Show your "crappy" hats...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Show your "crappy" hats...

Post by airforceindy »

I know I'm not the only one out there... We've all had (or still have) those hats that any connossieur (sp?) would raise an eyebrow to, and this is mine. It's a Stetson Australian crushable, and I just put a big dimensional trim to it. Didn't bother putting the band back on either... It ain't much to look at, but it'll tide me over 'til my AB gets here in April (I hope!).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2411/173 ... 81.jpg?v=0
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Just an idea, fellas. We've been going around and around about the KotCS ABs, and giving congrats and pats on the back to Steve and Marc (no doubt, they ARE due!); thought it would be nice to see some different hats for a bit.
Last edited by airforceindy on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed!
:D

Regards! Michaelson
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I reckon you nailed the Cairo look right there, airforceindy!
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Why, thank you, Gents, you're too kind! Not bad for a $30 wool hat from the drug store in Wall, SD!!! Let's see some pics, fellas!

Like so many others, I've been wanting to use this... even if it is my own thread!
;0
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

yeah, just pinch that sucker up tight in front and twist a good turn onto it, and you got soc. regards, hanson.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

What a refreshing thread idea! I'll have to dig out my camera and a good beater hat. :wink:
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Crappy, eh?

Indiana Miller - circa 2003 (after 3 years of HEAVY wear)

The (infamous) Stetson Temple - circa 1999 (after some minor wear and an attempt at a Raiders style tight pinch)

The Miller was actually a pretty decent hat, and didn't get to looking that bad until a few years had passed (and more than a few rain and snow storms). The Stetson, on the other hand...was, well..."crappy". It didn't last me 6 months... :x

-GCR
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

hey GCR....you're stetson is an AB deluxe compared to the crapola fedora i got from the outlet factory....i'll try to post some pics of it when i get the chance....it's pretty funny :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Here we go. Don't mind the mood lighting.:lol: It's an old Knox Vagabond I picked up a year or two ago. It was in awful shape, so I had turned it inside out, repounced and reblocked it, and did an awful job of sewing in the sweat. (It was my first sweat job. :wink: ) The ribbon was sewn on as a temporary fix, but has become more "permanent." This is my experimental/beater hat, but I still like it. The felt is VERY thin, which I like. It also makes the hat quite floppy.

Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

You gotta love the floppy hats. Or not, personal preference. Here's another pic of the hat I made that other thread about. It's quite floppy and once I get my AB I'm going to trim it down to a 2" brim all the way around and de-pinch it a bit for a film noir movie I've been writing.

Before anybody else points it out, yes, that is a clip-on tie. I was too lazy to put on and tie a real one.
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

When my wife gets back from Vegas with my digital camera I'll take a better picture of my Stetson. The you'll get to see what "crappy" truely means! LOL :lol: At least it's comfortable, and it's the only hat I have right now. Bink, that Knox you're wearing LOOKS great from where I'm sitting. It seems to flop into just the right relaxed/classic style, unless my eyes fool me.

Regards, Andy
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

Not sure what hat this is. Add A Whip and MK VII......................

Image :roll:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Magnum Jones wrote:Not sure what hat this is. Add A Whip and MK VII......................

Image :roll:
Jed Clampett! One of my favorites-- when I was a kid, my grandfather bought a new hat and gave me his old grey fedora; I tore it up with a pair of scissors and scrunched it, trying to get the hat to look as close to Jed's as possible; I guess this "screen accuracy" thing is a lifelong affliction...

Jack
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

As a hat lover, most of the hats posted so far actually look pretty good to me; Bink's looks quite natural. I have a pair of old "Lennon specs" and may try wearing them with some of my old hats-- they might look better with some of those hats.

Jack
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Aeris, I was flipping thru the fedora pages awhile back and thought I ran across some pictures you'd posted of a moth-eaten Fed that had been sitting in your closet for sometime. Was that you? Whoever owns it, that is one CRAPPY hat!!! :D
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Aeris_Canon wrote:I don't know, Bink. I tend to agree there. That Knox doesn't quite go in the crappy fed thread. Looks pretty good for a "crappy". 8)
I agree, that Knox doesn't look half bad. :tup:
Now, GCR's put up a fine specimen of crappy looking feds, and Risu, gotta say yours is right there in the mix... :wink:
:P Seriously...the scariest part is, that picture is of the Stetson Temple at its BEST. It only got crappier from there. The Miller actually looked good for quite a while before it turned into...that
Now, let me see if I can give those a run for their money...- Here's some Grade - A crappy hat going on here. :lol:

What the heck IS that? :shock: :P

-GCR
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I once had a Stetson Temple that looked far "worse" than the one posted; but I gave it to a cousin of mine and he loved it. He showed it to a hat collector friend of his, and he loved it, too. I couldn't believe it-- I thought it was only suitable for the garbage can, but it had cost me a lot I'm glad I was able to find it a better resting place than that!

Jack
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

That's just about how my Temple ended up looking after heavy steaming. That crown shape does not seem to bother anyone but us Indy fans. In fact, my cousin told me he thought my preferred (at the time) HJ looked too much like a "stovepipe" for his taste!

Jack
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I'm glad you guys like my beater. :lol: Like meeting folks in bars, the mood lighting helps. :lol: If you were to see it in closer detail, you'd be able to see how beat up it really is. It's got a shorter brim and crown than a true Indy, but I like it. In fact, I wish AB could make a hat this thin. The only other felt thickness I can compare it to is Agent5's Optimo Indy, though this one might be a tad thinner. It's true featherweight and great for summer wear. Here's another view of the hat. It's the one front left on the desktop.

eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Looks like a great knockaround hat. What a collection, too!

Jack
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Bink, my latest hat acquisition might be a nice comparison to the thinness of your hat. I find the entire hat to be a contradiction to science: thin and floppy while very sturdy and shape holding. Needs a real reblock though. But dang, your collection is nice, and that floppy beater of yours fits right in :D And I'll get pics up of my crappy Fed Deluxe when I get a chance...

-Daryl
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Aeris_Canon ; That... thing.... on your head. It's not a hat, it's just a felt cone used to make a hat. In this case, a hat of poor quality. :roll:

Bink; Great Beater. Everyone shoudl have one hat like that one. By the way, in the "group shot", what's that gray hat right in the middle of everything with thehybrid diamond/ c-crown?
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Bink, your hat collection never ceases to amaze, now matter how many times we see that pic. That picture I posted earlier makes the hat look really tapered, so here are a couple more from the front.

airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

That's still not a bad looking hat. I think AC has all beat with his Dorfman!!! :D Did you trim the brim?

PS: Bink, is that the Mercury-AB on the front-right corner of the table? Man, I like that lid! Great color, shape, everything; it just shouts that it's been well loved and well cared for for the past three or four generations.
Indy1939
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1939 »

First off, it's nice to see someone else posting on here from South Dakota.
Secondly, my first "Indy" hat was a 100% wool felt wally-world special. I wore it out and even tried to put a Raider's pinch in it when it got soaked in a rainstorm once. I'll post a picture of it when I'm home tomorrow.
-Allen
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks again, guys. :wink:

Kentucky, my hat could use a touch of stiffener. You look at this hat and it changes shape, that's how thin and floppy is it! :lol:

Chewie, the grey hat smack in the middle of that picture is a Stetson Royal Deluxe from the '30s. The intact price tag on the inside says it was a whopping $12.50. This, ladies and gentleman, is the kind of hat Stetson gained its name for back in the day.

airforceindy, the fedora on the front-right corner of the table is indeed my Mercury-AB. Before it got to me, it was an unused hat body sitting for decades waiting to be my hat. But it does wear like a well-loved and cared for hat. It's blocked and shaped like a hat from the '20s. If not my absolute favorite, it's in my very top-of-the-crop list. :wink:

Risu, your beater looks pretty good! I'm enjoying seeing folks share pics of their "not so perfect" Indy hats. There are some well used lids here. Again, Andy, great thread idea! :tup: :wink:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

:lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

the dog hat!!!! if you sent that one to the production company, it would have STILL beat out HJ!!! {jumps under the plymouth}
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: Now THAT'S a well-loved hat! That is, the dog sure seemed to like it! :lol: I forgot about that one. Thanks for making my day, Steve. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I wish AB could make a hat this thin.
Should I mention that AB 78 gram beaver again? :-k

Nah, I wouldn't do that to you, bink! =; O:) 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Great pic, Steve! Now, here's the $6 million question: how often do you wear it, and how many people say "What's up, Jed?"

:twisted: :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote:
I wish AB could make a hat this thin.
Should I mention that AB 78 gram beaver again? :-k

Nah, I wouldn't do that to you, bink! =; O:) 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson, I'd venture a guess that this Knox is just as thin, if not thinner than the hat you tease me with! Oh, and you just did. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd be surprised. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I think you might be, honestly. I'll have compare when I get home, but think this vintage Knox would have to be three times thicker to match the thickness of the standard AB. I've never come across a hat so thin in my years of wearing and collecting. Tell you what, send me your featherweight and I'll compare... :twisted: :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Once again, let me think about that for a moment :-k ......................................................................................no. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I like a hat with character, but that dog went a little overboard with the bashing. :wink:

Jack
Indy1939
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1939 »

Here's the two hats that I own:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa31 ... CN3189.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa31 ... CN3190.jpg
(Had to link them, I couldn't figure out how to resize them well enough to be proper)

The one on the left is my Akubra Federation and the one on the right is the Wally-World special. That's not the original ribbon that was on it, but my grandparent's dog chewed off the leather band so I had to replace it with something. The Fed is about 5 years old and the wool one is about seven years old.

-Allen
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Indy1939 wrote:Here's the two hats that I own:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa31 ... CN3189.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa31 ... CN3190.jpg
(Had to link them, I couldn't figure out how to resize them well enough to be proper)

The one on the left is my Akubra Federation and the one on the right is the Wally-World special. That's not the original ribbon that was on it, but my grandparent's dog chewed off the leather band so I had to replace it with something. The Fed is about 5 years old and the wool one is about seven years old.

-Allen
'39 - That Fed actually looks pretty darn good if you ask me! :tup:

-GCR
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:shock: Good Lord Steve! What was that? What's the story?

Johnny
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

This isn't a crappy hat by any means, but an interesting bash job none the less. Noticed on the Fedora Lounge as I was flipping through (I like the pictures :lol: ). It's a AB Deluxe, and the fellows name is Douglas; some of you may know him from that forum. Anyway, found it interesting, so here it is.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128 ... CN6397.jpg
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

You wanna see crappy? BCF#1(left), DP(middle), BCF#2(right)
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... G_1063.jpg

I know this isn't a crappy hat (AB), but I like to show it off :wink:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... G_1067.jpg

Here's all my hats.AB(on radio)
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... G_1068.jpg
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Indiana Kev wrote:An old school DP.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/ ... ure002.jpg
That looks like the one from around the time of LC that was made of blazer flannel.

Jack
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Kev, is that one of the LC Pepsi hats?!?!? I think I have one of those stashed in a closet somewhere............crappy, but I just can't part with it :D
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

That is a 1990/91ish DP that I picked up from the adventure supply outpost at Disneyworld. I wore the mess out of that hat when I was a kid and I've kept it ever since. I still have the "Indiana Jones" pin on the bow too! That DP was also one of the few that actually has the center dent instead of the tear drop crown. The liner is similar to a canvas, which is kinda weird.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Indiana Kev wrote:That is a 1990/91ish DP that I picked up from the adventure supply outpost at Disneyworld. I wore the mess out of that hat when I was a kid and I've kept it ever since. I still have the "Indiana Jones" pin on the bow too! That DP was also one of the few that actually has the center dent instead of the tear drop crown. The liner is similar to a canvas, which is kinda weird.
It was advertised as being made of "blazer flannel"-- I own one, too, in new condition it's one of the better looking Dorfmans.

Jack
sebas
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sebas »

Here's my Burlington Coat Factory beaut...