Todd's Holster fit?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Todd's Holster fit?

Post by Western New York Indy »

Hello fellow Indy Gear enthusiasts!

I recently acquired a Todd's Costumes holster from another member here. I absolutely love it and I am very happy to finally have a Todd's holster in my collection. The only "gun" I have currently is a 3D printed replica of the Raiders Bapty. It fits in the holster fine, although I have a feeling that the 3D printed gun is a tiny bit bigger than the real deal (or is a bit bigger due to the many layers of paint I applied to it) as it is quite a snug fit. It takes quite a bit of manhandling to slide it in and out. My question is whether the holster will conform to my pistol's shape over time and make it easier to slide in and out, or whether it's an actual size issue.

I have also been looking at the HFC airsoft pistol that I have seen many Indy cosplayers carrying, does anyone know if this will fit better? I'd like to have a pistol that can easily fit in my holster. Like I said, the fit now is fine for a holster filler prop, but not great if I actually want to be able to pull my 3D printed gun out of the holster.

-WNY Indy
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Todd's Holster fit?

Post by Tremolo »

When I got my Todd holster I used warm water to mould it to the shape of my resin revolver replica. I think that really helped with the overall look and fit.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I have a Todd’s holster with a Stembridge resin replica and it fits fine. The Bapty should fit similarly so I suspect the 3D print might be slightly oversized.

I too wet molded my holster. I soaked it in warm water until the leather was feeling subtle and then put my gun in and molded it with my fingers, then left it to dry. I wanted an impression of the revolver, not a detailed molding.

The HFC guns are a smaller frame revolver so fit more loosely, but are a great option if you can fine one.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Western New York Indy »

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen! I've used some water and worked with wet molding the holster a bit. Since it's no a brand new holster (I believe it's from somewhere around 2007 or so) it's already got some nice subtle distressing. With a bit of wet molding it's looking pretty good. The gun is still not wanting to go in or out easily, so I think it may be an issue with the size of the print.

One other question, should I be applying Pecard's or other leather dressings to maintain this holster or are they more low maintenance?
Thanks!

-WNY Indy
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I applied Pecard to mine after I wet molded it. I figures it’s generally good practice to hit leather with some dressing after it’s been soaked.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff