Let's play musical Indy fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Let's play musical Indy fedora

Post by Fedora »

I got an idea. I have my own personal Raiders fedora made of the mercury felt that I would like to mail out to someone who would be intersted in seeing what an era accurate hat would have looked like and felt like. No lurkers please. :lol: I would trust anyone here to send it on to the next guy, or gal and keep it going until everyone has a chance to see it, that wants to see it. Now, besides seeing some of the best felt in the world, you would also see my workmanship, block shape, etc., so you would know what to expect if you ever are interested in one of my other hats. You can try it on if you wear a 7 1/4, or smaller, but just look at it if your hat size is larger. :lol: Now, this hat is not for sale, so send it back!!! If anyone is interested, let us start a list so we know whom it goes to first, and second, etc. Or not. :lol:

I will send it in a 1970 HJ shipping box with the HJ logo and name on the outside so you guys can see this too. Plus, it is a sturdy box and will protect the hat handily. Thanks, Fedora
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

It'd be cool to get everyone's portrait wearing or, if they have a larger melon, holding the hat too.
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

Wow, that's pretty brave of you Fedora.

Luke
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Wow, that's pretty brave of you Fedora

Nah. I trust the guys here. Plus, I would not hesitate to drive to wherever it got stuck and free it up. :lol: I figure most of the guys that would be intersted in seeing this old felt have done business or got free reblocks in the past. They trusted me in my early stages with their hats. It's the least that I can do. :wink: Fedora
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I don't dare take on that kind of responsibility. Also, since I've only been here two months, I'm still not that far from being a lurker anyway, so I wouldn't make the cut. But your generosity to the 'guild' of the gearpages is admirable. Cheers. - J
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

Indiana Jerry wrote:I don't dare take on that kind of responsibility.
I'm in the same boat. I'd probably just see the box in the mail, chicken out, and send it along without even opening it. Then I would panic and wonder if I got the address right.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Note to self: Send empty box to Trev, let him take the wrap. :wink:

Sorry, Fedora, I now return you to the thread already in progress before we so wooodly interrupted.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Oh man, I wish you could have mailed it to one of the So.cal guys for us to all see on the Queen Mary. Kill several birds with one stone.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Ah,come on. It is just a piece of felt. You guys are talking like it is the gold idol or something. :lol: Fedora
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Right. A hat is a hat. Unless it has chocolate in it. Or it's from Fedora.

I guess the daunting thing is what you wrote in line number 1 up there:
I have my own personal Raiders fedora
Maybe if you said, "I've got an old beat up hat that I experiment with, but gee, it's the real beaver" it wouldn't seem so much like something we are all afraid to sit on. :wink:

(Sit on Fedora's hat, and forever shall ye be banned from COW! :evil: )

I'm kidding...but Fedora, you do pull a lot of respect around here. Me, I'm not taking a chance w/ your 'personal' hat. :wink:
bare-butt Hovi wrote:why are we talkin' about killing birds here? b.b.hovi
Beavers. We're talking about killing beavers. Oddly enough, I know a place in NY called BeaverKill. Or was that FishKill? (EDIT: Come to think of it, I think I recall both.)
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

Fedora wrote:Ah,come on. It is just a piece of felt. You guys are talking like it is the gold idol or something. :lol: Fedora
I don't know, what's it weigh? That thing might be worth more than gold. :D

And Jerry, that was a very mean, yet very clever idea. :tup: I'm proud of you. Maybe you should get one of those scoundrel labels.
Hatman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hatman »

I would love to see some of your work Fedora,
but this hat sounds too nice to pass around.
Too much responsibility!!! I would hate to see
something happen to it!!!! If I''m ever down your
way though, I would love to stop and see ya.

Hatman
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Fedora, I know your work and anticipate you opening shop! I must admit I'd be interestd in seeing this hat and comparring it to my other vintage hats. So I'll take the chance. Do you still have my address? (Hmmmm....it IS my hat size... :wink: )

bink
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

must admit I'd be interestd in seeing this hat and comparring it to my other vintage hats. So I'll take the chance. Do you still have my address? (Hmmmm....it IS my hat size... )

And I would love for folks like yourself to see it. Look guys, this is just another hat, and only one of many that I own. I place no more value on it than I do any other hat, which isn't very much. When you own as many hats as I do, it would not even be missed if the dog ate it. :lol: I figure the vintage lovers would like to see this hat to compare to theirs. If someone wants to take it to that west coast get together, feel free to do so. It isn't like I need it to keep my head warm. :lol: Ok, it will be shipped to Melty Man when I send his other 2 hats back today. I guess you will need to send it to Binkmeister when you get tired of looking at it. I am in no hurry to get it back, so take your time guys. And, you can't hurt this hat. If it is a bit worn when I get it back, next year sometimes, I will just refurbish it. I have everything that I need to do that. :wink: :lol: Don't be afraid of it, because I will wear it like my other hats, in the rain and dust etc. It won't get any special treatment from me. I figure the hat will look better when I get it back. :wink: regards, Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hey, Melty Man, are you going to take a look at this hat? If so, I'll PM you my address so you can send it when you're done with it... :wink:

bink
myronw
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by myronw »

Hi guys,

Expect to be delighted when you see the hat! I've been wearing my Bone color one from the ######, and it is one nice hat. The felt is just different than the new stuff, and yet you can have it made into any kind of hat you want. Could you ask for anything more than that?

Myron
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Fedora, I'd suggest you fire it off to Sergei so HE could possibily carry it over to the QM summit this weekend to show off (pretty bold of me, offering his services, isn't it? I'm a cheeky bugger... :wink: ). It doesn't start until Friday, so there's still time to overnight it or something. Just a thought. Regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Ah, that may be a good idea. I will pm him and see if he is interested, or you can do the honor if you don't mind. He can then send it to Melty Man, who will send it to Bink......... Oh, and guys, just forget the the old saw that goes, "if the hat fits, wear it." :lol: :lol: :lol: Or was that the "shoe"? Close enough. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We'll hit him from both sides. How's THAT for a plan? :D Regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Will do, and did. :D Thanks. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Same here. :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I will be glad to show at the QM Summit 2004. PM sent on the mailing logistics.

HJ, hey??? Wow can you duplicate the old-man Swales rough dimensional cut with scissors? :-) Just kidding!!! Swales brings back lots of memories. No one can replicate his acerbic wit and the look that will make any person with confidence pee in his MBA trousers. Ahhh, memories....

Looking forward to seeing the Mercury!

-Sergei
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

I'd love to see it after Bink. And I've dealt with both Bink and Fedora so you guys know my addy. It'll give me a good idea of what size to order when the bodies come in.

AC
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

"Yes, I'd like a short body with long arms, please..." :wink:

Hey, Fedora, how thin is the Mercury felt compared to the felt you'll be offering on the AdventureBilt?

bink
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Sergei wrote:I will be glad to show at the QM Summit 2004. PM sent on the mailing logistics.-Sergei
That's a great idea!
Pyro
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I place no more value on it than I do any other hat, which isn't very much. When you own as many hats as I do, it would not even be missed if the dog ate it.

Hmmmm. And it is my size too. Rick had it last. Where did it go? :roll: 8)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Fedora wrote:Look guys, this is just another hat, and only one of many that I own. I place no more value on it than I do any other hat, which isn't very much. When you own as many hats as I do, it would not even be missed if the dog ate it. :lol:
Okay, then, I'm in. AFTER everybody else, but still before Trev, in case it goes missing. ;)

But let's see if it makes it to the QM first, since I'll be there. If it doesn't make it or I miss it, I'll post again to be added to the end of the list then. :)

Fedora, this is like...well, heck, I can't think of anything other than pure temptation and great advertising! :) But more than anything, a chance to really figure out how a vintage hat feels.

Thanks again - J
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I would love to get a chance to check out this "new" vintage felt that Fedora has acquired. Since I'm in Japan the shipping's going to be a bit more than within the US, but I can probably chip in on the cost to get it here.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Fedora,sign me up!!!!
Hatman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hatman »

fedora
just in case you did not get my PM, put me on the list too.

Hatman
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I hope Pyro is bringing his Peter Bros. Mercury hat to the Queen Mary...it'd be nice to compare the 2 felts.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

For those of you going to the QM...if it's not a mistake, it sounds as if Fedora has actually gone one turn farther, and actually donated a hat for the drawing at the Saturday night dinner on the QM!

Arrrr...now, to break a promise to my wife or not to break a promise to my wife...perhaps I can just eat two dinners that night... ;)
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Breaking promises to wives...very dangerous...you go first. :lol:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I guess technically it isn't a broken promise if I eat TWO dinners, right? (Oh, er...this is how double-lives get started, isn't it? ;))
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I don't know Jerry, still sounds dangerous to me. Just remember the magic words, "Yes Dear" and you'll make it through this alive.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

"The penitent husband shall pass...the penitent husband shall pass...the penitent husband, the penitent husband? Kneels!"

(WOOSH the frying pan just misses my head.) :junior: - J
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yeah, just make sure you spell her name right, or ELSE! :wink:

bink
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:I hope Pyro is bringing his Peter Bros. Mercury hat to the Queen Mary...it'd be nice to compare the 2 felts.
Yes. It's my dress hat for Friday night. :D

Pyr
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Uh, guys, I have to renig of this offer. A long story, but basically amounts to "I tried to give him something for nothing, while he was trying to give me nothing for something". I know this sounds like nonsense, but trust me. :wink: If you know where these hats originally came from, you can put 2 and 2 together. Enough said. :wink: Fedora
Hatman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hatman »

I understand completely, enough said, is right.
Regards
Hatman
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I don't really understand, but that's okay. It's your hat and your decision Fedora. I'll just have to wait until I get my very own F&G in beaver before I can see the famous Fedora touch! Who knows I may just have to save up enough to order one from the vintage felt bodies!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Indiana Jerry wrote:"The penitent husband shall pass...the penitent husband shall pass...the penitent husband, the penitent husband? Kneels!"

(WOOSH the frying pan just misses my head.) :junior: - J
Jerry,

That was a COW classic. You had me laughing out loud. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Fedora wrote:Uh, guys, I have to renig of this offer. A long story, but basically amounts to "I tried to give him something for nothing, while he was trying to give me nothing for something". I know this sounds like nonsense, but trust me. :wink: If you know where these hats originally came from, you can put 2 and 2 together. Enough said. :wink: Fedora
:-k Man, I'm dumber than I look today. No, really, dumber than I look. It is in fact possible.

Regardless, Fedora, not an issue at all. Understand...no, ah,...accept completely that this was w/in your right. Thanks for thinking of us in the first place. :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I perfectly understand, too, Fedora. No sweat off my back. In fact, I'm still surprised that you even offered to do this at all! Besides, I can still speak highly of the work you've done for me on a couple of hats in the past, so I know you're going to produce an excellent fedora! :wink:

bink
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

binkmeisterRick wrote: I know you're going to produce an excellent fedora!
I have faith he'll produced a lot more than one. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yeah! At least TWO, if not THREE!!!! :wink:

bink
IndianaMontecristi
Vendor

Post by IndianaMontecristi »

I have hats worth thousands of dollars that I trust to international mail biweekly. Don't be chickens.