10' Joe Strain Whip Arrives! (with pics)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

10' Joe Strain Whip Arrives! (with pics)

Post by Alabama Jones »

After nearly exhausting my funds getting Aldens and an AB, I finally eeked out enough savings to order my first ever 'roo ... from WSP. Would have loved a Morgan, but there are other things I can pick up for the nearly $300 extra it would have cost me. (Actually one more day and I would have bought this for the same price I got the Strain. My luck darn it. viewtopic.php?t=13011

I ordered the 10' in natural and called to specifically request it was a whip made by JOE STRAIN. Unfortunatly, Jo said they are not available right now in natural due to a hide shortage or such. It would be 6-8 weeks for one of these and I couldn't wait so I settled for a "medium brown".

It was shipped this past Friday so hoping I get it soon and can get cracking. :wink: Will post pics...
Last edited by Alabama Jones on Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

If you get a Strain, you won't be disappointed. To my eyes, his whips are the best.

Be sure to post some pics when you get it!
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

Alabama Jones, you made a wise buy! :D

(I own a 10' JS myself. Looks good, cracks better, and holds up to a lot of use-provided you take care of it!) :)
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New Whip

Post by Spooky »

Congrats on the new whip, AJ!
Looking forward to your pics ...
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Thanks guys, I will. Dang its like Christmas Eve. Please, please let it arrive tomorrw.

THis is what it should loolk like... (from a similar E-bay whip)

Pagey, good to hear your thoughts on the Morgan, and you know how I coveted yours. :wink:
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Holy Cow! ... er... kangaroo ... ITS HERE!!!!!!!!

All I can say is WOW!. I can just feel the quality in this thing, and the color is right on the movie whip to my eyes (even though I wanted natural). It has more red in it than you can tell by the pics and is also a lighter brown than it looks.

I gave it an innocent little flick and almost destroyed my living room. :shock: Outside I go... \:D/

Right out of the box. More pics to come...
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Beautiful! And it even came with a free comic book! :lol: :P

Reminds me of when I got my Stenhouse. I had my mom drive me all the way to the post office to pick it up because we missed the delivery. It's a beautiful thing, opening the package to find 12 plaits of 8' long braided Kangaroo hide, topped off with a cowhide fall and a nylon cracker... ahhh, and the smell of leather for days, weeks... beautiful.

But yours is 10' and "medium brown." Mine is "whiskey." But that's alright too.

Enjoy!!!

In Christ,
Shane
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Looks great!

Enjoy it!

Regards,

Adam
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: 10' Joe Strain Whip Arrives!

Post by Ark Hunter »

Alabama Jones wrote:(Actually one more day and I would have bought this for the same price I got the Strain. My luck darn it. viewtopic.php?t=13011
Yeah, darn mine too. I had just bought a whip too or I would have been all over that buy it now price. :(
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Well, now minus an ear and covered with stripes I am still really enjoying the whip. :D I need plenty of practice to get those ear-splitting cracks consistently, and without slashing myself. :oops: The whip is 10 ' NOT INCLUDING THE FALL which is probably another 2' at least w cracker.

Tag still attached you can see the "J.S." for Joe Strain. 8)

And you can see the "comic book Mcfly :P BTW, I've seen pics of your brandy Stenhouse ... very nice. :) ... and thanks Moloram.

Image Image
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Another pic ... with some other gear.

Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I love it!! Just like mine!!! Mine is 10 ft strain.....natural tan but I requested the accurate turks head knot.