Herbert Johnson DoD

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Liberance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Herbert Johnson DoD

Post by Liberance »

Any of you guys with a Destiny hat who also own older hats can confirm if the color is a bit more burgundy compared to the Spielberg hats, as it seems in the movie?
Daniel Riser
Scoundrel

Post by Daniel Riser »

This was my first Herbert Johnson and I am madly in love. Michelle made a perfect hat that I will treasure forever.

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Where was that last picture taken? Is it green screened?
Daniel Riser
Scoundrel

Post by Daniel Riser »

IJJTM wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:24 pm Where was that last picture taken? Is it green screened?
I’m glad you have to ask! It isn’t green screened but it was photoshopped. The background image is from Tangiers
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Great looking hat and great DoD cosplay, Daniel! :clap: :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Daniel Riser
Scoundrel

Post by Daniel Riser »

bearbeast wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:29 am Great looking hat and great DoD cosplay, Daniel! :clap: :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks so much, Bear! I’ve beaten the jacket up A LOT more since this picture. I’ll share soon!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Awww yeah, looking forward to seeing it! The DoD jacket was really torn to shreds! :D
Daniel Riser
Scoundrel

Post by Daniel Riser »

I’ll post it tomorrow!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Overall, well put together look! Very cool :tup: , :tup: ! W>
dkjamerson
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dkjamerson »

jnicktem wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:10 pm I just passed the 5 month mark on the wait list, hopefully I’ll be soon!

Although I am thinking I might ask if they could treat the felt like they would a Raiders, meaning less stiff. I like my hats soft and smooth. Think they would do that for a DoD?

I finally got my Dod in and I'll get some pictures posted soon! I was expecting the hat to be very stiff like a cowboy hat, but it's very suple you can run your finger along the brim and it move in the floppy manner from raiders and as an in adventurebuilt's beaver felt. It is incredibly comfortable and is the nicest rabbit felt I've ever worn. The color does change in different lighting, tending to be darker in dark places but resembles the classic indy look in sunlight. I'll get some pictures posted asap! :TOH:
ChrisW
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ChrisW »

Feature of Michelle! Great job!!!! :TOH: :TOH: :TOH: :D :D :D :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T53d3DDmkw[/youtube]
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:33 pm Feature of Michelle! Great job!!!! :TOH: :TOH: :TOH: :D :D :D :D
Yes, we included it on our highlight page of her on the main site (which will be publicly viewable once we switch over). :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

So even though I got on the waiting list back in July, it looks like I have to possibly wait until next July to maybe get an HJ DoD fedora. Apparently a size 62 is too abnormal to work on until they get caught up with orders. Oh well.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:33 pm Feature of Michelle! Great job!!!! :TOH: :TOH: :TOH: :D :D :D :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T53d3DDmkw[/youtube]
Just now seeing this .... thanks for posting! Cool video! She's good! That is truly one cool Indy hat! Of course, I say that about (almost) all 'Indy hats', but this one does scream something special! Very cool! W>
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

jnicktem wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:47 pm So even though I got on the waiting list back in July, it looks like I have to possibly wait until next July to maybe get an HJ DoD fedora. Apparently a size 62 is too abnormal to work on until they get caught up with orders. Oh well.
That's a bummer. Is that what you were told or are you just thinking that might be the case? Either way, that's a long wait.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

IndianaJustin wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:10 pm
jnicktem wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:47 pm So even though I got on the waiting list back in July, it looks like I have to possibly wait until next July to maybe get an HJ DoD fedora. Apparently a size 62 is too abnormal to work on until they get caught up with orders. Oh well.
That's a bummer. Is that what you were told or are you just thinking that might be the case? Either way, that's a long wait.
When I hit the 6 month mark that I thought I needed to wait, I sent an email asking for an update. That’s when I found out that it will hopefully be by next summer. :cry:
Darthbauer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Darthbauer »

As someone with an even larger size head, that’s not very comforting to hear.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Yesterday I received my Herbert Johnson Destiny fedora right at the 6 months mark! After getting my Advintage CS Hero fedora just last week this may be the most intense and fantastic Indy gear weeks I ever had with all those longtime orders finally coming in. :D

Now to the hat, I have to say it looks even nicer in person than on pictures or even in the movie. The Nutmeg and Deep Sable colour combination is beautiful and the appearance seems to change a lot depending on the lightning. The colours also go along very well with the different shades of brown and beige of the Wested Destiny jacket and shirt.

The finish is very nice, compared to my other rabbit felt hats, the Advintage Harrison, Christy´s and Agnoulita Templar, it is smoother and the felt is also slightly thinner than the Harrison and a lot thinner than the Templar.
However, the real star of it all is the Poet blockshape! Now I can totally understand and see that it would make a perfect Raiders fedora.

On the other hand it is quite special for me to now finally own a Herbert Johnson fedora. Not just because they made the hat for the movie but I still remember how excited I was after reading about them for the first time on IndyFan in the late 90s when I was about 14. Back then I managed to save up some money over time and after a while I gathered all my confidence to pick up the phone to call them. I was quickly disappointed when Mr. Swales told me they weren´t in stock and wouldn´t be for quite a while. I then settled for a Wested Raiders jacket which I still have and love today and later looked into other hats as the the quality of HJ didn´t have the best reputation at this time.

Anyway, here are some pictures of it with my Dial of Destiny gear :whip:

Image Image

Image Image Image
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Another gorgeous lid! What a week you have had! :clap:

Love the whip shot too!

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Tremolo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:37 am
After getting my Advintage CS Hero fedora just last week this may be the most intense and fantastic Indy gear weeks I ever had with all those longtime orders finally coming in. :D
Seriously. What a week for you!

Congrats on your first HJ! Looks good on you. :TOH:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Thank you :D
I´m pretty sure I will remember that week for a long time!
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Tremolo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:37 am Yesterday I received my Herbert Johnson Destiny fedora right at the 6 months mark!
That hat is indiscernible from the film version. It’s really nice to see HJ back on its game. Looking really good! Just preparing for the long wait myself after placing an order a month or so ago.

In other news, it’s seemingly incredibly difficult to get hold of a beaver felt hat these days. I’ve gone for a rabbit HJ, but I’d eventually like to take the plunge on a beaver just so it would last more than a few years without needing a reblock.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

The DoD hat is really growing on me. Theselook great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Just got mine. Very happy with it. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Dang, that is beautiful. The colour is great!

Cheers,
Bear
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

I have to second that, the hat looks fantastic!
indianajohn007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianajohn007 »

This may be my next purchase. I plan on visiting them in December on my Christmas vacation.