I'm going to Have My Hand Ejector Modified, Suggestions ??

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I'm going to Have My Hand Ejector Modified, Suggestions ??

Post by micsteam »

Hey guys, I'm throwing the towel in and going to have my WWI hand ejector cut down to 4" and have the sight modified to match the Bapty ( ramp sight) any suggestions ?? Also where can I get the sight ?? Thanks :TOH:
Cajunkraut

Re: I'm going to Have My Hand Ejector Modified, Suggestions ??

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mic,

Such a great project. I'm not sure if anyone here has fabricated a Bapty sight lately, but member lostinperiphery might be able to put you on the right track. If nothing else, there are detailed diagrams within the thread:

viewtopic.php?t=69015&hilit=bapty+sight

More info:

viewtopic.php?t=72393

:TOH:
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

I did mine myself: not that I’m suggesting you do as I did, but, what I did: I used small pipe clamps to create a guide, then used a hacksaw to cut the barrel. 4D Rentals provides tools that you can rent and use, so I obtained a crown cutter tool from them; note: you have to specify caliber, they initially sent me a guide for a .458 which is too large. I obtained one of the sights that lostinperiphery had: the sight style is what’s known as a Baughman ramp sight, was quite popular back in the day.
IMG_1235.jpeg
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

IMG_2660.jpeg

I intentionally left my barrel a hair longer than the actual Bapty, as I didn’t like the way the muzzle on it was cut right off at the S in Smith&Wesson, preferring to have a character-space in front of it in choosing where to cut.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

LNBright wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:11 pm IMG_2660.jpeg

I intentionally left my barrel a hair longer than the actual Bapty, as I didn’t like the way the muzzle on it was cut right off at the S in Smith&Wesson, preferring to have a character-space in front of it in choosing where to cut.
That was a great choice, I think the space looks much better.

Very nice job!

Cheers,
Bear
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Thanks Cajun and LNBright, I'll look into this. LNBright how did you attach the sight to the barrel ?? I'm going to reach out to some locals and see what I can get done nearby, I have a feeling for what I want I'm going to have to send it out. Please keep the suggestions coming and the conversation going, very interested in what can be shared. :TOH:
LNBright
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LNBright »

The gunsmith I’d visited before had closed up shop; If I knew of a good one willing within a reasonable driving distance, I’d have had them use silver solder and put it on. As I’ve yet to find one nearby who comes recommended, I decided to try JB Weld: not that I would recommend such, but it worked for me, thus far. (I’ll admit, I have this fear of it popping off, hope that if it does, I can find it, and, if such does happen, I will expand my search for someone skilled in silver soldering.)