Making the Body of the Jacket Slimmer - Alterations

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Making the Body of the Jacket Slimmer - Alterations

Post by Prodigal Son »

Have any of you had any luck getting your jacket taken-in? What I mean is, have any of you had any success with getting the body of your jacket altered for a slimmer fit? I've seen chatter on this over the years and most people who've mentioned this said they didn't have much luck. I'm wondering if the area that can be taken in is that strip in the mid-section, where it is connected to the action pleat. Any thoughts? Any experiences?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Making the Body of the Jacket Slimmer - Alterations

Post by Charybdis »

Well, it might just be best to sell it and get another one.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

I don't want to get rid of it. I really like the jacket and have been wearing it for years. It looks great with all of its natural distressing. The liner is finally going, too. It just ripped at the left corner of the inside pocket from carrying my cell phone in it. My only qualm is the excess room. So, I started this thread to see if anybody has had success with getting their jacket taken-in.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. Typically a garment would be be taken in through the torso by adding darts. That's not going to work with leather and not on an Indy jacket. Making any other changes to the torso/body of the jacket at the action pleats would impact how the shoulder and sleeves attach. Essentially you'd be disassembling and making a new jacket. Even if this were possible, the cost would likely be more than a new custom jacket.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Yeah, it doesn’t sound too promising. The only idea I can come up with involves reattaching the strap at the front and bringing in the seem there, but it would leave a shape more fitting to a woman’s curvature at the ribs and waist.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

I did ignore every warning I got on doing that to my 90's wested lamb. The jacket was ruined afterwards.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Yeah, it does seem like it'd be a nightmare, really.