Apply Pecards w/ Fingers or Cloth? SMUDGES!

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Apply Pecards w/ Fingers or Cloth? SMUDGES!

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Would it be wiser to apply Pecards with your bare hands or with a clean cloth?

Personally, I tried using both methods yesterday: For my horsehide (I couldn't resist), I tried applying a layer of dressing with my fingers as suggested by the pamphlet that came with the Pecards. As for the LC lambskin, I tried using a cloth to apply the lotion as I was worried about potential health hazards.

Now the lambskin took in the lotion without any problems, and I would even think that it is softer today than it was yesterday.

As expected, the horsehide turned lightly sticky, but after rubbing it down today, the jacket went back to normal. However, I now seem to have smudges leftover from the finger application in spots all over the jacket. And by smudges, I mean trails which my fingers drew while working in the dressing. I tried to rub them off as well as wipe them off, but neither worked.

Are these smudges/trails permenant? And next time, should I use my fingers or a cloth?

I got caught in the rain earlier, so I'll have to reapply the pecards again... Hopefully this should solve things...
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

That's weird. I use my fingers all the time for that, and have never once had that problem. Well, if you're having it, might as well use the cloth then.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Don't worry. They'll disappear.

I wouldn't get in THAT big a hurry about a reapplication. Remember, HH is at the top end of the scale regarding water resisitance. You may be going over kill with your treatments. Just wear it now and only apply Pecards at season change, and if you end up in a frog strangling typhoon....and even then I'd think a bit about putting a Pecard treatment on the HH. (grins) :wink:

It's all good!

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Michaelson wrote:Don't worry. They'll disappear.

I wouldn't get in THAT big a hurry about a reapplication. Remember, HH is at the top end of the scale regarding water resisitance. You may be going over kill with your treatments. Just wear it now and only apply Pecards at season change, and if you end up in a frog strangling typhoon....and even then I'd think a bit about putting a Pecard treatment on the HH. (grins) :wink:

It's all good!

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks Michaelson and Strider!

Unfortunately, before I read Michaelson's reply, I decided to go to work on the jacket with a new coat of dressing. I tried using a cloth, but after 5 minutes, realized it was just impossible as the dressing was taking forever to be applied that way.

But on the plus side, since this is the end of heavier leather season, I think I'll be putting away my horsehide soon anyway, so the extra protection should keep it alright in storage ;)

I also discovered that the first time I applied the dressing, I must have taken everyone's advice for "VERY LIGHT APPLICATION!" a bit too literally, so those 'smudges' were actually where there was pecards soaking in, and the rest of the areas of the jacket recieved little to no dressing. Guess this pretty much answers my own question then :P

Well, in the future, I'll have to take your advice, Michaelson, and since I got the horsehide mainly for its tough qualities, I'll be sure to make sure I roll off a truck before even considering a new coat of conditioner! Now my lambskin on the other hand... ;)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Just remember when storing it, not to have it covered in a plastic bag or anything - it won't be able to "breathe" and will get damaged.

In Christ,
Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Here's a new 'twist'. I had a box of rubber gloves (the non-powdered type) that my sister-in-law (a registered nurse) had given me to use when I handle watch parts. You don't leave finger prints or hand oils on high gloss metals using these gloves. Hand oil can etch into nickel if left for any period of time, by the way.

Anyhow, I was getting ready to apply some Pecards to a jacket tonight when my eyes fell on this box of gloves. Hummmm. :-k

I put one on and then applied the Pecards with that hand on my jacket. Application was slicker than a whistle......and once done, I pulled the glove off and threw it in the garbage can! No smudges on the jacket, no mess on my hands, and clean up was a cinch!

Something to keep in the back of your mind next time you get ready to work on a piece of leather with some leather dressing..... :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Yeah but using rubber gloves accelerates the global warning. 8) :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Uh....ok. So I only used the one golve rather than two, I've halved the output, and therefore saved a seal.
:-k
How's that? :D :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Better. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Considering I drive a 57 year old fossil fuel guzzling dinosaur, I don't believe my rubber glove will make THAT much more of a footprint.

What I HAVE started doing is driving the Plymouth 2 days less per week. Now THAT, my friend, IS doing something about global warming. :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Michaelson, that may in fact solve the problem :D

In actual fact, I'm heading back to Red Lake soon...there is still 6 inches of ice on the lake. So go ahead, use FOUR rubber gloves if you can. It means I can enjoy my summer that much sooner :D

Cheers
Craig
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

No thanks, the winter here lasted three weeks this year instead of the three months a few decades ago.
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

hey michaelson, 3 weeks of winter in finland uh, well since center hill lake is still way down below winter pool levels, i'm goining to look for arrowheads and see if i can recycle some fishing lures. pm me if you want me to pick you up in the old '72 glastron after the temperature rises above 53. regards,hanson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good luck on the Center Hill Lake expedition. :D

Tims Ford Lake is coming up, so the time of finding lures, arrowheads, and Civil War miniballs has already passed for me. :(

Above 53? Did you look at your thermometer yesterday? It was 85 here! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

oh,the sun's up now and the wife will be home with supplies soon. it' 71.6 at 9:00 in the am. time to load the boat. last chance to catch us today lol. regards,hanson.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, pooh on you. I'm sitting here producing two classes in my two video rooms while you're preparing your boat. :(

Regards! Michaelson
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

yeah, this is gonna be a rough job but somebody's gotta do it. we'll be up the mcminnville end of the river in a few hours.regards,hanson.out.