help with leather choices for another jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

help with leather choices for another jacket

Post by nicktheguy »

I am looking at my authentic lambskin and am thinking it is time to order another jacket from Wested. Does anyone have any reccommendations towards goat or horsehide?
Are there any other tidbits I should consider? I definately will be adding the hidden elastic this time.
Any suggestions would be great!
RelicHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RelicHunter »

I have an authentic brown goat and I can truly say I have never owned a better jacket. Goatskin is tough, durable, and holds up to water quite well.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

I will definately post my take on the horsehide once mine arrives, but the question is what characteristics are you after? The goat and horse are very durable. Scince you have lamb already, maybe you would want a heavier leather. From an appearance standpoint, horse has a very smooth finish while the other leathers have more grain to them. Its all about what you want. I chose the horsehide because I already own (non Indy) jackets made from cow, lamb and goat, and Wested is offering it at a very reasonable price.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Based on my experience with A-2 jackets, I would say go for horse. Goat is great, maybe the best overall but it's too close to the lamb you have now to be a good 2nd jacket. Shoot for the horse.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Bjones, I look forward to your post on the heavier, smoother grained horsehide when it arrives and your thoughts on it other than to get something different since both goat and horse are very durable.

Havana, you didn’t mention what ARE your experiences with your horsehide A-2 jackets and whether it really would be a good alternative hide for an Indy type jacket, ...durability alone. :?:
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

In my experience, horse is tough but scratches more quickly. Goat does not scratch at all unless you wrestle a gator.

I'd go for a Dark Brown Goat for variety. My cousin has on and I LOVE the color !

Ken
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I have heard goat is the way to go from many - I would prpbably use the jacket with my vintage motorcycle - would goat be good for the roads, or would horse be better....
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Nick, Let me restate that I really do believe goat is the best leather for overall use. If you're really looking for an Indy style riding jacket I would recommend horsehide or cowhide. If you should ever have to hit the asphalt, I think you'd want something thicker than goat. I have owned 2 horse A2's. One was a late 80's Avirex in a russet color. The leather was smooth but thick and flexible (after a while). I never noticed any excess scratches. The other A2 was 60's vintage and came without its original lining so I don't know the maker. The leather was a bit thinner than the Avirex and more coarse to the touch. It was also flexible but stiffer than the Avirex. Both jackets got soaked and never showed any damage after air drying. If you're serious about riding in a Wested, you'll probably get a lot of wind up the sleeves, which could be nice in warm weather. The collar will slap you silly. You might want to ask Peter about putting some snaps under the collar like you find on A2's. Good luck to you in making your choice.