The original felt maker found....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Jsoftz
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jsoftz »

I'm very interested too. I wear a 7 1/8ths or a 7.. whichever. This sounds very exciting!
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Hats direct is a good idea, the only problem is that the shipping costs to and from would be murder im afraid. :?

What about Peters Bros?

I J
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

For $25, count me in. I'm a 6 7/8...In fact, I might get two...one for my Indybust head, but I need to figure out what size he'd be. And then I'll probably take it up to PB and pay them to complete it. What do you reckon they cost (as I'm not sure what this process is called. Is it a rebuild?)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I doubt if hats direct will do any finishing. They buy hats and just resell them, a hat retailer. I am corresponding with Cury, and as soon as I get things worked out, I will post the names of the folks here that have shown interest in spending 25 bucks, and also the ones that PM'ed me. If this all works out, I plan on taking my HJ sweatband out along with the crest and installing this on my Cury. They are still new, and this will be as close as I get to owning a Raiders film hat. But, if you have the original felt,and the HJ signage, you could not tell the difference between it and the real deal. I am getting excited about this. regards, Fedora
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Just say when and where you want the cash, I'm in.

I J
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Fortune and Glory »

ditto, and hats off to Fedora for all the digging. i've got my fingers crossed that we're not doing it in the wrong place, but the thrill of the hunt has meaning in itself, i think.

F&G
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

Great minds truly think alike! :wink:

I was going to suggest "cannibalizing" a Fed for its sweatband, but Fedora beat me to it! (Of course, surgery on a HJ is a much more serious proposition. :shock: )

A sweatband transplant would be worthwhile if the Cury felt proves to be the real deal.

Bushman
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yep, if this proves to be the real deal, removing the HJ's innards will be a pleasure. :wink: Fedora
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

I was even starting to mull over trying to find any ol' white-lined HJ hat off Ebay for cannibalization.... :D

-Leslie
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Hi there Fedora,

Please put me down as well for one of those bodies. Heck at that price it is worth taking a risk, as I would probably send $25 on something really silly, so I am down for one as well,

Kind regards,
Stefan
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

I may have a connection in Oklahoma that can pounce the hats.............let me do a little digging..........
Kit Walker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kit Walker »

I too am interested just need to find someplace that can finish a 75/8 hat.

Three cheers for Fedora! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Oklahoma, that sounds great. The pouncing is very important and to do it by hand would literally take hours. If you can find someone to do that stage, I would just send mine off and have it done. Keep us posted sir. regards, Fedora
Jsoftz
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jsoftz »

What exaclty is pouncing?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Pouncing? Nothing more than sanding with a really fine grit paper. But, to do it by hand is very time consuming. Normally a good bit of felt is removed in the process, and the removal must be equal or you get a hat that is thin in places and thick in others. The pouncing gives the hat its smooth finish. Raw bodies are rough looking. A hatter has a machine that does the work instead of the old time way of using elbow grease. Fedora
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

They aren't pounced? How much do hatters typically charge to pounce a hat?

(When you first said pounced, I imagined Dakota Ellison's formerly furry fedora. I'm glad we won't have that much hair to shave off.)
Jsoftz
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jsoftz »

Oop. One more thing if you would(hopefully). Did you inquire as to the origin of the grey felt bodies? The color Indy has, the dark grey with a hint of brown is really unique. If they sold that body too, that would be really grey-t (ha ha).
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Fedora, can you, or me (I'd like to make my own block for this) do something with something like these? (not Cury bodies)Image I mean, how would you get the sharp90 degree crown to brim? I thought they used an elaborate machine with a bunch of "fingers" that stretched the brim to do that? Is it possible that Cury is supplying bodies to any of the known Indy type fedora makers? What if they made some like this regioanal model of theirs and we reblocked it?Image
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

After christmas, and I'll stress SHORTLY after christmas, I'll be having my hat reblocked by a Toronto hatter (see: Good news regarding Canuck Hat Blocks).

He claims he has a full line of really good raiders-esque blocks so we may have a hatter who can block any and all sizes.

But whith all theses shipping charges I see we may end up with a 500 dollar hat!

Regards,

Farn
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

More news. Cury is sending me a sample of this felt in the same brown(supposedly) that was sold to HJ. If you guys want, I can mail this to one of us,and then you mail it to the next guy/gal, until all that wants to see it has the chance to do so. 3M$, those are cones, not hat bodies. Hat bodies come as an open crown hat, just rough and unfinished. The brim will be there, you just have to cut it down. :wink: I will keep everyone posted. regards, Fedora
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Three cheers for Fedora!
With all due respect for Fedora (and I am certainly one of those who has HUGE respect of him), but it was Redbeard who found this vendor.

But what I actually wanted to say is something else: I discussed this topic with ###### and this is what I got in reply:
Marc, I stand prepared to offer sweats, grosgrain , liners blank or printed and any other supply to any of the guys that wish to make a hat.
I think this is a kind offer, so let's keep it clean please!

Regards,

Marc
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Actually Luger from Indyfan was the first to mention this vendor, FIVE YEARS AGO.
:D Also, Doctor_Jones has one of their hats, though I don't think it's the right one. Not to diminish Redbeards find, but this name's come up a few times in the last few years. Fedora is the first to GET SOMETHING DONE on it though. :tup: K
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Fedora is the first to GET SOMETHING DONE on it though.
:oops: ehhhh yes... exactly...

Regards,

Marc
Redbeard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Redbeard »

I think it's not important, who found Cury. In fact it was this guy on ebay, who actually states, that he will be offrering THE hat done by Cury. Maybe we should get in contact with this guy. And if only as a second option. Since he is german I could do that. Shall I do that?

Cheers,
Redbeard
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

I discussed this topic with ######
Strangely enough, I had mentioned this to Fedora on another forum. I didn't want to here, heh.
I think it's not important, who found Cury.
Exactly, just that someone did and it's really the true supplier. K
DanoSaurus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DanoSaurus »

If anyone's interested, I stopped by Baron Hats in Burbank today to check out their fedoras and also asked about having a body made into a hat. They quoted $140 for a custom hat which includes liner, sweatband and grosgrain, cheaper if I supply my own materials. I'm not sure if they have a good block for a Raiders hat, but they claim to have made hats for at least one of the movies, LC I think. Someone's mentioned them here before.

Anyway I also mentioned I may have a few friends also interested in having raw bodies turned into Indy hats, so maybe we could work out a quantity deal.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Last time I followed up on Barons, talked to Mark the owner, he said they made hats that were in Temple of Doom.

They do have Raider style blocks.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I heard from Cury again today. They wanted to know if I wanted the brim cut to a certain size on the sample. I told them sure, make it 3 inches. Yep, the Cury issue has been around for years. Luger's website included a hat from them as a suitable Indy fedora, along with HJ and some others. Redbeard's post just made me curiouser and curiouser and I decided to just try and find out what Cury said about this supplier thing. I will be able to tell if the felt is similiar as soon as I see the sample. The Raiders fedora was a thinner dress felt as opposed to what I call cowboy felt. The modern HJs that I have seen have been of the cowboy felt variety, along with the PBs and Akubras. Some of the cowboy hats on Cury's website look to be thinner than Stetson cowboy hats, but I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see if the European and U.S. hatters who trained these folks to use the modern equipment taught them how to make dress felt. We will know soon enough. :wink: regards, Fedora
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

If they will cut the brim will they also include a sweatband and a liner if we paid for it? Why not have them do the whole thing? Just curious.

fedoralover
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

They don't sell the Raiders hat. From what I understand, they sell hat bodies, and the line of hats shown at their website. You can buy any flavor that you want, as long as you order 12. :wink: From what I understand, they have rather large color assortment, with different shades of brown, and all of their colors are not shown on their website. Of course you might be able to buy one of their finished models and then have it reblocked. I don't know which one of their models would be the best suited for a reblock, and if it is available in the Raiders felt. I guess I could inquire. :D regards, Fedora
Last edited by Fedora on Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

David wrote:Any chance that Hatsdirect could be involved by importing the felt bodies and building the hat?

They have always been interested in helping us out. Perhaps they would like to be the ones who produce the new "official" Indy fedora using the original felt bodies.

Hmmmm........
I was wondering that too. I really think you're on to something.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Okay...I don't even have a fedora yet ( 2 on Order now) but nonetheless, I am SO in here.

Please keep this (quickly fading) newbie in the loop ! :junior:

Peace
Ken

Who do I pay and who is recommended for the blocking etc. ? I am doubly in if Hatsdirect can block it.
Last edited by JerseyJones on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

you can count this newcomer in too. been searching for a good raiders fedora for years. was very pleased with peter's bros. but would love to see the sample from cury.

rob
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

A few questions:

1. If the felt is still availble why hasn't HJ been using it? Am I right that HJ has been vague about the source for the original felt?

2. How do we know that HJ hasn't been using Cury felt? Perhaps they just don't want to reveal their source. Certainly they know where they get their felt from. What about other hat makers? Are any of them using Cury felt already?
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Well...

Post by Cassidy »

I'm a nobody around here, but have been following the "saga" for years. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that companies in every industry change suppliers over the years, and it stands to reason that HJ probably has switched numerous times. It's just business.

Cassidy
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

original felt?

Post by antiquity collector »

also, by saying the original felt is not available it discourages people from tracking it down and ordering elsewhere. why would you send business away.

maybe they had trouble with cury, either pricing, timeliness or felt availability. who knows why they would have switched.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Can't add anything to these excellent responses. It's all called 'lowest bidder', and Cury didn't make the bid, so HJ went elsewhere. Nothing more than that. Regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Good news and bad news?

Post by Fedora »

The saga continues...... Here is the response that I received from Cury after my initial inquiry. " We do produce fur felthats in all collors, including the the mentioned
> > Brown.
> > Minimum order is a dozen per color end price is US$ 25.00 FOB.
> > For a bigger amounts, we have a special price list.
> > Many thanks for your interest.
> > Chapéus Cury."

Now the plot thickens. When I got back today from my trip, I had this interesting email...... "Hello!

I have read your post regarding Cury Hats with interest. I contacted Cury on my own and was told that their minimum is 25 dozen, not one dozen. The price is not $25 either. The minimum order is about 300 hat bodies, or $4,000.

I am pursuing a relationship with Cury and am awaiting their samples. If their felt is as it is represented by them, then I will produce Indy hats with their felt and offer them to the COW members. I am in the business of producing high qualtiy prop and wardrobe reproductions and will be able to offer a very authentic looking product. I will either have the hats finished by Cury, or by Baron's. Either way, I will probably have them make a custom block since I doubt if they have a perfect "Raiders" block. The ones they do have are more suitable for the hats from the sequels. My main interest is in producing a very exact "Raiders" repro since there are plenty of very nice dress hats with the look of the sequel already available from other sources.

Just thought I would let you know in case you wanted to clarify this with Cury. At any rate, I plan to "step up to the plate" and bring this product to the fans. I might also be able to offer the plain bodies to the COW members in case they want to finish them elsewhere.

Todd"

I am confused. Perhaps I did not understand what Cury wrote to me. It looks to me like the minimum is 1 dozen and the price is 25 bucks each. :roll: Regardless, it looks as if this felt will be available to us, but at a higher price if I have all of this wrong. I am waiting on the sample so at least I will be able to pass it around so you can see if this is what you want before you buy. regards, Fedora
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Hmmm, that is interesting. But if I am looking at the new figures correctly, each hat body should now be about $13. I guess when you order 300 you get a big price break, almost half price. Maybe Todd was quoted for a larger order. :-k Do you know how much Todd will let them go finished?
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Who is this Todd character? Im I wrong or does he sound alot like the #### #######? :?

I J
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Isn't that the guy who used Joe Jr.'s pics and represented them as his own work? Perhaps he is just trying to shine you on, hoping we will pay $250.00 for one of his 'replicas'.
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Oh yeah, that was him...hmmmmm :?
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

I think Todd, Todd's Costumes and Puppetboy are all the same person. K
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Let us not burn our bridges. :wink: If this is "the felt" and we can't buy direct, I would buy a hat from this guy. Yeah, he is in it to make money. Nothing wrong with that. It's the American Way. regards, Fedora
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Didn't mean anything by it. Just trying to figure out who this is. You know how it is when someone shows up out of the blue with "the best thing yet". If he's legit, great, I'd like to get one also. BTW, there's no way he's ######, I could read his email with no problem at all. :P K
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Oops! I didn't realize I was in the gossip and innuendo forum. I thought the topic was hats, not me. If anyone would like to PM me I'd be very glad to correspond with you IN PRIVATE.

Hope you noticed I know how to spell "innuendo".
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wasn't that the name of a singing group back in the 80's? :roll: Well, maybe not... :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Oops! I didn't realize I was in the gossip and innuendo forum. I thought the topic was hats, not me. If anyone would like to PM me I'd be very glad to correspond with you IN PRIVATE.
Nope, it's the fedora forum. This is where like minded people come to discuss Indiana Jones' fedora and the dealers who make reproductions of it. K