman and new hatsdirect "Bushman". I think the hatsdirect "Bushman" and the Adventurer might have the same enemic block. I could be wrong- an Adventurer may have the Bushman's block, but why don't you hold off on bashing the hat even a little till you see my post. (So you can return it, if you like.) Please get head on and side on open crown shots, though, so we can see what's up with the Adventurer block!
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rambler »

Will do.
Thanks for all the posts on this subject.
I really waffled back and forth on the Morgan order with the Bushman being my other choice. I am newly registered here but have been lurking for quite a while. I have read most of the posts regarding the merits and drawbacks of the various Indy hats offered by vendors or (re)created by the folks here.
As for Indy hats, I only have an old (1981 or so) promo wool hat. But, I have a bunch of other hats of all kinds. Most of the felt hats are western styled since I used to do a lot of Cowboy action shooting. For daily wear, I often go with an Irish cap.
For my first new fedora (I have a couple of old ones from thrift stores etc), I decided to go with the Adventurer over the bushman mostly just to get one as a daily wear hat. I was not necessarily looking for a SA Indy hat right away. I figured as long as it is of decent quality and the right size, I can practice bashing on it and have an ok lid to wear around.

You seem to be concerned with the block of the open hats with regard to wanting them to be as stright as possible. I definitely see your point about how it is necessary in order to get the reverse taper and under band folds you have pointed out. I was not looking as much for the straight crown since I have a big head (I ordered a 62 but a 61 might have fit considering Akubra sizing) and I have found that having a little taper and not quite so tall crown makes for a better proportioned look for it on my noggin. A big hat with a stright crown starts looking a little like a Hoss Cartwright to me!
But, back to the reverse taper and folds, I think the souffle look in some shots is due to the crown being stretched out from being overworked and them bashed back into shape.
Well it should arrive right after Christmas, so we'll see how it looks.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

What I don't understand is why anyone would order it when you could get a better looking hat, the Federation from Ron at Hatsdirect. Afterall, Ron is the guy who went out on a limb for us, and took a chance by investing in a hat he did not know would sell. I am a firm believer in shopping with the guys who HELPED us out when we could not find a tall enough hat, a few years ago. Now that EVERYONE want to capitalize on the new interest in Indy by offering their own Indy hat, we should see these guys for what they are. Where were they when we needed them? Ron was the only one who bit the bullet, took a chance and worked with us here at COW.

On my site, I have added Ron's link for folks looking for a great priced rabbit hat. I am loyal to those guys who helped us out, and always will be. Morgan could have worked with Akubra years ago to get something closer to what an Indy fedora really is, but passed. The only guy that stepped up was Ron. I don't think we need to forget that, IMHO. Fedora
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rambler »

With all due respect, please read what I posted, I was not ready for an authentic Indy hat right away (meaning, yet, or I will get one in the not so distant future) I plan to get one from HatsDirect and or someone else once I decide on the look I am going for.
I was already placing an order from Morgan for some other items and ended up putting a hat on the order too. A lot of folks have been wanting to see one anyway. So, at the very least, I get it, photograph it measure the thickness with calipers etc and if it is really rotton, send it back and eat the shipping.

I truly respect the vendors who stick their necks out for those who are essentially, hobbyists and reenactors (I have done Cowboy, Civil War, Medieval, Viking, and costuming for theater) and I have and will continue to support them.
But, sometimes you just want to buy something you see elsewhere. It is not purchased in lieu of but rather in addition to the things from the dedicated vendors.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Been waiting for an Akubra fedora style in a 5.5 crown forever.
Ah yes. I understand completely. Fedora
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

They're not. The Feds are staying at 6". Which works for some, but not for others.
I kind of tend to agree with you on this one. I got my Fed the other day whist waiting to order my AB and I find the crown a bit too tall for my head.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

the akubra fed height works fine with me as it plays good with the wider brim which is also ok on my face imo. i just wished they could get a more SA bow on her.....same goes for the explorer.

changing the bow however would kill any tell tale sign that it was an akubra unfortunately, so some of the die hard akubra fans would not be amused.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Preventing a hat that could be a really good, well-priced, and more suitably spec'd hat for some Indy fans looking to spend a bit less, from being recommended, seems counter productive to the purpose of an Indiana Jones Resource based forum, however.
Sorry, AC, I've been out of the state for the past week and must have missed the memo. Exactly when was it stated this hat, or any particular item for that matter, could not be reviewed or recommended as a possible Indy hat? I'm clueless as to where the heck that idea, let alone thought process even came from. :shock:

Fedora stated his opinion, and that's his right. Just where have you read that the administration of COW has taken such a stand on this Akubra?

Please regale me with an explaination! I'd honestly like to know.:-s

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Rambler, The Bushman has a 5 1/2 inch crown also. .... Feds have so much dome, they have to be tall. If the crown gets lowered, and the dome profile stays the same- there won't much felt to work with in the crown. Of course, we won't know if that's the case until we see one. ... I think Fedora was disturbed by my comment that the Hatsdirect Bushman was enemic compared to the DM. It's really not the same model, ( it's called a Bushman Featherweight, and I'm sure you could get a regular Bushman from Hatsdirect.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Could be, 3KB, but to make a statement it was the position of the 'forum' to not recommend or review this hat for/to the Indygear community flat came out of left field. :?

I'm still puzzled about that one.

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm not enamoured by how the DM was produced either, nor with the fact the Morgan co. completely turned their backs on this group when the hat developments were on-going, but since HatsDirect/Akubra/DM have ironed out the snafu in the creation of the Adventurer, it's there, it's available, and if it works out for folks, go for it.

Regards! Michaelson
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

After the hat was yanked off the site originally I assumed Dave would come back with a hat with a darker ribbon. I was told he was looking into it. I guess from the pics on the site that didn't pan out for him. Which is kinda disappointing. I really don't want to buy a hat I have to "modify" from the start.....I'm just not that handy when it comes to sewing and all of that....

I think it's nice to have a lot of different options available out there in the $100 to $200 price range when it comes to the hats. I want to hear peoples opinions on this hat and I *hope* Steve's factory AB project gets going.....

I don't think anyone here wouldn't want to read a review of Dave's new hat. I do agree a little that when it comes to the hats the AB and Akubra's do seem to kinda dominate the majority of the threads.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Glad you took the time to show where you're coming from, but once again, what you reposted of mine was entirely my opinion based on a situation that I had presented to me by both sides in private of the creation of the hat, which I have paraphrased in my last post above. Nothing new here. The posts you pulled was also written BEFORE DM pulled his first offering, worked things out with HatsDirect and Akubra before a lawsuit ensued, then RE-INTRODUCED his new hat in his catalog. With the exception of the thread in October, all your links above go clear back to last summer, and at the time of the initial offering of the original DM hat. In my case, THAT was the one I had problems with specificially.

At no time has my writings ever been offered as being the 'official stand' of Indygear.com, and I'm still wanting to know why you think the way you do on that point.

If you decide to not post a review, well and good, that's your call...but don't point at the forum or COW as being the reason.

I've never known you to ever cut and run because you thought you might catch some flack from other peoples opinions, AC, but then, as others have done, you have to choose the hills you're willing to die on if you believe in something strongly enough. I can't blame you for that one, but do it for the right reasons, old friend.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah....'very dangerous...YOU go first....' :lol:

Regard. Michaelson
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

sorry

Post by Rambler »

I did not realize I was opening up a can of worms mentioning the DM "A" hat. Sorry about that. I am a newbie and I did not go far enough back in the dusty warehouse of posts regarding the DM to see the history of it.
I should be getting the dreaded object soon according to the UPS tracking. I will post photos and measurements and keep my opinion and my hat to myself ;^) ](*,)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

We can get the specs and see a photo from the DM site/catalog.

We'd like a review.

Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Please don't keep the opinion of the hat to yourself. Tell us what you think, as I, for one, am interested to see your opinion and any photos.

Reviews and photos are a great thing in this hobby. Without those, how would anyone on this forum have anything to compare to? No one would be willing to take the plunge on anything because they didn't know the ins and outs of the product from those who have.

Again, please don't keep the review/opinions to yourself.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Rambler, here's those hats I told you about. If your hat looks like the one on the right, do yourself a favor and return it for the David Morgan Bushman, on the Left. ....................... Image Image
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

AC, I guess I'm surprised, too, that you would feel so cautious regarding your review. I'm another who values your opinion because you tend to back it up and stand up for what you feel, regardless of what other's think. Heck, 3k still posts his findings and opinions, and I repect them highly regardless of whether I agree with all his theories or not! :lol: I believe that much is owed to those in this hobby who have put forth the questions, concerns, and reviews of gear, regardless of what others think, because much improvement in the gear has been brought about due to it, as well as a wider variety of gear available in general. But I respect your decision to share your opinions as you please. I just wish I knew why you felt so persecuted.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I think Fedora was disturbed by my comment that the Hatsdirect Bushman was enemic compared to the DM. It's really not the same model, ( it's called a Bushman Featherweight, and I'm sure you could get a regular Bushman from Hatsdirect.
On not at all 3M$. I never gave that any thought at all. I think the Federation, can be vastly improved in blockshape. When Ron got that hat for us, he was going more for a generic 1930's fedora, with a taller crown that most of us thought at that time was essential. Time proved us wrong. He was leary about even associating it with the Indy fedora, at the time. But, he listened to 4 of us who were working with him on getting us a taller crowned hat, when no one else seemed interested in doing so. So, I have an allegiance to Ron, and will freely admit I am a supporter of him, and his company. But, this does not reflect the Admin. position, only my own. I am a clanish guy. When in the cabinet making business, I always stayed with my original vendors, even when I could have saved a few bucks by changing suppliers. That is the old way of conducting business. And one that I am quite comfortable with. You build friendships, and a good working relationship with suppliers when you conduct business in this manner. So, this will explain my allegiance to ANY supplier, and when you add to that, I am a vocal guy......... :lol:

The above posted pic of the hat on the left looks pretty good. It certainly is straighter, but the derby-ish side shot is lacking IMHO. But from the front, it is pretty darn close. It lacks the morp from a regular oval into a round oval, which the Raiders fedora did have. But, a vast improvement over many other Indy hats. IMHO. Fedora
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

DM Adventurer just arrived

Post by Rambler »

UPS is hard at work on Christmas eve and delivered my order from David Morgan 3 days early.
I have opened the Adventurer and checked it out. I will post pictures soon but with 3 little kids anticipating Santa, my Mom visiting, my wife at work today and tomorrow evening and me cooking Xmas dinner now, it will have to wait!

Preliminary specs, size 62, a little big but okay with felt padding fore and aft to correct for my rounder head. Crown is 5.5" brim is raw, already somewhat snap-brim fedora shaped (definitely not a derby upturn) and measures approximately:
front 2 15/16" (under band, brim "snapped" up
rear 2 13/16"
sides 2 11/16"
rim thickness, just shy of 1/8"

color is derfinitely brown with no hint of green and an overall matte felt finish
Ribbon is 1 1/2" wide, shiny brown of nearly the same hue as the hat felt.
The bow has a second portion to the rear stiched behind and above the main fan. Will be obvious in picture.

Front profile is quite stright sided with the temple areas under the ribbon being flat to the point of appearing dented in.
Side profile is decidedly less stovepipeish at front and rear of crown and has a somewhat rounded taper.
Sweatband is brown leather with "made in Australia" and "Akubra" right and left sides respectively. "Adventurer" in front. Lining is white satin with a clear plastic crown covering the gold and red 2 rampant lion Akubra creast and "Imperial Quality" and "Pure Fur Felt"
While not as straight as the DM Bushman pictured above left by 3thoubucks it appears a little straighter than the Hats direct Bushman same picture above right (although the band looks the same shape. I think they probably used the same blank and reworked it to be more Fedora-like and less derby-like in the brim as shipped.
Overall a fine use of those pesky Aussie rabbits.
I will take before and after pics from my bashing attempts.
I will practice on this one and get something better once i have learned some techniques.
Thanks for all the info so far.
gotta go, my goose and rib roast are calling
The oven timer is going off...or is that the smoke detector!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry so late to come back to this, Rambler.

Thank you very much for your fine review. It is appreciated! Hope your goose didn't get too cooked.......er...you know what I mean. 8-[ :wink:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
jkingrph
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkingrph »

I looked at those, and considering I hae a brown Adventurebilt coming very soon dediced to pass, and order probably another AB in gray or maybe pecan. Will probably decide in a couple of days. I also looked at the Camp Town, but can now afford better so why not!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not sure I understood that last comment, considering the Camptown is a beaver blend, and both Akubra's are rabbit felt..... :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The more I bash the closer I get to Fedora Nirvana

Post by Rambler »

"Fedoravana":
that has a nice ring to it!
My wife is getting tired of seeing me with a hat in my hands basically tearing it apart and putting it back together. But, this hands on approach is really helping me come to understand the terminology and discussions I have read in the forum.

I have tried to get a ROTLA bash and come to the conclusion that 3K$ has some very valid points regarding turning etc. First, some of the offerings in hats NOW available, allow for bashes that are SA given that one orders a correctly sized hat.

However, looking at the SA hats, there is obviously some non-standard size issues that create the shape that is desirable to so many. I know that Fedora has talked about this in some previous posts that Ford is between sizes. Well, I am too and I ordered a size too big and put the spacer felts from DM in the fore and aft positions and it tweaks the hat the same as if you were to take the hat, while OFF your head and press the sides together a little bit. The front brim and rear brim will tip down if they started that way and the sides will likewise tip upward a little.
This phenomenon (look up topology for more info) is to be expected. Combine this with a turn to get asymmetry and you get the desired brim.
I am next going to try over-tightening the band to see how that affects the look in terms of the fullness.
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Dimentional brim

Post by Rambler »

I was just measuring the brim of my DM Adv and noticed that the left side is abou 1/8' wider than the right. This seems to be compensating for the bow and not making it look as though the left is narrower due to the bow taking up some space.
Is this common?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Considering the Akubra hats are commercially made, sure, if the brim cutting machine is out of calibration. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

It's even now

Post by Rambler »

Regardless of what Akubra intended the brim size to be, I used a pair of fabric shears to trim the brim and to even it up. I then sanded the edge to smooth it. It is amazing what a difference a small amout of trimming makes. I removed at most 1/8" in places and the result is 2 7/8" (73mm) front and rear, 2 11/16" (68mm) sides. Much better.
genphideaux
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by genphideaux »

Rambler,

Can you please post some pics?
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

;0
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

piiictuurrreessss......shoooow usss ssssooommme piiicturreessss! :twisted:
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Picture at last: before

Post by Rambler »

As received:
side:

front:

top:

with ruler for size ref:

underside:Image

oblique showing ribbon/bow:

You can see the bowler like taper and roundness to the crown.
This is a size 62, so it is quite large.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Nice hat, congrats :wink:
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

More pictures (at last):

Post by Rambler »

After a kitchen reblock and bash and a trim to the brim.
Also, I put felt fitting strips in front and rear to force the fore and aft outward and the sides inward.
I found there was only so much crown height to work with to balance the width for proportion.
There is still a lot of derby roundness going on there but it suits me for a first try. I need to re-wet and re-do the front pinch.

Side:

Front:

Top:

Rear:

With ruler:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I dunno.....with a little bit of work I think this new hat is worth a try if you're not looking to spend a fortune on an Indy hat.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i think it would be quite difficult to get an SA raiders bash into it based on the block shape i see. i think an SA lc bash would work quite nicely on it.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Rambler wrote:After a kitchen reblock...
Out of curiousity, why did you feel this reblock was necessary? Based on what I see in terms of the open crown blockshape, I would think this hat could yield some decent "Raiders" results without such modification. Did it just not fit you right or something? :?

-GCR
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Why "reblock" a new hat.? ... Because it was there

Post by Rambler »

The short answer is that I just cannot get something new without taking it apart and putting it back together.
:wink:
But, the reason is really twofold. I wanted to see for myself how easily this felt worked when dampened and moved and get it set where I wanted it before trimming the brim.
Plus, I wanted to get a little more fullness in the outer front crown regions so that when I put the bash in the front that the upper center did not lean in quite so much. Also, I wanted to see just how much crown height I will need to ask for when ordering a custom hat soon (to to get proper proportion / compensate for size).
Overall, I am pleased with this hat for the money. It was forgiving of an amateur really yanking it around.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Indiana G wrote:i think it would be quite difficult to get an SA raiders bash into it based on the block shape i see. i think an SA lc bash would work quite nicely on it.
:x You beat me to it, G! :lol:
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Rambler:

Premised upon your little experiment, what crown height do you surmise is "right for you?"

Here is a Fed, after a Fedora/Lamode shaping; similarities?

(I have no inkling why the ribbon looks "fuzzy."

Sincerely,
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Not bad Rambler. I can't tell if it's a Federation or a Bushman block, or something in between.
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rambler »

[quote="Dr.Seuss"]Rambler:

Premised upon your little experiment, what crown height do you surmise is "right for you?"

quote]

Based upon simple ratios of average SA (Ford) size to my size, I need a crown height of 6 inches for correct proprotions.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Rambler wrote:* * *Based upon simple ratios of average SA (Ford) size to my size, I need a crown height of 6 inches for correct proprotions.
Right on! Glad to see I am not alone in the six inch (or more) open crown category. Welcome to the "tall" crown club.

Sincerely,