Tale of Two Guns

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Tale of Two Guns

Post by Indiana Neri »

Now, the thought has been bouncing around in my mind latley and I am by no means a gun expert, but my question is...

Regarding the Raiders hand guns, which one would be considered THE "hero" or gun that Indy carried, the S & W with the half-moon sight and silver band or the ramped sight (w/ gold medallions on the hand grips if I'm not mistaken). We all know that Indy was seen carrying a number of handguns through out the movie, but maybe it had to do with how long each gun was rented for, and maybe that's why Indy is seen with three?? I don't know, I'm just guessing and making theories, you guys are the real experts. So I am curious as to what you guys think would be the "ultimate" (for a lack of a better word) Raider's hand gun? My educated guess would be the one w/ the half-moon sight.

Indy N. :wink:

PS: Michaelson, if you're reading this, I didn't forget about that CD, lol.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Since he uses both of them guess either could be the hero gun. But I'd have to say the Bapty version with the ramped sight because he did all of his shooting with that one.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Good point, Weaver, I never thought of that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they both S & W HE2's? "Bapty" refers to the loaning company that loaned HF the ramped sight gun, correct?

Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Indiana Neri wrote:"Bapty" refers to the loaning company that loaned HF the ramped sight gun, correct?
Yep, Bapty is the British prop house. The other gun came from Stembridge Gun Rentals in Hollywood.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Tale of Two Guns

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Neri wrote: PS: Michaelson, if you're reading this, I didn't forget about that CD, lol.
Of COURSE I'm reading this. (grins) :wink: Personally I look on the Smith HE with the ramped front sight as THE Indy hero gun, as it was used, of course, in Raiders, but was also the 'firing' weapon used at the beginning of TofD (even though it was a Colt that went bouncing out the window! :roll: )

The Webley was only introduced in LC because Rob McGregor saw one in a gun store while he was working on the screenplay and thought it was a neat looking gun, so he wrote it into the script.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Was there any reasoning for the [RotLA] production team to switch hand guns, or was it a matter of availablity at the time? Or maybe they thought nobody would notice :shock: .

J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I'm not sure, but I think the Stembridge gun was used in the scenes shot in the US since Stembridge is in Hollywood. The Bapty gun was used in the scenes filmed in Europe since Bapty is in the UK. I guess it was easier to find another gun in Europe than it was to bring one from the US.
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Henry Jones Sr. »

Indiana Neri wrote:Was there any reasoning for the [RotLA] production team to switch hand guns, or was it a matter of availablity at the time? Or maybe they thought nobody would notice :shock: .

Time to reminisce--and to preach to the choir and converted!

It's my thought that continuity wasn't absolutely foremost on the minds of the production team (goodness knows we've had a few years--and now the DVDs--to pick apart the details! :wink: ). I think they just picked a variety of "period" handguns, found that certain models like the S&W Mk II HE, Webley, Browning, etc. looked big and powerful in Ford's hands, and they went with 'em.

When we first saw Raiders and the others, either all those years ago in the theaters (for the older professors around here like me), or even if you first caught them on video or even TV, how many folks actually took the time in the Cairo basket chase scene to notice that Indy was using anything more than a big revolver? Did anyone (other than Michaelson perhaps :wink: ) say, "Hey that's bigger than just a .45--I'll bet that's an old Smith & Wesson Model II Hand Ejector, caliber .455!" Well, I didn't! I don't even remember breathing for 20 minutes at a time!

The adventure was just so amazing and intense--and it was that same experience that fueled the passion in all of us here all these years later. We've now had literally decades to analyze and query, debate and investigate a film that from its very creation hearkened back to those "B-grade" serials of the 1930s, '40s, and '50s. Well, while it is certainly fun to ask all these questions these many years later, I sometimes find myself, difficult as it may be, needing to take a step back. None of us can go back and look at any of the films of the trilogy with the same wide-eyed amazement with which we first saw them, no matter how much we would like. But we can sure try...and I personally find it fun to do so.

Thread off-topic? Yeah, and it's my fault. Sorry, gang. I just like to get some perspective now and again. We all love this so much that sometimes it can be hard to see the forest for the trees. I'm not here to blame or accuse anyone of anything, and I apologize to the author of, and contributors to, this thread. I now return you all to your regularly scheduled Guns & Holsters topics.... :roll: The mods can move this elsewhere if deemed necessary...is there a "Speaker's Corner" somewhere around here? :roll:

Sincere regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

No need to apologize, I agree, sometimes we over analyze things. Like the great sock debate a few weeks ago. Sure it was fun debating the correct socks, but for crying out loud there socks! :roll: :wink:
Indiana Wayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Wayne »

J_Weaver wrote:But for crying out loud there socks! :roll: :wink:
White socks! :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Henry Jones Sr. wrote:[
Did anyone (other than Michaelson perhaps :wink: ) say, "Hey that's bigger than just a .45--I'll bet that's an old Smith & Wesson Model II Hand Ejector, caliber .455!"
Sincere regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
You got me there, Henry! :oops: My wife HATES to watch movies like this with me, as I DO point out things like that....as well as whether or not clocks are running on mantles in background scenes or the like.
:roll: :wink:

What I was told many MANY years ago was that the reason for the two Smiths was that one was a .45 ACP, and the other a .455. The one that was the .455 was the close up gun, and the other the 'firing' gun or 'stunt' gun, as it had a chipped panel, and was not a good gun for closeup photography. The example I was always given was the gun toss to the suitcase. We see a close up of the .455 in the rag, but when he tosses it to the suitcase, it is actually the .45 ACP that's doing the stunt. If this is the case, that would mean both revolvers were on set in England, and the person who told me that was told this by the folks at Stembridge Rental when he was doing the initial gear research in 1983. The 'stunt' gun was also the firing revolver in .45, as .45 cal. 5-n-1 blanks have been the normal blank rounds in Hollywood for years, so it was also a consideration of ease of supply for ammunition. These details are also available in the gear section of the main page under 'guns'.

Lots of things to factor in by the prop department.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I would have to say that the Bapty was the "hero" gun since it was used in all but two scenes. On the other hand, the Stembridge is the one I'm looking for, simply because it is a .45 and not a .455. I know that in my personal use at the range I will be more apt to shoot .45 rounds.

Mike
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

I'm probablly commiting "Guns & Ammo" blasthemy, but what are the differences between the .45 and the .455?

HJS, no need to apologize. Every once and a while I like to get "philosophical" in order to expand my knowledge and the fact that maybe someone else out there didn't pick up on a certian thing before. I also, as in the case of this thread, would like to be in the know so when the times comes for me to purchase a firearm, I know which one to get :lol: .

Michaelson, I, too, know what it's like to watch a movie (especially one that I have seen more than a dozen times) and start to nit-pick at the slightest detail. It drives my friends (and each one of my ex-girlfriends) crazy :lol:

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The .45 ACP is a rimless .45 caliber round, originally produced for use for the Colt .45 semi-automatic pistol. The .455 is a short, stubby rimmed round that was quite popular in Britain, and served a LONG and illustrous career in the service of her Majesty until the beginning of WW2. They're section density are pretty close to being the same, though the .455 had a sharper point than the stubby .45 ACP. Either were famous as 'man stoppers' during war. Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Any difference in stopping power?

J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Indiana Neri wrote:Any difference in stopping power?

I'm not sure. I've done a lot of research on the .455 and I haven't been able to find much info. Here is what I can tell you from first hand experience. Since getting my S&W HE a few months ago I've fired about 50 rounds through it. I personally find the .455 to be less powerful than the .45. However, the ammo I have may be loaded somewhat lighter than the military ammo that would have been used when the gun was new. The reason I say that is because my S&W is 89 years old and most .455 revolvers are of similar age. The manafacturer of the ammo may have loaded it light so that there won't be as much pressure on the old guns. But I really don't know, its just a theory, the .455 may have been that light? I would compare the .455 in report (sound) and recoil to the .44 S&W Special.

My ammo was made by Fiocchi, here is what there website says:
.455 Webely MkII- 262gr. bullet- muzzle velocity 655fps- muzzle energy 420ft-lbs

They also make .45acp. The .45 weights in with 390ft-lbs. According to them the .455 has 30ft-lbs more power? I don't have any first hand experience with the .45ACP so I can compare the two directly. But I swear the .455 seams mild compaired to the .45's I've seen. Maybe I'm just too used to firing cannons like the .44 mag. :wink:
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Henry Jones Sr. »

J_Weaver wrote:
Indiana Neri wrote:Any difference in stopping power?

I'm not sure. I've done a lot of research on the .455 and I haven't been able to find much info. Here is what I can tell you from first hand experience. Since getting my S&W HE a few months ago I've fired about 50 rounds through it. I personally find the .455 to be less powerful than the .45. However, the ammo I have may be loaded somewhat lighter than the military ammo that would have been used when the gun was new. The reason I say that is because my S&W is 89 years old and most .455 revolvers are of similar age. The manafacturer of the ammo may have loaded it light so that there won't be as much pressure on the old guns. But I really don't know, its just a theory, the .455 may have been that light? I would compare the .455 in report (sound) and recoil to the .44 S&W Special.

My ammo was made by Fiocchi, here is what there website says:
.455 Webely MkII- 262gr. bullet- muzzle velocity 655fps- muzzle energy 420ft-lbs

They also make .45acp. The .45 weights in with 390ft-lbs. According to them the .455 has 30ft-lbs more power? I don't have any first hand experience with the .45ACP so I can compare the two directly. But I swear the .455 seams mild compaired to the .45's I've seen. Maybe I'm just too used to firing cannons like the .44 mag. :wink:
I, too, have used the Fiocchi in my .455 (it's the only commercially-available .455 that I'm aware of, rare as it is), as well as some of the similarly-grained ammo available from the Old West Scrounger. The .455 ammo is grained lighter than .45 availble today. While the grain count and overall round size is smaller than .45, .455 still has a heck of a kick, and high stopping power.

The lighter grain count is a simple matter of 90-year-old metallurgical technology. The tolerances of gun parts at the time of the .455's manufacture were simply not equivalent to its descendants. A higher grain count would indeed subject the revolver to pressures which could strain the tolerances and cohesion of the metal. Too much explosive power in the shell could reduce the gun to shrapnel, not to mention the possible less-than-desirable effect on the user (not the kind of exploding cigar I'd want to be smoking!).

As for stopping power, many of the S&W .455s were manufactured for use by the British Naval Service, as well as seeing action in various other service branches and situations, including use by some Canadian outfits. Because of the tactical nature of potential naval conflicts, the .455 Naval-issue sidearm was designed and built for close-in work (hostile action on board the ship, boarding situations, etc. From my experience, the .455 would have been ideal: not the world's greatest sidearm at any great distance (though you might be surprised), but more than enough to stop an onrushing attacker with relatively few shots. High efficiency indeed!

While the Fiocchi and Old West Scrounger have distinctly different slug shape (I won't take the time at this late hour to go get open my case to compare, but would be willing to expound upon this at your request), Michaelson is absolutely correct in describing the overall period slug shape as significantly pointier.

The obvious, and perhaps most visibly impressive difference is in the shell diameter. Pop a .45 round into a .455 chamber without half- or full-moon clips or other modification, and the entire round will slip right through and fall on the ground. A .455 round won't even fit in a .45 chamber. The .455 round, while short and stubby, is a fat little fire hydrant of a round. Not a .50 caliber, like Smith & Wesson's new .500 Magnum (a real Howitzer--for boar or even bear hunting!), but it's pretty cool.... :wink:

I'm sure Michaelson and others will chime in (it's always great when they do! :D ), but if you have any other questions, there's a pretty good chance it can be correctly and completely answered here!

Sincere regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.

P.S. to Neri: You have committed no "Guns & Ammo" blasphemy whatsoever. I began my .455 education little more than a few years ago because of this website, and in particular, this end of the forum. I met Minnesota because of the .455, and Michaelson, Lee Keppler, MK, Pyro, and many others because of this end of the COW! It is to these friends that I must acknowledge: :notworthy:

HJS
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent information above. I'm pleased to have contributed my small part to helping introduce you to this particular end of the wonderful hobby of firearms, HJS! :D

One thing we all tend to forget is that the ammunition that was ORIGINALLY made for these revolvers is NOT what is be produced today. The bullet weights I've read for the old .455 rounds were HUGE (some over 300 grains and larger), and therefore MONSTEROUS in terms of stopping power, but not from the power BEHIND the bullet, but from the size of the chuck of lead tumbling across the ground and heading in your general direction! :shock: So, in terms of stopping power, the .45 ACP and .455 were pretty equal on the battlefield. The demand for improvements moved forward with the .45 ACP, and the demand for imrpoved rounds for the .455 slowly died during the 1940's, leaving us with the anemic stuff currently being produced for the old British warhorse.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Henry, I can only second what you have said. :tup: Since I love to discuss stuff like ths I'll through out some more numbers. :wink:
As you said the .455 is slightly bigger than the .45. The .45acp actually measures .452. The .45Colt measures .454, and of course the .455 is just that, .455.

Here is another interesting bit of info. At some point I'm going to start reloading the .455. However, I've had a heck of a time finding reloading data. Just after getting my HE 2 I spoke to Jack Devore about having the barrel cut to Indy specs. We also talked about the .455 itself and I explained how rare data was on it. He told me that I should be able to use most any standard .45acp load in the .455. However, I'm skeptical about this. The .455 is somewhat shorter than the .45acp. So if I use the standard .45acp powder charge in the .455 I'll be getting quite a bit more pressure. Enough that it may not be safe? :-k

Well, that what yu get when you fool around with a rare cartridge like the .455. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Be VERY careful!!! If fired in any gun older than, say, 1935 or so, I'd be VERY leery uploading a .455, simply due to the metalurgy problems. Remember, the originals were made for blackpowder loads, and though they changed to smokeless power for improved performance, the guns were NOT changed until the 30's, so tread lightly. You could have a cannon go up in your face, and by only uploading by a few more grains of powder! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

I agree, be careful. Watch for signs of increased pressure, such as split cases, cratered primers, hard to extract cases, etc.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...missing fingers or hand...burnt off eyebrows...you know, the usual signs.... 8) :wink: Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Thanks, for the info. So how do you convert the caliber of a gun (in this case a revolver), change the size of the cylinder? And what's the difference in .45 and the .45acp (or what does ACP mean?) I'm sorry to bore you with these questions, but we all know what curiosity did to the cat :shock: .

:wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If the barrel is close in terms of diameter, usually boring out the cylinder to the larger caliber is what is done to convert a revolver. It's not as accurate this way, as if the barrel rifling usually won't exactly match the resized bullet, rather than rotating down the barrel, the bullet 'rattles' down (for lack of better description), eventually tumbling, or 'keyholing' through the air, hitting the target sideways. Ugly, both at the target paper (I've actually seen keyholed rounds crack the paper from top to bottom, leaving a perfect outline of the bullet where it passed through sideways :shock: ) and REALLY ugly if it hits a person.

ACP stands for 'Automatic Colt Pistol', the gun the round was created for, the old Colt .45 1911.

.45 Colt is longer in length than .45 ACP, and is a rimmed cartridge, where the ACP is not. The Colt .45 was created for the Model 1873 Colt Peacemaker, and required the rim to hold the cartridge in the cylinder. The ACP, on the other hand, is fed into the gun by way of a magazine, and there fore is semi-rimmed (some refer to it as rimless). That's why you have to have half moon or full moon clips to load them into a revolver, as they have no rim to catch the edge of the chambers of the cylinder.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Thanks, as always, Michaelson.

So is the general concesus here the "ramped" Bapty gun is "THE" Indy gun?

:wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Let's say it's the one that's the easiest to duplicate. 8-[ :wink: Regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Michaelson wrote:Be VERY careful!!! If fired in any gun older than, say, 1935 or so, I'd be VERY leery uploading a .455, simply due to the metalurgy problems. Remember, the originals were made for blackpowder loads, and though they changed to smokeless power for improved performance, the guns were NOT changed until the 30's, so tread lightly. You could have a cannon go up in your face, and by only uploading by a few more grains of powder! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Darn tootin pal! :wink: This is one time that I gotta say Jack is way off the mark. I've been reloading for years, so I know what a difference a few .1 of grain can make.

My S&W HE 2 shipped on March 29, 1916 to the British government. It fires excellently with the factory ammo I have.

By WWI the conversion to smokeless powder had already been made. If I've got my facts straight, the .455 Webley Mk II or .455 Eley, which ever you prefer was the result of the conversion from black to smokeless powder. As I remember the original .455 of the 1800's was a longer round. When they began converting to smokeless powder the shortened the brass to the size we have today. However, as usual, I can't find the info again to confirm this.

But any way, I'm not gonna do any reloading for the .455 until I can get some definite numbers.

On side note, I noticed that the cylinder of my HE has a purple tint to it. I was told by a gun smith that it is because it has a high nickle content. Which he said is good, it means its a strong gun.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

He's right. Hot water bluing will cause steel with a high nickel content to turn purplish in color during the bluing process. Regards! Michaelson
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

To All: it's very easy to have the .455 chambers in your H.E. 's cylinder bored out to take .45 Colt and .45 Schofield rounds. I know this as I have had it done before. The revolver I'm about to purchase, which is a close ringer for the Bapty revolover, has already had this done to it.

RonC