special requests/mods for wested jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

special requests/mods for wested jacket?

Post by Ransom »

Well I've already said this in a post before, but I must say it again. I wish I had found the wealth of knowledge available about these jackets here in the forums before I had ordered!!

Now what are some of the mods I see people talking about in their jackets? E.g. X-Box Stitching, Back elastic "action" pleat.

I don't remember seeing any such options on wested.com for my new jacket :cry: and there is nothing worse than not knowing there were options available to me. Sigh.. Ok, but for future jackets some info in the modding department would be great. Thanks guys!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Hi Ransom,

There are any mods you can do to a Wested but none are essential. The Jacket as it comes is fabulous. You may end up a victim of the "Indiana Tone 2 Jacket Principle". It means what ever the mods you have on your first jacket there are a whole bunch you can have on your second, it's not possible to have all the mods on one jacket!

eg:
Colour,
sleeve taper,
zipper facings,
Left/right hand zipper
D rings/Rectangular Sliders
leather type,
80's cut,
gussets,
pocket facings,
pocket zippers,
extra pockets,
removal of handwarmers,
Collar size,
outside pocket size.
Raiders/TOD/LC
X-box Stitching
Pleat elastic

The list goes on and on. Don't worry too much. And enjoy when it arrives!

Best regards,

KT
Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

thanks

Post by Ransom »

nice listing of available mods, thank you! I suppose you are right though...I will probably love the jacket as it is and any mods can be saved for the 2nd jacket :D When that time comes I will need to get my tailoring for dummies dictionary out and figure out what all of these things mean :wink:

Thanks again
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

It's been my experience that you need to live with a Wested for a while before you really know what mods you want or need. From reading the forum, you might think I've just got to have this certain feature but after living with it for a while you may soon realize that it wasn't really so important. You may also come to realize that you're missing something that you originally thought you didn't need. I truly believe there are no bad Westeds. The standard jacket is terrific so enjoy yours and you may find that it satisfies you as is.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WELL said, Havana. I agree completely. :clap:

Great avatar, my friend. Tales of the Gold Monkey! GREAT show! My youngest daughter loved old Jack the dog. :D

Regards! Michaelson
Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ransom »

Havana wrote:It's been my experience that you need to live with a Wested for a while before you really know what mods you want or need. From reading the forum, you might think I've just got to have this certain feature but after living with it for a while you may soon realize that it wasn't really so important. You may also come to realize that you're missing something that you originally thought you didn't need. I truly believe there are no bad Westeds. The standard jacket is terrific so enjoy yours and you may find that it satisfies you as is.
Good point. My jacket just shipped today and I'm sure I'll like it as it is. Any mod desires can be placed on a future jacket :)
Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ransom »

Michaelson wrote:WELL said, Havana. I agree completely. :clap:

Great avatar, my friend. Tales of the Gold Monkey! GREAT show! My youngest daughter loved old Jack the dog. :D

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson I love the Burns picture! Now you just need some intimidating music, a cryptic burns speech and a follow up cackle :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, it's all there....you just can't hear it! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

What I am seriously interested in seeing is Marc's several pages of screen accurate Wested specs.
Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

it has arrived

Post by Ransom »

Ok my predistressed arrived today and I must say I was very impressed with the quality (way better than a wings jacket), but there was one problem. It was too small... NOOOOO! I had updated my measurements via email no more than a day or 2 after my order, hoping to catch them before they made the big changes, but somehow this didn't get factored in. Instead of having a 42R i received a 40R! It is nearly skin tight around my chest zipped up :( I know leather stretches a bit but I'm afraid of tearing the stitching. Perhaps I should go to a 44 instead if a 40 is that tight?

This isn't good because I had the sleeves lengthened for gangly arms, so wested might not take it back on the grounds that is it is modded jacket. Oh dear, this is bad ! :cry:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

If you just provided the measurements you can always return it. What does the tag say? Got any pics.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: it has arrived

Post by Kt Templar »

Ransom wrote:Ok my predistressed arrived today and I must say I was very impressed with the quality (way better than a wings jacket), but there was one problem. It was too small... NOOOOO! I had updated my measurements via email no more than a day or 2 after my order, hoping to catch them before they made the big changes, but somehow this didn't get factored in. Instead of having a 42R i received a 40R! It is nearly skin tight around my chest zipped up :( I know leather stretches a bit but I'm afraid of tearing the stitching. Perhaps I should go to a 44 instead if a 40 is that tight?

This isn't good because I had the sleeves lengthened for gangly arms, so wested might not take it back on the grounds that is it is modded jacket. Oh dear, this is bad ! :cry:
I wouldn't panic, long sleeves are ok they can always cut them for people. It is the short ones that are the problem! 8)

Don't wear it too much, drop them an email and explain the situation.

What mods did you do?

Kt.

PS. Post pics well tell you if it's too tight!
Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

pictures

Post by Ransom »

Here is the scoop. Apparently my adjustment suggestions that "I'm closer to a 42R instead of a 40R" WERE taken into consideration with this jacket! So now the burden is on me to ship this 2 more ways. Perhaps I should do a 44 instead of a 42 if this is, say, roughly a 41? What do you guys think from these pics?
This first one is unzipped so the tight chest problem won't show here. But the sleeve length is perfect for me, at least I think so.

Ok in this pic you can see what it is like zipped up. And keep in mind this is with only a cotton T-shirt on underneath. A sweater or fleece might not even allow me to zip up.Image
In this pic I'm actually standing up straight instead of conforming to the limitations of the jacket size. My shoulders are back where they should be. Notice the increase in tightness. Keep in mind also that this is TOD jacket and it doesn't even cover up my untucked T-shirt. I might switch to a long.Image

Can you imagine what would happen to this beautiful jacket if i put my hands at my sides and moved my elbows back? RIP! :shock: ImageImage Note the tightness of the seem in the back if I even think to move my arms halfway forward.[/b]
Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

pics

Post by Ransom »

ok, so those picture links didn't take to very well. did I miss something?
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Ransom, how tight do you have the straps around the action pleats? Try loosening them off and see if that helps.

Also, that jacket does look really tight, but wested may not take it back, so you may be faced with selling it :(.

Regards
Craig
Ransom
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ransom »

Farnham54 wrote:Ransom, how tight do you have the straps around the action pleats? Try loosening them off and see if that helps.

Also, that jacket does look really tight, but wested may not take it back, so you may be faced with selling it :(.

Regards
Craig
Unfortunately the straps have not been tightened at all. Besides that this would mostly tighten the waist area not the chest. Simply zipping the jacket shows how tight the chest area is.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Your jacket does look about one size too tight around the shoulders. The length is hard to judge but does look an inch or so short for a ToD. How tight are your straps? Try loosening those a bit. If that jacket is a 40R, you are probably closer to a 42R. Getting a 44 might give you too much room. The jacket itself looks great.
Last edited by Havana on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

What I am seriously interested in seeing is Marc's several pages of screen accurate Wested specs
Got Maul and I took care of that a couple of years ago after the dvd's came out. Took us a couple of days, but we got what we think is THE difinitive list to a completely screen accurate Raiders jacket.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Agent5 do you think you could pm me that list? I'm hoping to order a new Wested Lambskin this summer and am shooting for as much accuracy as possible. Thanks.

SJ
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I certainly would, but I don't have it. Got Maul wrote it down and took it with him, then typed it up on his computer. I haven't seen him around much at all, but perhaps he'll chime in with the list sometime soon.

An important thing we encountered was your height in relation to the standard pocket size. If you're under 5'10", you may want to ask what the standard pocket size is and do some tests to see if it'll look too large on you as it did me. I had the pockets taken in a bit. Peter hit them right on my specs and now they look perfect. The standard pockets would have just been too big. Just something to think about. Same as collar size.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Ransom,

Did you do any additional distressing to this jacket? It looks good and distressed (without looking too artificial).

Regards, Dr. J
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Agent5, in your Raiders ultimate post, you mentioned how the pleats on the back were only 1.5 inches deep. Will wested do that nowadays, or is it standardized? does your raiders jacket have the shallow pleats? Thanx for any info.
-Chris
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Chris,
Yes, my pleats are 1.5" and I did get a Wested with the deeper pleats and can honestly say that I prefer them shallower. They stay open more often than not but that's how they were in the film too. Doesn't bother me, but that's why we have the option for the elastic and deeper pleats. Wested will pretty much do whatever you want but you have to be sure to ask for exactly what you want.
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Im sorry, so wested will make the shallower pleats for me? With the shallower pleats, it looks like the pleats are open most of the time in the film, but as you pointed out, they were way shallower.
-Chris