Anyone have a schematic for the S&W 1917?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Anyone have a schematic for the S&W 1917?

Post by Rook »

Was (How do you attach a lanyard ring).

Does anyone have a schematic for the S&W 1917?

Just received this from a fellow board member (Thanks!) and can't figure it out.

I vaguely recall seeing a schematic for the 1917 revolvers, and I thought that the lanyard ring disassembled in some form, but I don't want to wreck mine trying to figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Russ
Last edited by Rook on Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Are you putting it on a real S&W or a repro? If it's going on a real gun, I'd take it to a good gunsmith. He should be able to do it quickly and easily for you. In a nutshell, you remove the grips and thread the screw through the bottom of the grip frame, securing it on the inside of the frame. If the gun doesn't already have a spot for a lanyard, a hole will have to be drilled. Pretty easy work for a gunsmith, I'd say.
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

So the lanyard loop itself doesn't dissassemble then? The post perhaps unscrewing from the piece that the rectangular "loop" fits into?

And to answer the other question, it's a replica. The loop cost more than the whole replica did. :)

Russ
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Does anyone have a schematic for the S&W 1917? I haven't been able to find one online. Brownells has losts of S&W revolver schematics, just not the 1917 (unless it's called something else).

Thanks,

Russ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.gunsworld.com/exploded/sw29.htm

Here's one for the N-frame Model 29 for a starter.

I'll keep looking for the HE.

Regards! Michaelson
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Thanks, I found that one (and another dozen almost like it) at Brownells. :)

I'm really looking for one with a good picture of how the lanyard loop is attached.

Does anyone know what the actual model number is of the 1917 or the re-release with the lanyard loop?

Thanks again!

Russ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ah, understood.

Best suggestion I can make is for you to find a local gunsmith and ask him, or have him install it for you. Some were snap in, and some were installed through the frame with a cotter pin, so there was no 'one way' to attach them.

Regard! Michaelson
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

a 1917 lanyard ring is secured by a small pin driven into a hole that passes thru the frame under the grip near the grip locator pin. this pin captures the ring assembly via the groove machined around the top of the lanyard ring assembly.the lanyard ring assy. is a swivel so it turns easily. you can't install lanyards on most guns without altering the serial numbers on the butt;because if they aren't original, you have to machine the hole for them into the butt. the assy's are the same for s&w and colt 1917's and i think the same for victory mdl's too. most high quality guns are this type. cheaper ones have screw in ones and aftermarket ones are found screwed in also. regards,hanson