Keep Steve's (Fedora) family in your prayers

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thanks Bink. But, it is over now, and I am ready to get busy again. Plus, it helps to stay busy. Oh, yours is the next one, my friend. regards, Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I think I just heard bink faint. :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Yes, Bink, he had to wait for your lime green felt to come in anyway. I hear real Chernobyl beaver is quite luxurious.

Sorry to make light, but sometimes you have to. Doing something to occupy your mind, whether it making fedoras or some other enjoyable task, is often a good way to go.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I want to end this thread with a pic of me and my father in law, the ultimate gentleman, from the greatest generation. He was stationed in Sudbury England during WW2 and was a crew chief on a B-17 bomber who flew missions over Germany the last year of the conflict. I have loads of pics of the crew and the B-17 that I am about to go through when I get time. He would regale me with tales of the war, the happy moments, the English culture and people he met, and the tragedies of the war. The sound of V1s and V2s headed for London, that would fly over the base. Tales of being strafed my German pilots as they were working on the bombers. And the joyful ride home aboard the Queen Mary, filled with standing room only for the troops. That is why I must see the QM. He was on it. Everyone loved this man, as he was a true gentle soul, and gentleman of the old school. I can honestly say, I have never met a finer man in my whole life. They don't make em' like him anymore. He will be missed not my just his family, but by hundreds of people that he taught as a public school teacher for over 60 years. He was principal of the school that I graduated from, for many years, and was elected as the Superintendent of the County schools here in my home state. He ran many times, was always re-elected and retired from this job, after being in that office for 20 years. He was in office during the school intergration that took place in the South in 1969-1970. No one could have eased us into that any better than Mr. Hatcher. He was loved and repected by all teachers, black and white, as he was truly color blind. He will be missed.

Go to this site, and then click on "get original photo" at the bottom to really get a good look. http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/fed ... leman.html

I would appreciate any prayers you guys can say in our behalf, especially my wife, who is a wreck. Her dad was her life, and no daughter could have love a father more. We were his caregivers for the last two years, as we refused to put him in a nursing home. He died in my arms Sunday morning, as I was assisting him in getting a shower, as he had an appointment the following day with his Dr. in Birmingham. He died just the way he lived, very gently, and peaceful. He never had a bad word to say about anyone, at any time. He was my idol, my friend, and my father. He was the greatest man I have ever known. Fedora
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

"Sleep after toile, port after stormie seas,
Ease after warre, death after life, does greatly please."(Edmund Spencer)
It's the epitaph on the grave of Joseph Conrad (1857-1924).
Regards
Anjali
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Your father-in-law was quite the man, my friend. I would be honored to have him as part of my family. You, your wife, and your family will stay in my prayers, Steve. And, as you stated above, if you wish to end this thread on that note, then perhaps the mods could be so kind as to bring this thread to a close, as well.

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

He will never be forgotten, as his spirit lives on because of the way he touched the ones he came in contact with. He is now at peace. Our prayers will continue to be with you and your family. High regards. Michaelson
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Very eloquently stated Steve.

Your story prompted me to recall my own grandfather since he was also coincidently a crew chief on a B-17; however, he never talked about the war with me, at least that I can recall. I only know what I know of that side of him through viewing old b&w photographs of him and his crew or buddies, various service papers and letters, and some military items he had stored away in the attic; blouse and insignia, hat, coveralls, various metal ammo boxes with various tools and miscellaneous items, and an old, non-military leather jacket (very cracked and crumbled now beyond restoration I’m afraid) he must have been fond of since I have seen photos of him wearing it posing on horseback (alone, and with his brothers and sisters) on their farm looking very much like a young John Wayne to me I recall with what looks to be an old Ford(?) just slightly out of focus in the distance parked on a dirt road alongside a fence. I only wish I had known him better, but unfortunately never got the chance. I’m only left with bits & pieces and the recollections of relatives, and his friends. I’m told he’s father served in WWI and was badly wounded and spent the rest of his life in a VA hospital leaving him the farm when he was very young. I suppose it’s an unshakable longing to know more about those family members that as a youngster we barely knew, or never got to know. You were at least fortunate enough to have known your father-in-law and old enough to grasp the significance of the principals by which he lived by and pass along the stories and memories of him that you’ll never forget. It sounds to me that you are quite correct when you state in referring to your father-in-law that “they don't make em' like him anymore” and most importantly to him (I can only imagine) is that you and your wife we’re able to express you’re love for him by taking care of him and that he was surrounded by his friends and family.

Please accept my belated condolences to you and your wife.
Sheffield Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sheffield Jones »

Steve,
Please accept my belated condolences to you and your wife,In the last two months my wife lost her Grand-father,and I lost my Grand-father so you have my prayers in this hard time.
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

Steve and family,

As I've been out of the loop for awhile, I was shocked and saddened to hear of this news. Please accept my deepest sympathies. Sure sounds like a great guy.

Robert
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Fedora wrote:I want to end this thread with a pic of me and my father in law, the ultimate gentleman, from the greatest generation. He was stationed in Sudbury England during WW2 and was a crew chief on a B-17 bomber who flew missions over Germany the last year of the conflict. I have loads of pics of the crew and the B-17 that I am about to go through when I get time. He would regale me with tales of the war, the happy moments, the English culture and people he met, and the tragedies of the war. The sound of V1s and V2s headed for London, that would fly over the base. Tales of being strafed my German pilots as they were working on the bombers. And the joyful ride home aboard the Queen Mary, filled with standing room only for the troops. That is why I must see the QM. He was on it. Everyone loved this man, as he was a true gentle soul, and gentleman of the old school. I can honestly say, I have never met a finer man in my whole life. They don't make em' like him anymore. He will be missed not my just his family, but by hundreds of people that he taught as a public school teacher for over 60 years. He was principal of the school that I graduated from, for many years, and was elected as the Superintendent of the County schools here in my home state. He ran many times, was always re-elected and retired from this job, after being in that office for 20 years. He was in office during the school intergration that took place in the South in 1969-1970. No one could have eased us into that any better than Mr. Hatcher. He was loved and repected by all teachers, black and white, as he was truly color blind. He will be missed.

Go to this site, and then click on "get original photo" at the bottom to really get a good look. http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/fed ... leman.html

I would appreciate any prayers you guys can say in our behalf, especially my wife, who is a wreck. Her dad was her life, and no daughter could have love a father more. We were his caregivers for the last two years, as we refused to put him in a nursing home. He died in my arms Sunday morning, as I was assisting him in getting a shower, as he had an appointment the following day with his Dr. in Birmingham. He died just the way he lived, very gently, and peaceful. He never had a bad word to say about anyone, at any time. He was my idol, my friend, and my father. He was the greatest man I have ever known. Fedora
Steve, to you and yours, again my heartfelt condolences. May the angels welcome one of their own with joy and God bless you all with peace and continuing love.

With the utmost respect and regard,

Ken