The Real Indy Hat??

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The Real Indy Hat??

Post by cooncatbob »

Christmas catalogs have started to show up in my mail.
I received one today from Herrington and imagine my surprise when I turned to page 49 and saw the same hat worn by Harrison Ford.
"Our wool fedora is the same hat worn by Harrison Ford in all 3 adventure films, right down to the pinched crown and 2 1/2" brim"
Well I guess that clears that up, only $49.95 no need to spend big $$ for a fur felt fedora. :lol:
Bob.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I don't believe it! Could you scan and post it?
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

Here's a link to the page in the online catalog.
They don't even mention the new movie, bit it seems everybody's trying to cash in. Don't know how they can have the nerve to outright lie though.
http://herrington-catalog.stores.yahoo.net/ls414.html

So is that SA or what.
indiana lurch
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: In the Dark Den of a school Cafateria, Niagara Falls, Canada

Post by indiana lurch »

Wow, it's the same hat I bought at MGM when the Indy stunt first opened and the same one I saw at Cracker Barrel (Mmmmm gotta love Cracker Barrel) in Ohio or Kentucky...either way crappy hat

Indiana lurch
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

cooncatbob wrote:Here's a link to the page in the online catalog.
They don't even mention the new movie, bit it seems everybody's trying to cash in. Don't know how they can have the nerve to outright lie though.
http://herrington-catalog.stores.yahoo.net/ls414.html

So is that SA or what.
I think that's just the standard Dorfman Pacific; I get the Herrington catalog too, and they've been advertising that hat for over a year, at least. Maybe they don't even know it's not the same hat used in the movies; or perhaps "product placement" is involved somehow.

Jack
Last edited by eazybox on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

The bad thing is, most folks dont know the difference.
Lee Keppler
Vendor

the fedora

Post by Lee Keppler »

Most folks not knowing the difference is why the DP continues to sell.
P.T. Barnum was right!
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

Arkansas Russell wrote:The bad thing is, most folks dont know the difference.
Thats OK. When they dont have the look they want ( I know I have been there.) The real adventure starts, "The quest for gear"
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

Its kinda funny...is it false advertising or ignorance? :-k I'll go with ignorance since most people can't tell a fedora from a cowboy hat :roll:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

If DP is still making the officially licensed hat for Indy 4, there may be at least one of those hats included in the movie, so that the company can say their hat appears in the film. If that's true, then technically it isn't really false advertising.

Some Stetsons reportedly were used in TOD and LC for that purpose, too.

Jack
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Or maybe they simply mean, "The same hat Harrison Ford wore in all three films!"

Basically... IT'S CALLED A FEDORA! AND WE HAVE A GOOD ONE! :roll:

MB
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

eazybox wrote:If DP is still making the officially licensed hat for Indy 4, there may be at least one of those hats included in the movie, so that the company can say their hat appears in the film. If that's true, then technically it isn't really false advertising.

Some Stetsons reportedly were used in TOD and LC for that purpose, too.

Jack
I can assure you, there are NO DP's in IJ4, unless it was put on an extra standing behind a closed door and out of sight of the cameras. :lol: One never got near Ford's head, otherwise, why would they have gone through the trouble to get the hat right? If DP gets the "official" license, it will be in name only and for the sake of marketing, not because any hats were featured in the film.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Except for the cockpit scene in TOD, I've never been able to identify a hat that looks a lot like a Stetson in that movie or LC, either. It has been stated as fact that Stetsons were used in both those films, but maybe that's just a myth.

Jack
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nope, no myth. It was in the contract with LucasFilm that they had to use a few Stetson's in production in order to get the licensing contract that Lucas proposed for selling the Stetson hat in the theater lobbies when TofD came out.

Those sales never occurred, but that fell through AFTER the film was in the can.

Regards! Michaelson
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Michaelson wrote:Nope, no myth. It was in the contract with LucasFilm that they had to use a few Stetson's in production in order to get the licensing contract that Lucas proposed for selling the Stetson hat in the theater lobbies when TofD came out.

Those sales never occurred, but that fell through AFTER the film was in the can.

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks, Michaelson. Do you know if Stetsons were in the contract for Last Crusade as well?

Jack
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I know they showed advertments at the time that inferred they were involved, but personally I haven't seen or heard of any direct evidence of them actually appearing in LC myself.

There were a few 'suspect' hats in LC that I would have thought might be something other than HJ's. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

In all fairness, maybe it was that Harrison Ford wore the wool felt hats when he was off set, perhaps he prefers wearing a wool, tear-drop hat. Could be?
:lol: \:D/
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Michaelson wrote:I know they showed advertments at the time that inferred they were involved, but personally I haven't seen or heard of any direct evidence of them actually appearing in LC myself.

There were a few 'suspect' hats in LC that I would have thought might be something other than HJ's. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
I have one of those ads in a Premiere magazine: "Indy's back! And he's wearing a Stetson!" The trouble is, the hat he's wearing in that ad looks a lot like a Herbert Johnson-- so we're back to speculating about false advertising again!

Jack
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You got it, Jack! :wink:

nick, have you been drinking again? :? :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Well, in the end such "catalog-hats" will save Steve and Marc from being overwhelmed with new AB orderings, once KotCS arrives in theaters. At least
they will help to reduce demand, I would guess. :lol:
But I agree with you: it's quite strange to offer a DP as "the hat worn by Harrison Ford", but in the end everybody tries to make a fast buck with the new movie... I think it's a safe bet, that this is not the last "this is the same hat, trust me!"-Fedora we will see.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

The old tobacco barns near Greg and I have antiques and such for sale in them on the weekends. It is kind of like a huge Antiques Roadshow Warehouse. Greg, Chewbacca Jones, bink, FedoraGirl, Kitty Kat Jones, FedoraGirl's mom, and I went there this weekend.

Chewie, bink and I had on fedoras. As we walked by, someone said, "Nice Al Capone look you guys have going." We post examples on this forum all the time such as this, that proves time and time again, that the general population knows very little about fedoras. To most people, if a hat is brown and it has a wide brim that goes all the way around the head, it is "just like the one Indiana Jones wore". And, they believe it.

Actually, some people may not be quite that discriminating. It doesn't exactly have to be brown or even have a brim. If it can loosely be described as a hat, some folks would agree that it is Indy's fedora.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I have seen one pic of Ford, perhaps as he is leaving the set, and I swear, what he is wearing looks more like a DP than an AB. The ribbon is a much lighter brown, and the front brim looks too short.

So, I would not doubt them placing a DP in the film for a shot, or two. Afterall, it was done by Stetson in the past when they had the contract to make the Official Indy fedora. Fedora
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I called Herrington's customer service dept. earlier today and tried to explain to them about Herbert Johnson & Adventurebilt and that their claim about the hat might be completely inaccurate. They thanked me for the information and promised to look into the matter, but also mentioned that the hat has been a very popular seller. :roll:

Jack
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Michaelson

....(hic).....What?...(hic)....me drinking?....(hic)... :P :lol:
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

It's obviously a Dorfman-Pacific.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

191145 wrote:It's obviously a Dorfman-Pacific.
The grand old DP (or, as I affectionately refer to it, the Deep P**).

I received Herrington's latest catalog a couple of days ago, and this "very popular seller" is still in there. :roll:

Jack
Last edited by eazybox on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

eazybox wrote:Except for the cockpit scene in TOD, I've never been able to identify a hat that looks a lot like a Stetson in that movie or LC, either. It has been stated as fact that Stetsons were used in both those films, but maybe that's just a myth.

Jack
there is unsupported rumors that the cockpit hat is a baron's hat.....looks pretty close to what i see from a present baron's hat.

here are possible candidates for stetsons:

TOD

LC

until i see a clip where ford takes the hat off and says, "huh....a stetson"....then this is purely all speculation.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

The TOD cockpit hat looks just like my first fur felt Stetson Indy. It even looks as though they folded the ribbon down to make it appear narrower. The shape does bear a resemblance to the Baron hat too, but I think that's a bigger hat. Not sure though, as I've never handled one.

Jack
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

too bad the kind gent who bought the stembridge revolver can't give us details of who made the screen used tod hat that he has (what the label says).....i believe that he owns the cockpit hat.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Indiana G wrote:too bad the kind gent who bought the stembridge revolver can't give us details of who made the screen used tod hat that he has (what the label says).....i believe that he owns the cockpit hat.
I'd love to know that myself-- I've always wondered about it, even before I knew Stetsons were in the contract for TOD.

Jack
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Indiana G wrote:too bad the kind gent who bought the stembridge revolver can't give us details of who made the screen used tod hat that he has (what the label says).....i believe that he owns the cockpit hat.
There was a cat who posted on here a few years ago (TCBCOLLECTOR) that claimed he had purchased a screen used TOD hat - but wouldn't give ANY details about the hat claiming that people would use it to reproduce his exclusive hat... HE got VERY upset by all the probing and left the forum after a few short days.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Fedoraman wrote:
There was a cat who posted on here a few years ago (TCBCOLLECTOR) that claimed he had purchased a screen used TOD hat - but wouldn't give ANY details about the hat claiming that people would use it to reproduce his exclusive hat... HE got VERY upset by all the probing and left the forum after a few short days.
Thank goodness there are collectors like Forry Ackerman, who has always shared generously with other fans, even though he did sometimes get ripped off.

But how in the world could just sharing a few simple details allow people to reproduce any "exclusive" item? Maybe he ended up with a bogus hat and is ashamed to admit it?

Someone tried to sell me a "screen-used" Indy hat once for $5,000. It came with a wonderful affidavit from a doctor who testified that it was worn by Harrison Ford in TOD and that a member of the crew had given it to him as a gift at the wrap party. The problem was, the hat looked nothing like any of the hats worn by Ford and was from a manufacturer I had never heard of.

When I told the dealer this, he just shrugged it off and said he still thought the hat was authentic. I've frequently wondered who ended up with that hat, although I'm not implying it was the collector mentioned in the previous posts.

As a collector myself, I've bought my share of props & costume items over the years, but you have to be careful and do your own research before taking anyone's word for anything-- there are many, many fakes out there and sometimes even reputable dealers and auction houses are taken in.

Jack
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

info about the tod hat at screenused.....looks like they sold it:

http://www.screenused.com/?&sectionID=i ... em_id=2557

there is alot of detail on this here. it looks pretty bang on to what i see in the film....perhaps you just need to confirm it has ford's dna in it :lol:

in retrospect, i can see why collector's don't give out that much info on their acquisitions. with the info on this link, i betcha steve, marc, jersey, jp or any of the other fine hatters on this forum could make an EXACT duplicate of the hat.....betcha todd could.........and if it got into the wrong hands :shock: ...........bink, quit scratching your chin!!!!!! :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

One of the reasons Screen Used shared pics of the revolver is because the gun has serial numbers which can't be faked. But a hat arguably could, since there are no serial numbers as such, unless they've hidden specific labels inside somewhere and keep those from being photographed.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Thanks for the info, G! That hat either isn't a Stetson or they switched the ribbon, as the store-bought Stetsons did not have double bows. It resembles one of my old Herbert Johnsons, but looks a lot floppier.

As far as buying it goes, I wouldn't touch something like that with a ten foot pole, even if I could afford it, unless Harrison Ford himself handed it to me.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Jack