Raiders gloves

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Raiders gloves

Post by D. Blank »

Hello all,
I'm new her so forgive me if this was already covered, It looks like Indy's gloves have been identified as "Wells Lamont" style 1130. I found these gloves at walmart for $10. my question is what color do you all think is correct, off white or tan? I'd include a Picture but I can't figure out how to post a picture.
Thanks, Dale
[/img]
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Both, but I gravitate more in the direction of the tan color.

Illinois
ArdethBey
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ArdethBey »

I'd go off white and distress them with mud. They look really white on film, might be the leather, might be the sand and dust giving them that "powdered" look.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Raiders gloves

Post by Renderking Fisk »

D. Blank wrote: It looks like Indy's gloves have been identified as "Wells Lamont" style 1130. I found these gloves at walmart for $10.
Dale, does your Wal-Mart carry those in size Med? And if I sent you the cash could you send me two pairs? All the gloves here arn't even close!
D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by D. Blank »

Sure, I'd be glad to help you out. My email is dblank@milwpc.com
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I must concur wth ArdethBey--I got the off white and distressed them, naturally, with North Georgia red dirt and mud. Why the off-white? B/c there was no other option like tan.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I'm going through heck trying to find the right gloves here north of Boston. I've been to Wal-Mart where they're supposed to carry them, insteed I find a knock-off brand which are close enough but they come in two sizes... Large and Extra Large. With the pair I got... when I throw the fresby the glove goes with it. (If you have a dog that's half NewFoundlander/ Half Wookie... you'll understand WHY you need to wear gloves. One word - Slobber.) It's funny when one dog brings back the frisby and the other one's at your feet chewing the $12 pig hide.

I bought a pair of Wells Lamont that were dark brown that were a size small and they seemed alright but after one day I figured they were the reason why my hands hurt. "Oh, cause part of my hand can't bend with the rest of the hand." I don't have arthritis... I got brain damage thinking these would be just as good. Those are now in the tool box I've been putting together for my wife's car.

So, I figure I need two pairs... one for me and one for another gearhead that needs them more then I do.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Heck, RK

Post by Michaelson »

Had I known you needed a pair, I'd have picked you up some down here. They're a standard stock item here in Tennessee Wal-Marts. Regards. Michaelson
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

The same place is get mine Michaelson, I love um, I have had two pairs now. I use them as work gloves when needed, gives them that nice used look and it's not fake distressing :D
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Gloves and Shoes are the two items that distress really quick naturally.
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

• B/c there was no other option like tan.[/
    list]

Why do the gloves in Raiders appear to have that tan color? In some scenes you can see the tan hues?

Illinois
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Well

Post by Michaelson »

I've purchased them both ways under the 1130 number. Not sure, but it may have to do with what ever source of hides they have at the time when producing them. Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

I've gone to a couple of Wal-Marts and a few of the large hardware stores up here in the Seattle area and the only gloves I've found sold are made by 'Stanley'. This is one time where Stanley can't help me do it right.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

I'm sorry guys, but I'm still 100% convinced that they are the Midwest 850's and 851's. I have both and in my opinion they are more comfortable gloves, better looking because the color is better (remember that Indy's gloves were light because they were caked with sand and dust), and tougher for any job. Now, that is just my opinion so don't be offended. Plus, you can get the Midwest's at nearly any Home Deopt.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Magnum wrote:I'm sorry guys, but I'm still 100% convinced that they are the Midwest 850's and 851's. I have both and in my opinion they are more comfortable gloves, better looking because the color is better (remember that Indy's gloves were light because they were caked with sand and dust), and tougher for any job. Now, that is just my opinion so don't be offended. Plus, you can get the Midwest's at nearly any Home Deopt.
I'm with Magnum. I have a couple of the 850's and they are NICE. You can beat the comfort of "buckskins". Only my David Morgan kangaroo gloves are nicer, thinner and more durable since roo has the highest tensil strength of any leather on this planet. But they are $50 plus a pair.

-Sergei
Bounty Hunter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Bounty Hunter »

Where do you guys get those great clear screen grabs from?? Japanese DVD? I've always wondered this... also, i always see pictures of scenes that aren’t even in the movie ??(Example, the side shot of Ford with Belloq in the bar, or the side shot of Ford about to kiss Marion in Nepal.. there’s more)
Sorry, but I’m curious
Dylan
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

WAY off subject, but look how floppy the back of the hat is :)
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Bounty Hunter,

Your post seems to be a little off topic but I am interested in your question.

Would you mind starting your inquiry as a separate thread? I would like to see what the response is.

Thanks!
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I finally FOUND a pair at an Agway that I pass every day on the way home! Awesome gloves. They were a bit tight but as I wore them while I was driving they loosened up!

Good times!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Midwest or Wells Lamont

Post by Michaelson »

Both brands of gloves were purchased and used by the Paramont studio when Raiders was made. The gloves were borrowed from the grips when the movie was shot, as no one thought to supply Ford with a pair in his wardrobe. We have copies of supply orders for Wells Lamont to Paramont, shipped to the studio and locations in 1980. MidWest was used as a secondary supplier, so it's a toss up as to which pair he was handed from one scene to the next. Your call. Either are correct. You can be as many percent sure as you want. Everyone is right regarding brand if choosing between the two. Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Fisk,

Did you get Midwest or Wells Lamont? Either way, I'm happy for you, dude!! :D
jaydoc1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jaydoc1 »

OK, I'm sure I'll get some arguments from this reply but I'd almost bet that the glove color (at least for most of the scenes) is the light tan color from Wells Lamont (instead of the darker tan or white glove colors you'll also find). Having worked on horse/cattle ranches in my younger days, I'd go through a pair every month or so. They wouldn't really wear out, but they'd get snags from repairing barb wire fences, etc...

The light tan color soaks up the oils and sweat from your hands as you work and gets dark streaks and lighter patches. The dark tan color gets darker streaks but doesn't really lighten up anymore. At least if you're distressing using this old-fashioned method.

The great thing about almost all the Wells Lamont gloves I've owned is that they tend to get softer rather than stiffer with use. And if they do stiffen up during a period of non-use they soften right back up within minutes of working in them again.

My a-little-more-than-two cents-worth.

Jaydoc
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I got a pair of MidWest... I'm pretty happy with them. I don't know what's the deal, these gloves hide the grass stains better then the "Close-enough" Well's that I had.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I took Sergei's idea about Home Depot and went there after work to see about the Midwest brand.

They had another brand of West something-or-other in a model 85000. Nice tan color and looked similar but it was not Midwest.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I was in another one today and the brand is West Chester. This is definitely not Midwest.

Since I'm in the land of Home Depot--Atlanta being their Corporate home--I will continue the search....