Introductions and looking for suggestions

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

redgiant9
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Introductions and looking for suggestions

Post by redgiant9 »

Hey all,

I've finally got the chance to join the club and I wanted to get your opinion on who should I buy my first bullwhip from. I think I've narrowed it down to either getting one from David Morgan or from Western Stage Props, which is significantly cheaper than. Any thoughts? I'm just now starting the process of collecting indy gear, I've been collecting the books and comics for a while now, (I think I have all the comics, minus missing an issue or two), and figured it's about time to join the ranks, get myself some gear.

So fill me which would be a better buy? I know David Morgan's whips are pretty good quality, so how does the whips from Wester Stage Props compare? Anyhow I'm looking forward to hearing from you all.

Brian
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Welcome,

This is just one opinion, but having owned whips by almost every whipmaker out there, (at least the ones still alive) I would say that if those are your 2 options, then consider this third one -- Joe Strain of Northernwhipco.com. He's the one who makes them for Western Stage Props, so ordering direct you'll save some cash, plus you can get a more customized whip if you want to change any of the specs a bit. Joe's a great guy & makes great whips. While Morgan's whips were pretty good 10 or so years ago, his present offering leaves a bit to be desired, especially with how high his asking price has gotten. Look through some of the old post here for some pics of Joe's whips, and then go check out his site -- I think you'll be please with the quality of his work. But by all means, let's see what some others have to say on this topic...

~Jace
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

I have the "Indy-on-a-Budget" from www.winrichwhips.com and I love it.
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

Hi and welcome !

If you want the "real thing" go for a Morgan of course !!
but Bernardo Del Carpio is the man for a very very accurate indy whip and great price ! you can see 2 whips i owned from him in the general prop discussion section: My COLLECTION !
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I had assumed that you had already narrowed it down to Morgan or Stage Props, or I would've suggested Bernardo as well. I have to of his kiphide whips, & I think they are some of the most screen accurate whips I've seen to date -- much better than Morgan's current offering. He's a great guy to work with too -- very close attention to details. Check the old whip posts -- I think my one whip is under something like 'tapered handle' -- but Bernardo has quite a few photos of whips he's made on the board...

~Jace
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

I certainly agree that buying directly from Joe Strain would be the best route for a superior quality Indy style bullwhip; quicker delivery, more personal contact, better pricing, and much more reliable than Hollywood Stage Props.

But, you can't go wrong with one of Adam's IOB whips.

I might also suggest you look into EC Whips for a very nicely done, reasonably priced, cowhide Indy style whip.

And, if Jim is still active, a Whipworks whip would do you very nicely.

The reality is that there are a number of very good whips available as attractive options to Mr. Morgans current production.

ATB
-Boggstandard-
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Boggstandard wrote: I might also suggest you look into EC Whips for a very nicely done, reasonably priced, cowhide Indy style whip.

EC whips and Whipworks are the same. But unfortunately Jim isn't making whips at this time. He'd made a post about taking a break from whip making recently:
viewtopic.php?t=17917
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:
Boggstandard wrote: I might also suggest you look into EC Whips for a very nicely done, reasonably priced, cowhide Indy style whip.

EC whips and Whipworks are the same. But unfortunately Jim isn't making whips at this time. He'd made a post about taking a break from whip making recently:
viewtopic.php?t=17917
Thanks for clarifying that, Holly. I'm still nowhere near taking on any custom work at this point, although I do have a whip up on Ebay that had been sitting on my workbench for a while. I have another in progress, but I'm only working on them when I really have the time to do it, so I don't know when I'll actually get to finishing it.

Regards,
Jim
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Brian, Welcome to Club Obi-Wan. Even though you've already narrowed your choices down to Western Stage Props or David Morgan, I'd really recommend getting an Indy style bullwhip directly from Joe Strain. Jace pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post, Joe worked with David Morgan for a while an makes most of the Indy style bullwhips for Western Stage props. If you order directly from Joe you can get the screen accurate knot used on the David Morgan bullwhips but not on the WSP whip and you'll pay less. If you want the real deal David Morgan is the way to go, but keep in mind that its not the same whip that it was 10 or 20 years ago. Its still a good hard wearing whip but the handle section is significantly shorter, thicker and the stands are cut much wider these day giving it a very differnt look and feel. So you might be disappointed if your expecting an exact copy of the Indy bullwhip. Bernardo makes a great Indy bullwhip, one of the better copy's out there, but as stated he works mostly in kip side cow hide, not kangaroo so if your hearts set on a kangaroo hide whip that might be a problem. Browse though the forum for information and pictures; we have several whip makers here who do justice to the Indy bullwhip that can do it for a fair price if you want more options. Good luck

Dan
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Here are some pics of my brand new 8 footer from Northern Whip Co.
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

Here is a picture of 2 bernardo's whip
left: Morgan style, right: Raiders style

redgiant9
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by redgiant9 »

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind as I try and figure out what I want to go with. I think it will be some time before I make the commitment to getting one. I figure I should give it some time to do my homework and check out the vendors that have been mentioned on this forum.

Thanks again,

Brian
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Brian, that is the best way to do it. This site and forum is the quintessential collection of information and knowlege on the Indiana Jones style bullwhip, look around examine your choices. Be sure to talk to the whipmakers out there. Most will do what they can to work with you and get you the best whip for you and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Dan