Question about the Fed IV

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Question about the Fed IV

Post by Western New York Indy »

Hello everyone!

I'm newer to Club Obi Wan (been reading for a while, never posted before) but had a question that I thought someone here would be able to answer. I'm going to be traveling in Europe this summer, and I want to wear an Indy style Fedora. Since I'll be traversing much of the same area Indy traveled in The Last Crusade, I specifically wanted to wear a LC style hat. I'm very familiar with shaping hats (and I've made one myself in 100% Rabbit.) but wanted to know if the Fed IV is a good option for a durable travel hat, as well as a good option for a generally screen accurate LC shaping. I'm very familiar with the nuances and quirks of each movie's hat, I just want to know whether anyone has experienced success with bashing a fed IV into a LC style or if there is another hat you would recommend for a similar price.
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Question about the Fed IV

Post by Iandiana Jones »

From what I gather, as I'm yet to own one though I'm on the list, the Fed IV is a tank of a hat. The unstoppable force and the immovable object.

Good luck getting a brown one. They seem to be perpetually sold out (can't imagine why :-k ;) )
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yes, Fed IVs have been bashed in the LC style successfully. And they are well made, durable hats.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Iandiana Jones wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:54 pm From what I gather, as I'm yet to own one though I'm on the list, the Fed IV is a tank of a hat. The unstoppable force and the immovable object.

Good luck getting a brown one. They seem to be perpetually sold out (can't imagine why :-k ;) )

Thanks for replying! A tank of a hat is just what I'm looking for, so seems like it'd work well. I'll have to keep my eye on the order page to see when or if the brown hats come back in stock.
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Jeff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:13 pm Yes, Fed IVs have been bashed in the LC style successfully. And they are well made, durable hats.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks for the reply! Great to know that an LC bash has been done before on a Fed IV. They definitely seem to be one of the most well made factory/non bespoke hats, from the perspective of someone like me who's seen a number of them "in the wild" but not owned one yet.
alaska_mcghee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by alaska_mcghee »

Western New York Indy wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm newer to Club Obi Wan (been reading for a while, never posted before) but had a question that I thought someone here would be able to answer. I'm going to be traveling in Europe this summer, and I want to wear an Indy style Fedora. Since I'll be traversing much of the same area Indy traveled in The Last Crusade, I specifically wanted to wear a LC style hat. I'm very familiar with shaping hats (and I've made one myself in 100% Rabbit.) but wanted to know if the Fed IV is a good option for a durable travel hat, as well as a good option for a generally screen accurate LC shaping. I'm very familiar with the nuances and quirks of each movie's hat, I just want to know whether anyone has experienced success with bashing a fed IV into a LC style or if there is another hat you would recommend for a similar price.
Not sure about the new offerings but my federation Deluxe is 19 years old now and has been my foul weather hat going through rain, snow, sun and everything in between. It’s in need of a service now but if you don’t mind a floppy hat it’s still good to go. I know the Federation IV is based off of the crystal Skull hat with a narrower brim than mine. But as an actual every day hat that can take a beating it’s really good. Image
Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Here are a few shots of my Fed IV, bashed in the LC style. I have no experience shaping hats, so I paid a little more for their new(ish) shaping service and specified LC. In retrospect, I probably could've gotten it a little closer to screen accurate if I shaped in myself. They went a little crazy on the side dents and the pinch could be a little tighter. I bought it specifically to do my own adventuring and not as a costume piece (although I did use it for my MOTB prototype below), so I'm happy enough with it the way it is. I may reshape it after it withstands a good rain. I've only had it for about 10 months and a few outdoor trips, but I'm pretty sure this thing can handle anything you throw at it. They are built to last.

Anyway, to answer your question; the Fed IV can absolutely be bashed in the LC style.

Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

alaska_mcghee wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 pm
Not sure about the new offerings but my federation Deluxe is 19 years old now and has been my foul weather hat going through rain, snow, sun and everything in between. It’s in need of a service now but if you don’t mind a floppy hat it’s still good to go. I know the Federation IV is based off of the crystal Skull hat with a narrower brim than mine. But as an actual every day hat that can take a beating it’s really good. Image
Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That hat looks great!! Good to hear another affirmation that the Feds can be put through the ringer and still hold up!
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Jon wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 am Here are a few shots of my Fed IV, bashed in the LC style. I have no experience shaping hats, so I paid a little more for their new(ish) shaping service and specified LC. In retrospect, I probably could've gotten it a little closer to screen accurate if I shaped in myself. They went a little crazy on the side dents and the pinch could be a little tighter. I bought it specifically to do my own adventuring and not as a costume piece (although I did use it for my MOTB prototype below), so I'm happy enough with it the way it is. I may reshape it after it withstands a good rain. I've only had it for about 10 months and a few outdoor trips, but I'm pretty sure this thing can handle anything you throw at it. They are built to last.

Anyway, to answer your question; the Fed IV can absolutely be bashed in the LC style.

Love the pictures!!
That bash looks really nice regardless, and I bet it’ll only get better with years and mileage! :TOH: can I ask what approximately the crown height is?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Very nice pics, Indiana Jon, really great MotB gear. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Western New York Indy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 pm Love the pictures!!
That bash looks really nice regardless, and I bet it’ll only get better with years and mileage! :TOH: can I ask what approximately the crown height is?
Thanks for the kind words. :TOH:

Feds are 5.5" open crown. The crown height on mine is 4.5", which obviously plays a part in the nitpicks I mentioned above.

Just to clarify, I am not criticizing the fine folks doing the shaping at The Hattery. They advertise a standard 30's shape and that's exactly what I got. My regret over the shaping service has less to do with their work and more to do with the fact that I wish I'd had the gumption to attempt the shaping myself. That being said, I kinda like the idea of starting with a standard 30's shape and making it my own over time. That is, after all, the implication behind the shape of Indy's fedora. Since I bought this strictly for my own outdoor excursions and not for screen accuracy, I'm happy to let it take on a shape all its own.

I'm very fond of my Fed IV. I wear it more often that either of my Harrisons and I can't recommend it highly enough. I think every Indy fan should have one, especially if you love the outdoors as much as I do. They are built for adventure. :TOH:
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Jon wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:50 am
Western New York Indy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 pm Love the pictures!!
Thanks for the kind words. :TOH:

Feds are 5.5" open crown. The crown height on mine is 4.5", which obviously plays a part in the nitpicks I mentioned above.

Just to clarify, I am not criticizing the fine folks doing the shaping at The Hattery. They advertise a standard 30's shape and that's exactly what I got. My regret over the shaping service has less to do with their work and more to do with the fact that I wish I'd had the gumption to attempt the shaping myself. That being said, I kinda like the idea of starting with a standard 30's shape and making it my own over time. That is, after all, the implication behind the shape of Indy's fedora. Since I bought this strictly for my own outdoor excursions and not for screen accuracy, I'm happy to let it take on a shape all its own.

I'm very fond of my Fed IV. I wear it more often that either of my Harrisons and I can't recommend it highly enough. I think every Indy fan should have one, especially if you love the outdoors as much as I do. They are built for adventure. :TOH:
Thanks for the info!! I wanted to know the crown height since I find that I have a weirdly tall head- When the crown on a hat is too short, I can't properly bash it without it resting really high on my head. So good to know that the Fed IV has an OC height similar to other offerings.

I'm sure that over time, you'll end up with exactly what you're looking for in the shaping of the hat. And if you buy another OC hat that you want to bash yourself, I bet you'll do a great job. It just takes a bit of finesse and working with it slowly. I made myself a hat a few months ago and I'm still working on perfecting the shape haha!

I'm really hoping I'll be able to pick up a Fed IV soon. I've heard so many great things about them and I can't wait to have one in my collection.