Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

billy3ci
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I got my Dr. Who/Das Boot jacket!!!

Post by billy3ci »

WOW!!!

what an amazing jacket. if any of you are looking for a 2nd adventure jacket, this is the one. the predistressed hide is simply beautiful. it feels as soft as my lambskin TOD jacket. this Dr Who/Das Boot jacket, in predistressed hide, looks 100 years old but still retains the look of a jacket that is high quality. it's like a flashback to wearing a jacket that a German U-Boat commander would wear. i think a lot of you would love to add this to your collection. it's long (3/4 length) and is so retro and classy. the smell of the leather fills the room.

once again, Wested Leather came through!!! they made it custom to me and got it here in the USA in under 4 weeks.

Woo Hoo!!!

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

VERY nice jacket! :D

Be sure to take a close look at the seams around the cuff. When I got my 'Fedora/Abner' jacket, a lot of those seams had been sewn to close to the edge and were loose. I had to take them to a local leather tailor and have them resewn. The cuffs on mine are just like the ones on your jacket. Word to the wise. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

That's probably the best custom Wested I've ever seen. Can I ask how much it set you back?
billy3ci
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by billy3ci »

agent5 wrote:That's probably the best custom Wested I've ever seen. Can I ask how much it set you back?
right around $400 (total including shipping)
spiridon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by spiridon »

Awesome looking jacket! 8) 8)
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

OMG! That is an amazing coat! Finding this forum is THE worst thing that has ever happened to me!!!!! Absolutely beautiful!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that is beautiful for sure!
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

that is a great looking jacket. Looks like a nice inside too, can you make some pics from the inside and the liner?
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

:shock: Very nice........Im ordering one at the first of the year for sure !
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

That's not the same predist. hide they use for the Indy jacket is it? It looks darker and more naturally distressed than the Indys I've seen.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

agent5 wrote:That's probably the best custom Wested I've ever seen.
I agree! That jacket truely looks old. :shock: Great work, Peter!

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

whiskyman wrote:That's not the same predist. hide they use for the Indy jacket is it? It looks darker and more naturally distressed than the Indys I've seen.
It´s predistressed black cowhide, not brown, I guess.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Simply Beautiful!
Chewie
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I've seen a few of these in different leathers, new black and brown cowhide. I must say this leather, (is it predistressed black cow?) nails the look exactly. A very nice leather and a perfect looking jacket, looks like it was swiped from storage at the beeb!

And now I want one! :cry: :lol:
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Truly awesome jacket! That settles it, my next Wested Indy jacket is going to be the predistressed hide...I love the look of that hide. And after that I just may have to get me one of these Das Boot jackets, too!

Thanks for sharing this amazing jacket! =P~

-GCR
billy3ci
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by billy3ci »

thanks everyone!!! yea, my wife is not into jackets like me and she was really impressed. it's such an amazing hide. i thought it was going to be thick, but it's not. it drapes like butter. i am amazed because it does look like they pulled this jacket out from the basement of an old prop house from the movie das boot. this is the same hide they are currently using for predistressed indy jackets (according to Gemma it is). now i want another TOD jacket in this exact hide. i'll post more pics later.

oh, and i am sitting ~10 feet away from the jacket and i can smell it (or maybe it's my chair). :)
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hi, very cool jacket indeed. The U-Boat Commander's jacket is supposed to be black right?

I also have a jacket design that I want to ask Wested to make for me someday. Here it is below.

What do you guys think?
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Michaelson wrote:
Be sure to take a close look at the seams around the cuff. When I got my 'Fedora/Abner' jacket, a lot of those seams had been sewn to close to the edge and were loose. I had to take them to a local leather tailor and have them resewn. The cuffs on mine are just like the ones on your jacket. Word to the wise. :wink:
Regards! Michaelson

Man! This is what blows my mind about Wested! I've seen this before on a Wested that I had,,how can this get by 'quality control'? I mean these are literally handmade,,the person actually HAD to sew these seams. Do they just ignore the fact that they missed?? Once again I advise, as in another thread,,you really have to baby sit your orders from Wested, before, during and AFTER the process of getting it. Hmm. :?

I'm not bad-mouthing Wested, I love the troops, but I just wonder about this kind of thing coming from them sometimes..

It makes me wonder if it is really worth it to have a jacket hand made. By comparison, you would never see this on a Flightsuits. I guess because they are 'assembly line' jackets or something, the machine never misses, and if it does, it's caught in some kind of quality control.

TR
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Man! This is what blows my mind about Wested! I've seen this before on a Wested that I had,,how can this get by 'quality control'? I mean these are literally handmade,,the person actually HAD to sew these seams.

Maybe they have some 90year old guy sewing these things and he can't really see if he got them or not.
montana
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by montana »

Michaelson wrote:VERY nice jacket! :D

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson, did you start a thread about this jacket? I'd love to see pics
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Not yet. Gotta get some photos taken, and I wanted to wear it a while to get it more broken in.

Regards! Michaelson
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Pictures of Michaelson are as rare as hen's teeth.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

True, so true. :-k Are you that sure of my avatar? 8) :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Which hide is it made of then? And what color is it exactly? A distressed black or more a distressed brown?
billy3ci
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by billy3ci »

Last Crusader wrote:Which hide is it made of then? And what color is it exactly? A distressed black or more a distressed brown?
it looks like 50/50 predistressed!!! when i am wearing it, it's more brown. in some lighting, it's more black. weird...and cool. :D
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: I got my Dr. Who/Das Boot jacket!!!

Post by Rixter »

billy3ci wrote: ...it's like a flashback to wearing a jacket that a German U-Boat commander would wear. i think a lot of you would love to add this to your collection. it's long (3/4 length) and is so retro and classy. the smell of the leather fills the room.

That is truly a beautiful looking jacket! =P~ What size jacket is that?

I have a similar jacket that I purchased years ago but only wear it on occasion during the winter months. Although I would consider mine a vintage looking leather it doesn't look nearly as nicely aged as yours.

On the negative side of wearing such a coat, I found that I had to give up wearing it at crowded movie theaters with long lines because it was too easy for hooligans in back of me to yank me by its belt in order to skip ahead in line. ;) :lol:

Nice purchase!
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

Really lovely looking leather :shock: :)

I'm owing a old pre cow for a few years know and tried everything to make the leather looks like this! I really like mine how it looks know but not in full sun light.
Can you make a flashlight picture of it?
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Wow!

Post by Hemingway Jones »

That is an amazing jacket. I read somewhere it was made for "Das Boot" and recycled for Chritopher Eccleston. I love it and would love to have it!

I like David Tenant's frock coat too, but that's another story.

Congratulations and enjoy.
Joe King
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Joe King »

Hemingway,

You should check out Indy Magnoli site if you like the good doctors coat. :D
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I don't think this has been answered, but just guessed at and questioned...

What leather is it? Do you know billy3ci?

As far as I know Wested only has predistressed cow hide. Is that true? Kt needs to head to Wested and get the scoop on this leather. ;)
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

That is one sweet looking jacket!!!!!!! 8)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

IndyDoc wrote:I don't think this has been answered, but just guessed at and questioned...

What leather is it? Do you know billy3ci?

As far as I know Wested only has predistressed cow hide. Is that true? Kt needs to head to Wested and get the scoop on this leather. ;)
I've discovered it's far too dangerous for my wallet for to go to Wested!

I took a friend over there a few weeks ago to talk about 2 new jackets (to be revealed later :)). One is a movie based jacket and the other is a TV based one... the movie based one is a distressed brown leather. My friend didn't like the standard distressed cowhide too much (a little light in colour) so Peter said he could use a darker one he had... this may be the distressed lambskin he's mentioned which could also be the skin he used for billy's Doctor Who jacket.

We're due to go back and see him in Jan some time so we'll see. (I'll leave my wallet at home! :) Of course if you send me some spending money I can go over sooner! ;)
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

What do you guys think about this jacket here

I say it's good.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

(ADM. removed ebay auction. Please follow the rules posted at the top of this forum.)

I see you sell the jacket after all.
What made you do that?[/i]
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Obviously he wore it at a crowded movie theater and found that hooligans in back of him were able to yank him by its belt in order to skip ahead in line as I warned of in a previous post. ;) :P

The pictures of the jacket you posted are nice PLATON, but, beware of crowded movie theaters! :D

Seriously, I don't care much for belted leather jackets having one myself that I rarely wear. I'm really not sure of the 'real' reason; I supose it's just a matter of taste.

The jacket you posted pix of also has more of a 'safari' look to it than military as does the Wested, IMO.

I'm assuming that this is not something you own, but merely a post of something you found on Amazon.
Masterfulks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Masterfulks »

Why go through the trouble to get a custom jacket just to ebay it?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Hi Platon,

If you are asking about that jacket as a Doctor Who one then I have to answer "not so much". It's very different, infact the only things it has in common with the Doc's is that is 3/4 length and it is leather.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I was just asking if you people like that jacket.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Ok, then it's a cool jacket. :)
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

PLATON wrote:I was just asking if you people like that jacket.
...ooO! I don't like that jacket. :-s
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

That jacket looks like something out of Carlito's Way.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I was thinking recently that we should get our hand on the coat worn by Al Pacino (I think it was leather), also worn by John Travolta in the movie Get Shortie and also the Mad Max jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Texas Raider wrote:
Michaelson wrote:
Regards! Michaelson

Man! This is what blows my mind about Wested! I've seen this before on a Wested that I had,,how can this get by 'quality control'? I mean these are literally handmade,,the person actually HAD to sew these seams. Do they just ignore the fact that they missed?? Once again I advise, as in another thread,,you really have to baby sit your orders from Wested, before, during and AFTER the process of getting it. Hmm. :?

I'm not bad-mouthing Wested, I love the troops, but I just wonder about this kind of thing coming from them sometimes..

It makes me wonder if it is really worth it to have a jacket hand made. By comparison, you would never see this on a Flightsuits. I guess because they are 'assembly line' jackets or something, the machine never misses, and if it does, it's caught in some kind of quality control.

TR
Well, I just saw this post TR, and just to say that considering it was a custom build, and non-returnable, there wasn't a heck of a lot I could say when I saw these resewn cuff seams. That's why I haven't had a whole lot to say one way or the other since receiving it, but will show photos as soon as they're taken so you can all see what the jacket looks like. Considering how many years it took to convince them to finally make this for me...well, since I'm the only one they had to please, I'm just happy I finally got it.

Now back to our regular programiing. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

this is still one of my favorite looking jackets except for te wesyern style shoulders. I also like the older (WWII) pea coats. The newer ones are not as warm as the old ones. Trust Me!
Pilotguy299
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: I got my Dr. Who/Das Boot jacket!!!

Post by Pilotguy299 »

billy3ci wrote:WOW!!!

what an amazing jacket. if any of you are looking for a 2nd adventure jacket, this is the one. the predistressed hide is simply beautiful. it feels as soft as my lambskin TOD jacket. this Dr Who/Das Boot jacket, in predistressed hide, looks 100 years old but still retains the look of a jacket that is high quality. it's like a flashback to wearing a jacket that a German U-Boat commander would wear. i think a lot of you would love to add this to your collection. it's long (3/4 length) and is so retro and classy. the smell of the leather fills the room.

once again, Wested Leather came through!!! they made it custom to me and got it here in the USA in under 4 weeks.

Woo Hoo!!!

Billie3ci,

2 months later what are your thoughts? Is the jacket holding up well?
(I hope)
Pilotguy299
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

new pics at wested

Post by Pilotguy299 »

For any others who may be interested in this jacket, wested has posted new pictures of it in:

predistressed
http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shop ... dr_who.jpg

and

black
http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shop ... _black.jpg
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Is it just me, or does the predistressed and black look VERY different (note that buttons seem to be higher on the black, the horizontal line seems to be saggier on the brown, and the collars on the black look smaller)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Is it just me, or does the predistressed and black look VERY different (note that buttons seem to be higher on the black, the horizontal line seems to be saggier on the brown, and the collars on the black look smaller)
Which do you prefer? One is a revised pattern.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Well, the black seems sleeker, and with the color, it looks very modern... and dare I say it... futuristic!

The predistressed one looks like it was dragged out of a 1940s military archive... Which is not a bad thing, I should add!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I believe the brown one is the newer pattern. The side entry pockets are more angled, the yoke more angular and the wrist straps closer to the wrist.

But personally looking at thr shot of Eccleston the black jackets side pockets and the yoke look more accurate. It's all swings and roundabouts really.

Next job: Life on Mars Jacket! :).