Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular Whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular Whips

Post by Western New York Indy »

Hello fellow Indy enthusiasts!

Disney just posted a video highlighting the props crew chief from the Indy stunt show at Hollywood studios. There is some great close up footage of the whips used in the show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezP9hjxQkNA

When I was at Hollywood Studios last, I asked one of the Indy cast members about the whips. He informed me that they used whips by both Trinity Whip Co. and David Morgan. I was aware that they used whips by Blake Bruning in the show, but didn't know about the Morgan whips. He also told me that some of the whips were 12 feet long, though I suspect he was counting the fall, as to me the whips used in the show look to be 10 footers. But I could be wrong. Anyways, I thought I'd share this video as it has some great footage of some very nice Indy style whips.

If anybody has more info about these whips, please let me know- I always love learning more about the props from the show. This show is the reason why I'm such an Indy enthusiast. I was watching it long before I even saw the movies.

-WNY Indy :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular Whips

Post by bearbeast »

Very nice, thanks for sharing! I really liked the darkened one. :shock:

Cheers,
Bear
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Throughout the years they used whips from many makers also including Paul Nolan of Midwest whips and Joe Strain.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks for posting, fun to watch. I've always enjoyed that show. :TOH:
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

bearbeast wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:04 am Very nice, thanks for sharing! I really liked the darkened one. :shock:

Cheers,
Bear
Same here, that darkened one gives me Anthony De Longis vibes haha. It kinda looks similar in color to the Crystal Skull or Dial of Destiny whip to me, I could be wrong though.

Those are some very nice looking "Backups-" I wonder how often they have to pull out one of the back ups- and how many times a stunt actor has gotten nailed in the face with a popper seeing as how it flew right off in the video :-k
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

IJJTM wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:47 pm Throughout the years they used whips from many makers also including Paul Nolan of Midwest whips and Joe Strain.
Really? Great to know! I only knew about the Blake Bruning whips, so thanks for the info. It seems like one of the few pieces of gear they really nailed for this show is the whips. They certainly didn't go the cheap route with them. It's good to know that they've used whips from such reputable whip makers through the years.
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

IndianaJustin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:15 pm Thanks for posting, fun to watch. I've always enjoyed that show. :TOH:
Glad you enjoyed it :TOH: I've always liked that show as well, like I said in the original post I was watching it long before I even saw the movies. It inspired my first "Indy outfit" when I was maybe 6 or so, which consisted of a brown cowboy hat, a white dress shirt, jeans, and a whip made from a piece of plastic tubing with a chopstick inserted into the end. I spent many a happy hour running from a yoga ball in my "gear." (Didn't have a giant boulder laying around, unfortunately.) Hopefully the show will continue for years to come and inspire future generations.
indianajohn007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianajohn007 »

I’m hoping I get to see this show one of these days.