Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Peters Brothers custom fedora thread....

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Picked up my black Raiders from PB on Wednesday.....western conversion. Pictures don't do it justice.

From this:

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:shock:

WOW!

Simply outstanding!
:clap:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The folks at Peter's Bros are just plain fantastic, aren't they? :clap:

But then, they've been doing that kind of work since 1917, so I guess they should be by now. :-k

;)

BEAUTIFUL fedora!

Regards! Michaelson
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Michaelson,

Can you send some pics of the hat you found in your closet? Just wanted to see some more PB.

Matt
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Found? :-k I knew it was there. :lol:

I'll have to wait until my youngest daughter comes back with a digital camera to post anything.

I'll try and get something up this week, but no promises. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Mitch and Michaelson,

Thanks. PB is my favorite place to go in Fort Worth. I have another on the way in gray.....and a bone western to drop off. They are amazing. 8)
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I am not particulary fond of black hats, for the most part, but this one could change my mind in a heartbeat! That is one of the most increadible looking hats I have ever seen! Congrats to you and PB -- they always come through! W>
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

WConly wrote:I am not particulary fond of black hats, for the most part, but this one could change my mind in a heartbeat! That is one of the most increadible looking hats I have ever seen! Congrats to you and PB -- they always come through! W>
Thanks! I bought the black Resistol to wear to a Garth Brooks concert. It has been in my closet for years (at least 12) and has seldom seen the light (Ft. Worth Stock Show and Rodeo a couple of times). Conversion has given it new life.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

getoutofthelibrary wrote:
WConly wrote:I am not particulary fond of black hats, for the most part, but this one could change my mind in a heartbeat! That is one of the most increadible looking hats I have ever seen! Congrats to you and PB -- they always come through! W>
Thanks! I bought the black Resistol to wear to a Garth Brooks concert. It has been in my closet for years (at least 12) and has seldom seen the light (Ft. Worth Stock Show and Rodeo a couple of times). Conversion has given it new life.

Well in that case double congrats are in order! Here is to another 12 yrs and beyond \:D/ ! W>
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Picked up my gray Raiders from PB today.....Not quite the Clipper, but close enough for me.

My wife's new favorite.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Nice topper :tup: ! Super looking hat. W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And now for something completely different...

I wear cowboys boots on a semi-regular basis. I also wear fedoras daily. I get plenty of 'nice cowboy hat' comments while wearing my fedoras, to which I always reply, "thank you' and leave things at that. The cowboy comments definitely increase on the days I wear my boots and I understand why that would be.

Well, I was wanting to A. get a lid that was a more bona fide cowboy hat and B. if I was going to do that, it was going to as part of putting together a Man With No Name costume. I looked around online for hats for a while and then in a moment of 'duh' realized I had a hatmaker right in front of me.

Called Peters Brothers and had a very pleasant conversation. Was told at the time they had a 12 week turn around, but it could be as little as 9 since they didn't have too many orders in the pipeline at the moment. That was going to be very tight for Halloween, but so be it, I should have ordered earlier. Well, in just over a month I had my new lid in hand!

Telescope crown with a 3 1/2 inch flat brim all around. Fit perfect right out of the box, but man is it stiff. I think I could use it for a spare tire if needed. I put a slight pinch in the front and decided to let the brim do it's own thing over time. I wear it at least once a week and the brim is already starting to develop some nice character. I do keep banging the brim into things (especially getting in and out of the car), even from wearing fedoras, I'm not used to the added width of my head.

Came with a matching ribbon with really nice bow work. I've since ordered a leather band to better match the band from the movies. I'll be moving this ribbon to a straw hat I have.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Kinda reminds me of Back to the Future III... Marty's get-up.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

NICE!
:D :tup:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Indiana Jeff wrote:And now for something completely different...

I wear cowboys boots on a semi-regular basis. I also wear fedoras daily. I get plenty of 'nice cowboy hat' comments while wearing my fedoras, to which I always reply, "thank you' and leave things at that. The cowboy comments definitely increase on the days I wear my boots and I understand why that would be.

Well, I was wanting to A. get a lid that was a more bona fide cowboy hat and B. if I was going to do that, it was going to as part of putting together a Man With No Name costume. I looked around online for hats for a while and then in a moment of 'duh' realized I had a hatmaker right in front of me.

Called Peters Brothers and had a very pleasant conversation. Was told at the time they had a 12 week turn around, but it could be as little as 9 since they didn't have too many orders in the pipeline at the moment. That was going to be very tight for Halloween, but so be it, I should have ordered earlier. Well, in just over a month I had my new lid in hand!

Telescope crown with a 3 1/2 inch flat brim all around. Fit perfect right out of the box, but man is it stiff. I think I could use it for a spare tire if needed. I put a slight pinch in the front and decided to let the brim do it's own thing over time. I wear it at least once a week and the brim is already starting to develop some nice character. I do keep banging the brim into things (especially getting in and out of the car), even from wearing fedoras, I'm not used to the added width of my head.

Came with a matching ribbon with really nice bow work. I've since ordered a leather band to better match the band from the movies. I'll be moving this ribbon to a straw hat I have.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
That really looks good on you! What did you say your name is, again ? :rolling: I don't think I could pulll that look off, but it is great on you! Nice hat! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks, guys. It certainly wouldn't pass muster at manwithnonamegear.com but fits the bill nicely for me. And just when I got used to wearing 'large' fedoras, I go and get a hat that's even bigger!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

I'm happy to say that I can now join the proud numbers of Peters Brothers owners--my birthday gift just arrived today:

This Raiders-style straw fedora is even better than I had expected: the untaperd block, the turn (which I wasn't expecting) giving it the brim a great-looking warp, a great dark brown ribbon (not as dark as the AB, but this complements the straw very well). 8) I tried wearing it outside this evening, and immediately noticed a very cool breeze blowing through the crown. This hat will be great for hot California summers, work on the family farm in Nebraska, and most importantly for excavating. :D

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

Hi Nebraska that Peters' Brothers straw hat looks amazing! I was thinking about getting one of these. Can you tell me is it lined? and does it have a leather sweat band? I had a Peters Brothers Indy Fedora a while back and loved it. Great Quality.

cheers

stones
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They are not lined, and they do have a leather sweat band.

GREAT looking example, NB! :clap:

As I told you by PM, I was kind of sad to put mine away for the season, as it was my 'go-to-hat' all summer this year. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Thanks, Stones and Michaelson. :TOH: As :M: mentioned, there's no liner in it, but instead there is a red Peters Brothers label on the inside top of the crown. This will be perfect for letting in a cooling breeze while keeping the sun off your face during the summer. The sweatband is very comfortable black leather. I'll try to get an inside photo posted next week.

Nebraska Schulte
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Wow, I really like the look of that.
:D
Congrats on a great new addition to your collection, Nebraska!
:) :tup:
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:It was a nice sunny day today, so I tried a couple of cellphone shots. My (badly in need of cleaning and re-blocking) PB.

I had wanted to say this when I had posted originally, but I guess I forgot:

Those glasses you have on are perhaps one of the best matches for a fedora that I have ever seen. In other words, if I had to wear distance glasses full time, I'd want to wear that style. This is not to say that there aren't other glasses that look good with fedoras, but yours would be my first choice. Where did you get them? Do you know the brand and/or style number?
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Nebraska, that is a mighty fine hat. :clap:

I've wanted one for awhile but have been worried that the crown would be too high for my taste but yours looks perfect. How tall is the crown on it?

:TOH:
-TS
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

It is awesome! Can you check the brim dimensions too, if you don't mind? :TOH:
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Jeez o' Petes, the Peter's Brothers website is probably the must user UNfriendly site I have ever seen. Where can I find custom straw Indy-style hats on there? I want one just like Nebraska's up there. Are they really $150 like the site insinuates? All I can find are teardrop lids. :oops:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

It is a little difficult...
http://www.pbhats.com/private/INDY_CUSTOM/Default.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bout 3/4 the way down... :TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Whenever I've browsed their website, I've thought to myself, "1996 just called. It wants its website back."
Dr. Nebraska S.

Just got back from presenting a paper at a conference, so apologies for the delayed response. Mitch, T.S., Travis, and Arch--thanks for the compliments, gents! :TOH: Mr. Joe Peters certainly makes a great looking hat. It'll be a bit 'til I can take some measurements of the dimensions. I will say that the crown height is about the same or perhaps slightly taller than the crown on my AB CS (which has the shorter crown of the jungle "drysand pit") but shorter than my gray Penman CS train traveler hat.
Arch Stanton wrote:...Are they really $150 like the site insinuates?

Arch--yes, the Indy straw hat is only $150 (plus I think $20 for shipping in the U.S.).

Nebraska Schulte
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Does anyone know if the PB Straws are natural straw or Shangtung?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I believe they are Milan straw.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Hollowpond wrote:I believe they are Milan straw.
I believe you're right. It says on my receipt at home--I'll check soon. :TOH:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Well, "Milan" is the weave, not the material, as is my understanding at least.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Looks like they use hemp. Here's the info I could find:
http://www.pbhats.com/private/MILAN%20STRAW/Default.htm
PETERS BROS

CUSTOM MADE MILAN STRAW

THESE HATS ARE MADE OF HEMP A VERY STRONG
NATURAL FIBER THAT IS A RENEWABLE RESOURCE.
WE GET THEM IN AS ROUGH BODIES AND BLOCK,
FLANGE, SHAPE, STIFFEN, INSTALL TIP LOGO, ROAN
LEATHER SWEAT BAND AND OUTSIDE BAND.

THEY CAN BE MADE IN ALMOST ANY STYLE. FROM
1" TO 2 7/8" BRIM (DIMENTIONAL BRIM NOT AVAIABLE)
AND AND UP TO 5" FINISHED CROWN HEIGHT
(MEASURED AT THE FRONT OF THE SHAPED HAT).

THERE ARE 8 COLORS. NATURAL STRAW, BLEACH,
WHITE, BLACK, INDY BROWN, DARK BROWN, LODEN
GREEN AND SILVER GRAY.

STIFFNER IS LIGHT, MEDIUM OR HEAVY YOUR CHOICE.
Hope this helps!

Nebraska Schulte

P.S. I don't know much about the various straws, so I'm not sure how reliable the following site is; but if accurate, it looks like some good information:
http://www.hathistory.org/western/straw.html
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Thanks Nebraska. I couldn't quite tell by looking at it, because it seems to have a nice sheen on it, which would denote more of a Shangtung material, but the coloration looked uneven (not uneven in a bad way, uneven in a natural way), so it threw me for a loop. In any event, it's quite a handsome lid.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Tennessee Smith wrote:Nebraska, that is a mighty fine hat. :clap:

I've wanted one for awhile but have been worried that the crown would be too high for my taste but yours looks perfect. How tall is the crown on it?

:TOH:
-TS
Hollowpond wrote:It is awesome! Can you check the brim dimensions too, if you don't mind? :TOH:
Just happened to walk past the measuring tape this morning, so finally remembered to do this. This isn't the greatest tape measure, but hope it helps:

Hat size: 23 5/8 inches

Crown height at front (creased): 4 5/8 inches

brim: 3 inches

Nebraska Schulte
ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ded-ty-wog-cip-ein-hyi-ke »

Indiana Bugs wrote:
Long John Tinfoil wrote:Those glasses you have on are perhaps one of the best matches for a fedora that I have ever seen. In other words, if I had to wear distance glasses full time, I'd want to wear that style. This is not to say that there aren't other glasses that look good with fedoras, but yours would be my first choice. Where did you get them? Do you know the brand and/or style number?
From what I can see of them, they look like wire-framed P3 (or P-3, or panto) eyeglasses. The P3 shape goes back a century or so. Most manufacturers have their version, and they can be wire-framed or zyl (plastic/fake tortoiseshell).

P3 frames go in and out of style, and have many associations. They were standard-issue U.S. military frames at one point, they were on the list of standard frames you could get for free under the British NHS system, and so on. Here's a page that associates them with the preppy look:

http://www.ivy-style.com/specs-appeal-p ... #####.html

I wear them in their Anglo American Optical style 406 incarnation (a zyl version). AA sells them in four sizes, 19 colors. You need to know your PD (pupillary distance) to choose the size, but otherwise you can order online and get the lenses made locally. Size is: bridge width plus lens width should equal to or greater than your PD.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I don't normally like straw hats, but I'm mighty impressed by Nebraska's. PB also did a great job on the black cowboy conversion!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

An update on my MWNN hat, I got a leather band made for it, though not by the fine people at Peters Brothers.

More directly PB related, I just placed an order for a straw Indy. Though I went with Natural color rather than the Indy Brown.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:An update on my MWNN hat, I got a leather band made for it, though not by the fine people at Peters Brothers.

More directly PB related, I just placed an order for a straw Indy. Though I went with Natural color rather than the Indy Brown.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hey Jeff- do you have any pics of the vest without the poncho?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sure do. Posted right here. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Joe and the boys made this:

out of this:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

WOW! Way to give new life to an old cowboy hat! :clap:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Indeed.
VERY nice results!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Cool stuff. I live in Texas, and I might be heading up to Fort Worth soon, so I'll be paying them a visit.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Be sure to tell them you're a member of Indygear.

Joe has had a LONG friendship/relationship with this site over the years, and knows quite a few of us personally.

Regards! Michaelson
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Good to know. :TOH:
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

Wow! Getoutofthelibrary what a transformation! The fedora looks great. What crease have you put in the hat?
I have a vintage Stetson that I have posted before which looks very similar to yours in terms of felt colour and bash.

stones :clap:
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

stones wrote:Wow! Getoutofthelibrary what a transformation! The fedora looks great. What crease have you put in the hat?
I have a vintage Stetson that I have posted before which looks very similar to yours in terms of felt colour and bash.

stones :clap:
I have all mine done with a Raiders crease.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Just got back from Fort Worth, where I visited Peters Brothers and met Joe Peters himself. Gotta say, he is a really nice, gracious guy. He gave me a tour of the shop and showed me the original equipment they're still using. I even got a tour of his photo wall with some of his famous customers (including Michaelson!). He was very happy to chat, especially when I mentioned Indy Gear and the Fedora Lounge.

My only disappointment was that he did not have enough samples in my size. I didn't realize it was strictly a custom operation. The other brands listed on the website are products he will order for customers, not necessarily anything kept in stock. I am very tempted to order a hat from him though. Maybe a small version of an Indy hat to fit my skinny head! If you are in the area, it was worth stopping by just to meet Joe.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:clap:

The place has a fantastic sense of history, doesn't it? It should, considering it's been a hat shop in that same family since 1917.

Glad you caught Joe there. He's good people. I still miss his wife Nelda. She was a great lady. :(

Regards! Michaelson