Khaki EXPLOSION

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Khaki EXPLOSION

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey all,

My name is IndyFrench and I'm addicted to khaki...

Seriously, I just did my laundry and had to do TWO loads of khaki/safari clothing... I had no idea I had this much khaki clothing!

I have 11 Indy-style shirts and 12 pairs of khaki pants, various shades....

But what bothers me the most is... I want MORE.

Anyone else afflicted with this addiction?

IF
jaydoc1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jaydoc1 »

The thing about khaki is, it just looks good. You can wear it for almost any occasion from casual to dressy (if you add a sport jacket) and not look out of place. Khaki also weathers the years well. It seems like it's always in style.

Jaydoc
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Oh yeah, I too have a khaki affliction, for about 30 years. However, my collection doesn't quite match French's. Want more? You bet I do. It may be genetic. My father wore khaki work clothes most of his life, and my son has a similar attachment to khaki.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

If it's not getting in the way of your work or your relationships at home, you're fine. If you have to hock your DVD or pawn your valuables for a quick khaki fix, you need a 12 steps.

I, on the other hand... don't have enough khaki. I love laying out my clean clothes and seeing all the diffrent shades... light bown, stone, khaki, dark khaki, bone... it's all good.

I guess I call it "The Raider Uniform" for that reason.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Uh, unfortunately, yes....

Post by Michaelson »

....but for other reasons besides liking khaki, I am an avid coffee drinker (no snide comments from you, Indiana Jess (grins)) and have found that khaki hides coffee spills quite nicely, but then the British 'invented' the khaki color in India by washing and dyeing their military issues with coffee, and the color is what came about from that practice. Ok, I'm sloppy, so sue me! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Khaki in all shapes and colors....

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Yeah, I'm getting there too. Since our "dress code" at work last spring, almost all I wear daily now is Khaki. LLBean, Cabela's, Noel Howard, etc etc. I wear Khaki shirts with chinos, blue jeans, tan jeans, and black jeans. Shirts with epaulets, or without. Shirts with pocket flaps, or no pocket flaps. Heck, Khaki goes with anything and for any event. It's at the point where I go in to work daily with some Khaki shirt and Chinos and my USWings Jacket and everybody shouts out "Hey Indy!"
Am I addicted? Yes. :wink:
Ain't this a great hobby?
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I'm also sloppy, but not cause I'm a slop but I eat and drink on the move. "Active" is what I call slow-pokes.

Most of my shirts were red cause of all the pasta with the Red sause, and the paints were always black cause of the coffee spills till I realized Khaki not only looked better on me for that swashbuckler look, but hides the coffee stains.

After reading your post, Michealson, I now know why all my new khaki clothes make me crave a black hazelnut with no sugar.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

There ya go. Renderking...

Post by Michaelson »

...You're talking my language now! :D Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Re: Uh, unfortunately, yes....

Post by Indiana Jess »

Michaelson wrote: I am an avid coffee drinker (no snide comments from you, Indiana Jess (grins))
You mean there's other kinds of comments?! Besides the life giving properties of coffee makes it far too sacred to make light of.

I too like my khaki's (I refer to my TOD version as Tackies), but I still can't seem to shake a very funny article by Dave Barry that keeps running through my mind when I wear them. He wrote that Dockers are for men with big backsides. To this day, I avoid Dockers like the plague - even if they do fit! :cry:
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Indiana Jess wrote:
Michaelson wrote:...but I still can't seem to shake a very funny article by Dave Barry that keeps running through my mind when I wear them. He wrote that Dockers are for men with big backsides. To this day, I avoid Dockers like the plague - even if they do fit! :cry:
Oh great! Now it will be running through my mind as well having recently purchased several pairs. Now where did I put those receipts for my refunds.

...and what did this Dave Berry mean by that anyway. sheesh.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Just to add to Jess' comment...

Post by Michaelson »

....my kids were going to buy me a pair of Dockers for Christmas, and asked if I wanted the 'Wide Load' version. I said, 'don't you mean 'relaxed fit'? Reply...'same difference.' Sheesh! The Discovery Channel was right. You eat your children while they're young. :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Just to add to Jess' comment...

Post by Rixter »

Michaelson wrote:....You eat your children while they're young. :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Now that REALLY sounds controversial to me! ...oh well. :lol:
Henri Defense
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Henri Defense »

Indiana Jess wrote: but I still can't seem to shake a very funny article by Dave Barry that keeps running through my mind when I wear them. He wrote that Dockers are for men with big backsides. To this day, I avoid Dockers like the plague - even if they do fit! :cry:
Haha good old Dave Berry! That guy is the best... :D

Henri
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mystique »

IF yeah, the addiction came from my father, who was in the Navy for
20+ years. I loved his Chief uniform when he worked on the base as
opposed to his early sailor whites and blues. He wore Khaki clothes around the house when puttering around in the garden. He kind of
reminds me of Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid cause he's a little guy 5' 4"
but garners much respect at his job as a Civil Service Rep working at a Naval Hospital. I often wore Khaki pants while I was working at an Italian
Cafe for six years. They took the brunt of those coffee spill stains. Especially the espresso stains that would be on my pants that went
through my aprons. The safari shirts just looked nice to me so most of the apparel I wore back then was Military influenced. Epaulets included!
Khakis have such a wide color spectrum too and match nonpareil with
just about anything.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Michaelson wrote:....but for other reasons besides liking khaki, I am an avid coffee drinker (no snide comments from you, Indiana Jess (grins)) and have found that khaki hides coffee spills quite nicely, but then the British 'invented' the khaki color in India by washing and dyeing their military issues with coffee, and the color is what came about from that practice. Ok, I'm sloppy, so sue me! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson, as a fellow coffee drinker I thought of this post of yours this past Friday morning while at work. You see, I usually don't spill my coffee. In fact, I can think of maybe two other times in the past two years that I even dripped my coffee.

Sooo, when I spilled a little bit on my lap at work this past Friday my mind immediately thought of this post of yours b/c of the khaki and the coffee. It's true that it hides the stains for the day. And BTW, thanks for the explanation on why khaki hides the coffee spills!

I.J.
Indy_Prince
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Prince »

Khaki is addictive. I tend to be leaning toward a lot of earth tones of late.
Lots of Khaki Safari Shirts with epaulets. What is a guy to do? I am trying to gauge just the right T-shirt, if I wear one at all, that can match just perfectly. Khaki is just such a all encompassing uniform. I use it like black it seems. My next purchase would have to be a tweed suit like Indy wore in the class room scene in ROTLA. Does anyone know about that suit? Where to purchase, close facsimile? Oh, and did Indy wear the Aldens dress shoes, I picture him as a wing-tip man. Any comments?