Lamb or Goat for my first ROTLA leather coat

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Lamb or Goat for my first ROTLA leather coat

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Since I live in a warm climate to start with, I can't imagine going through too many leather coats in our brief warm and dry winters. So I think that I should make my first (and probably last) purchase of an excellent quality leather jacket (a Wested). Now for some details.

I thought I read somewhere that the Indy jacket from Raiders was made out of lamb. However, I'm seeing lots of posts from folks getting excited about their goat skin jacket. Will those of you with knowledge and experience let me know the differences between the two leathers. I know horse hide is an option, but I just can't imagine wearing horse skin.

I know there are probably posts about this topic, but when I search for lamb or goat, I get highlighted words of one or the other in the threads.

Are underarm gussets authentic? One or two gussets? What type of D-ring or side buckle is accurate? I'm assuming 'Authentic' is the color, but others seem to prefer a darker shading.

Thanks for all of your help.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Hi MarkVII,

Have a look at Agent 5's amazing report he posted recently it should answer a lot of your questions. He shows proof of gussets and rectangular sliders.

The lambskin is light and soft and good for a warm climate. Check out Indiana Tones threads. That's a lambskin and he lives in Arizona. I have a lambskin too have a look at my www (button below) for pics.

It is a soft leather, but it ain't tissue paper. If you are hard on your clothes maybe go for the goat, it's a little heavier than the lamb and a lot tougher.

BTW, The sig limit is 100px x 50. that one is a bit big and may get removed.

Kt.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I like lamb if you live in the warmer climates. It's especially good for offices that really like to crank the AC. People ask me all the time why am I wearing a leather jacket in the summer.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Have a look at Agent 5's amazing report he posted recently
Thanks, KT, How do I go about finding Agent 5's report? any pointers are welcome.

I've asked my buddy who created my signature to size it down for me, so hopefully I'll be in compliance soon.

Regards,
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

For my first wested I went with goat. I figured the extra durability would come in handy for those times when Im climing a cliff or being dragged behind a truck :wink: I live in a warm climate aswell(So Cal) and even though the goat is heavier then the lamb, so far I havent been wearing it and felt overheated.but thats only been a few monthes.when it gets to be summer time I might have a different opinion.
Best Regards,
Joe
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I own a goat and I don't think it's thick enough that it would be too uncomfortable in warm weather. Now when it's in the 90's whose gonna be wearing any leather jacket?

I've also been wearing my goat a lot this winter and it's kept me fairly warm with a sweater under it.

The goat is more durable if that helps at all.

It's up to you though.

PITFALL
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Im sorta confused by this, i have heard many times over that goat is the toughest skin, barring horsehide or some other insane hide. Yet, many people say the goat is not so much thicker/heavier than the lamb. I have a cowskin wested, and it feels bulletproof, is the goat even more so, yet it feels lighter? any clarification is appreciated!
-Chris
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I think the best way to describe it is the goat is a richer leather in terms of texture. The cow may be slightly more rigid. They're definitely a heavier skin than the lamb, but not as much as some people make it out to be. I could be wrong, but I think some people have this preconceived notion that the lamb will tear upon soft contact and that the gaot is like some thick, winter jacket. Or, as the loose term around here is used, 'bulletproof'.
They're all durable skins. That's why Wested chooses them. Just like hat bodies, the skins are sometimes faulty in spots. After all, the source materials are natural, living things. You sometimes get jackets that rip or tear, but I think overall majority of people don't have too many problems with their Westeds. You may have a problem getting every single mod added on, but that's a story for another post. :wink:

Chris,
I'd say go for the lamb. I have a feeling that you'll like it so much it won't be long before you're placing an order for your goat.
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

thanks for that agent5, i appreciate the help i prolly would go for the lamb, except im kinda hard on my jackets. I like a real rough N tumble sort of jacket. I a have a non-indy jambskin jacket, and i beat it in like a year haha. Ill probably wind up going for a DB goat after i sell my cow.
-Chris
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

There's a pic I posted here sometime back with a sample of the lamb on top of the goat to show the difference in thickess but I can't find it right now. The goat is about 40% thicker (from memory) and tougher. The cow is thicker still but puffier and heavier, it's supposed to be less strong pound for pound than the goat. The lambskin is a very fine leather, more a 'dress' leather not really meant for toughness.

So all things considered that's why the goat has become so popular, it still drapes similar to the lamb but can take the knocks. BUT if you want something that after a while will age by itself, the lambskin is the one.
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

ahhhh i see, so the cow is a bit thicker, but the goat is tougher. that clarifies. I dont care how thick it feels, as long as it will take the abuse, it could transparent as long as it lasted. Thanks again folks! Youve pretty much made up my mind about the next one!
-Chris[/u]
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

ahhhh i see, so the cow is a bit thicker, but the goat is tougher. that clarifies. I dont care how thick it feels, as long as it will take the abuse, it could be transparent as long as it lasted. Thanks again folks! Youve pretty much made up my mind about the next one!
-Chris[/u]
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks for the replies

Thanks to all for the replies, and especially pointing out Agent 5's and co hort's (sorry, but the co-author/resercher escapes me at the moment) fantasitc summary of what seems to be every conceivable variation or modifiaction. I am thinking that I've definately learned from this string of responses.

I hope it has been helpful to others, as well.