Accurate Raiders of the Lost Ark whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Kyarklover
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Accurate Raiders of the Lost Ark whip

Post by Kyarklover »

I know vendors come and go some people retire Etc so I'm trying to get just one total complete costume to currently what is available for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now I know there's a lot of whip makers out there and I'm not saying who's the best because that once again is all and someone's opinion however with that being said who is making lips currently that is the closest to screen accurate on what was seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark with all the little small characteristics that it has? I've heard that Paul Nolan's 1936 is extremely close and currently there is a Joe strain whip on sale on eBay that I heard was extremely close as well just wanted the experts on here and their opinion
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Accurate Raiders of the Lost Ark whip

Post by IJJTM »

If you want the absolute closest thing to what Ford used in the first film, go for Paul Nolan’s 1936 Indy. If you want something that is dead on accurate looks-wise, but with a more refined handling, Del Carpio. But, both of them have long wait times. Joe Strain makes excellent whips, I wouldn’t say he’s 100% accurate, but no one will tell you off for using one of his fantastic products.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I dunno, that Strain whip on eBay looks amazing and right on. It's a good price for a 10 footer and is ready now :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Be sure to check out the updated vendor list on the main Indy Gear site.

https://indygear.com/indygear-vendors/

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kyarklover
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kyarklover »

I greatly appreciate all the information I was leaning toward the 1936 model however at the same time I'm kind of like what you said Justin LOL the one on eBay does look good and is currently available with no wait time wish I had the money I would buy both LOL
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Kyarklover wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:43 pm I greatly appreciate all the information I was leaning toward the 1936 model however at the same time I'm kind of like what you said Justin LOL the one on eBay does look good and is currently available with no wait time wish I had the money I would buy both LOL
So I have a Strain 28th anniversary version at 9 ft and a Nolan 1936 at 8ft and I love them both. The 1936 is made more rough and tumble with wide laces like the original bui it cracks like a dream. The Strain is exquisite, so wonderfully plaited and even after more than 2 years of owning it is still being broken in. I really don’t think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions but to own a Strain at that price…that’s what I’d do.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

FYI this is directly from Joe's website.
Ordering Whips

We are no longer accepting orders for whips through the website. Any whips available will be listed for sale on the In-Stock page.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kyarklover
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kyarklover »

IndianaJustin wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:40 pm
Kyarklover wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:43 pm I greatly appreciate all the information I was leaning toward the 1936 model however at the same time I'm kind of like what you said Justin LOL the one on eBay does look good and is currently available with no wait time wish I had the money I would buy both LOL
So I have a Strain 28th anniversary version at 9 ft and a Nolan 1936 at 8ft and I love them both. The 1936 is made more rough and tumble with wide laces like the original bui it cracks like a dream. The Strain is exquisite, so wonderfully plaited and even after more than 2 years of owning it is still being broken in. I really don’t think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions but to own a Strain at that price…that’s what I’d do.
Well I have a feeling before it's all said and done I'll end up having at least two whips LOL
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I think the great choices have already been mentioned. Whichever you do get, come back with photos. This section is poor in posts. :(

Cheers,
Bear
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I had Paul Nolan's 1936 whip, now I have Del Carpio's Raiders one and I like it better. 1936 was kinda stiff. Del Carpio's bullwhip handles like a dream. But it may be just my personal taste.