Anybody have an original MKVII bag from WPG?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Tristan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Anybody have an original MKVII bag from WPG?

Post by Tristan »

I noticed that Jerry is now selling original MKVII bags in addition to his replicas. The originals go for $45 each and come with an original non-leather strap. Anyway, has anybody gotten one of these yet? The picture of one on the website looks great and I'm seriously considering getting one. The website says that: "these bags appear to be in unissued condition, although some show minor corrosion of metal parts." Any feedback on these would be appreciated.
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

Tristan,

I am interested also, I ordered one last week and received an email today that it was shipped. I will be glad to give details and pics when I receive it. I decided I wanted an original and have already ordered a strap from TAG.

I can't wait to see it!
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

I tried one, and unfortunately the example I received suffered from dry rot. Within 24 hours it began tearing at the point where the webbing holding the rings attached to the bag in addition to the shoulder strap popping in two with only a gentle tug, and all I had done before using it was give it a gentle hand wash. He immediately sent a replacement as soon as he was notified of the problem, but it started doing the same thing. For what it's worth, he told me that I was the only one who had had such a problem and offered to send me a third bag, but I opted to exchange it for one of his repro Mk VII "Indy" bags to which he readliy agreed, refunding the difference in price. This was really a shame, because the bags were very nice looking, almost unissued. But I guess 60 years of improper storage had taken its toll.

In his defense, I've been doing business with Jerry for several years, and this was the first time I had ever had such a problem. I've always been very satisfied with his merchandise and will continue to deal with him in the future. If Wrightknife's bag turns out okay, I may try another one.

And FWIW, I got a TAG strap to replace the one that came with the repro and the combination looks great. In fact, I just got back from a week of crawling around cliff dwellings in SW Colorado, and bag and strap performed flawlessly. :D

Cheers!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I've got one on order too. Hope it turns out ok. :ducttape: I've also got some TAG lether gear (strap, belt, holster) on order. :D
Tristan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Tristan »

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll wait for more pictures before I rush into getting one of these bags. But, like Baggers, I have also had a very good customer service experience with WPG. Once, Jerry let me exchange a bag I had with two metal discs on it for a regular one, months after I purchased the original bag. Some of the top threads on my current repro WPG bag have come loose and I should be able to sew those. But, this is really my only complaint with WPG. By the way, I also recently got a TAG strap and am very satisfied with it.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I've heard that problem mentioned about the WPG reprobags a few times. I have one currently and it hasn't come loose but it may be close.
Watcher817
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Watcher817 »

Which threads are coming loose? Anything important to the integrity of the bag or just cosmetically?
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

In my case, it was just a few stitches holding the top edge of an inner divider panel in place where it joined the corner of the outer bag shell. Nothing that would endanger the overall integrity of the bag itself. I haven't even bothered to repair it yet.

Cheers!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Mine is sort of loose on at least one of the pieces holding the strap rings, but easily fixed if it does come loose.
Tristan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Tristan »

Which threads are coming loose? Anything important to the integrity of the bag or just cosmetically?
I've got links below to some pictures of what my bag now looks like with its loose threads. I'd say this is mainly a cosmetic problem that really depends on individual taste. I've also had some threads come loose inside the bag where the internal pockets connecting to the interior backing of the bag are separated. But, that was probably mainly caused from me carrying a screwdriver in the bag in a poor position. Anyway, these threads have not come loose enough to obliterate the seam-caused pocket separation. I figure my loose threads can be sewn back with a relatively large needle and matching thread but I don't have these materials yet.

I also wanted to mention that the strap in the pictures is from Texas Action Gear and the leather has a nice supple feel even before pecards.

Bag with loose threads (side view)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/I ... G_0554.jpg

Bag with loose threads (overhead view)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/I ... G_0553.jpg

Bag with loose threads (close up view on one loose end)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/I ... G_0558.jpg
Watcher817
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Watcher817 »

Sweet. Nice seeing those pictures and hearing about the TAG strap after just ordering one. I'm a bit anxious about my bag in Africa so I appreciate the ready response.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Just got my original bag today. Smells very musty so I sprayed it with some "Fabreeze". Hopefully that won't be harmful. 8-[
Antilles
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Antilles »

About a month ago I bought both a MK6 as well as a MK7 from WPG. I was pleasently suprised with the quality. Maybe I was lucky but the MK7 is like a brand new bag with little to no smell at all. I did notice some very minor frayed stitching but it seems to be holding up well.

Antilles
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Hello Everyone!

I just registered, and as a fledgling gearhead ( already almost broke from going on a shopping frenzy for FS jacket, Aldens, AB hat, etc.) I have a question: what/who is WPG!!!

How can I be one of the cool kids without this knowledge? Ack! Fthhpt!

Thanks,

Nevada
Indiana Wayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Wayne »

Nevada Jones wrote:I have a question: what/who is WPG!!!
What Price Glory.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Ah, thanks! One last question: What is the deal with the little hat thingees that go with one's name?

Thanks again,

Nevada
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

OH cool I can answer this one!!

Nevada,

Those are rankings (kind of) you will progress up as you post to articles and take part in this community.

Regards,
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Groovy! Thank you both. I'm off now to check out the Orvis store near to where I live for this Officer Twill pants.....

Nevada