History in Objects - Indy’s Leather Jacket!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

History in Objects - Indy’s Leather Jacket!

Post by Stefan Hills »

Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: History in Objects - Indy’s Leather Jacket!

Post by Iandiana Jones »

Like how they imply Indy has one jacket despite pointing out the differences between film jackets?

Or they say the Destiny jacket is the Raiders jacket, after pointing out how it was different than the Raiders jacket?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Kudos on another LFL mention!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Iandiana Jones wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:20 pm Like how they imply Indy has one jacket despite pointing out the differences between film jackets?

Or they say the Destiny jacket is the Raiders jacket, after pointing out how it was different than the Raiders jacket?
The way I read that, LFL is saying that in universe Indy only had one jacket (which even in universe makes no sense because in LC there’s no bullet hole in the sleeve), but in the real world there were creative changes made throughout.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:17 am
Iandiana Jones wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:20 pm Like how they imply Indy has one jacket despite pointing out the differences between film jackets?

The way I read that, LFL is saying that in universe Indy only had one jacket (which even in universe makes no sense because in LC there’s no bullet hole in the sleeve), but in the real world there were creative changes made throughout.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
he also lost his Jacket and Hat, and the rest of his gear on the Bantu Wind
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

I always thought the captain shipped his stuff back to him after the adventure.
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

Yea, if the dude's down to lie, for Indy, to some of the most evil people on the planet (Nazis), who also don't like other ethnicities, he's not keeping or throwing away Indy's stuff. He's shipping it to (Sallah? Who sends it to Indy) from the first reputable port-city.

Also, while we've opened this can of worms, I think that, like a lot of you, Indy has more than one hat, and I think he rotates them. I think he still has the Utah hat, but only trots it out on rare occasions (thereby keeping Army of the Dead* from creating a plothole). This would also explain his Destiny hat being a different color, and goes well with HJ's description, "like he bought it from us in 1969."

*for those who haven't read it, he explains to Mac how many times he's had it repaired, reblocked, recleaned, etc. What does he wear while that's happening? Arguably one of his grey ones but possibly one of his 4 (or more?) other brown ones.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

IJJTM wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:24 pm I always thought the captain shipped his stuff back to him after the adventure.
Yes he did. :lol:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4248/3485 ... 6acc_b.jpg
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Canyon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:37 pm
IJJTM wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:24 pm I always thought the captain shipped his stuff back to him after the adventure.
Yes he did. :lol:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4248/3485 ... 6acc_b.jpg
Sallah has nice handwriting!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

And if he only had one jacket, he’d have two repairs, that poor left arm.
So ya, he had a style and brought over the years, it was the mfg. who changed specs, just like they do in today’s market.

Croft :mrgreen:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Although the explanation of a single jacket is ludicrous at every level since its just a movie, I personally like the fact that they included the hole in the arm from Raiders.

The movie is flawed but I appreciate the effort that went into the legacy and the character that James Mangold injected into it.

M
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Are we meant to take it that the jacket hole in the left sleeve in Dial IS from Raiders as the article said then? Not from Basil's shooting him on the train in Germany? Until this article came out I'd been under the idea that they'd ignored the Raiders hole and gone to Shaw in the movie having shot him, but then this article appears to confirm that it was the hole from Raiders? Is it a little clever change up, or was that the idea all along?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I went back through the film to check as well as I could, and the hole pretty certainly ain't there until he's shot by the misshot from Shaw...So it's interesting that now Lucasfilm wants to have the Raiders hole make sense as the "history" instead....I mean, it's cool either way, I don't care too much, they never paid a mind to it before, but....It's interesting as a change, no? There's been a few along the line with this film, as if they're set on making it go one way, then do it, and realise they could help a lot of (us) fans by saying it was something else, all along? Might just be me being old and paranoid....LOL...... :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I have come to the conclusion that with Indy, his things, lifestyle, etc. -- its all up for grabs! Let's be real! Over the course of the five films -- his hats do change... his jackets do change... etc. Heck in TOD even his bag changes! In real life, I would find it most odd if a person such as Indy had the exact same hat, jacket, etc. to use for each and every adventure. People like certain styles, fits, looks, etc. Indy being the same -- likes what he likes and matches his likes/styles, as he can as time moves on! Just my two cents! Indy is supposed to be a real person and real people change -- some not as much over time, as others, but they still change up on the 'this and that's' of their own choosing's! W>
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

fifthchamber wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:51 pm Might just be me being old and paranoid....LOL...... :TOH:
Speaking of paranoid, hope you all got physical copies. Because if LF ever catches wind of this convo, with 8 hours and a computer they'll add that gunshot repair to Crusade, Kingdom, and the first part of Dial.

It is Lucasfilm afterall, try and find an unaltered Star Wars trilogy these days...
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

fifthchamber wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:21 pm Are we meant to take it that the jacket hole in the left sleeve in Dial IS from Raiders as the article said then? Not from Basil's shooting him on the train in Germany? Until this article came out I'd been under the idea that they'd ignored the Raiders hole and gone to Shaw in the movie having shot him, but then this article appears to confirm that it was the hole from Raiders? Is it a little clever change up, or was that the idea all along?
From the article; "It’s not an homage to the earlier film, but a piece of continuity, and a reminder that, for Indy, this is his one and only jacket."

This kinda baffled me too. It's very poorly worded (someone needs to remove the comma from this writer's keyboard) and almost intentionally ambiguous. Personally I've always been tickled by the silly notion that "in-universe" it's been the same jacket and hat through all the films, so I do like the suggestion that it's the bullet hole from Raiders. But even if we ignore the fact that it's absent in LC, they show us how the hole occurred in the DoD train flashback. So it's less of a nod to Raiders and becomes more of an odd coincidence that Indy gets shot in the same place twice. Sounds like either they want to have their cake and eat it too, or the writer of the article just threw it in there because they liked the idea and didn't think it through. We are literally the only group of people on earth that would be bothered by this, but it is a little embarrassing considering the article was published by LFL themselves. Ultimately, I think it's just bad copy and should have been more professionally edited.
Last edited by Indiana Jon on Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Maybe they intended it as a nod to Raiders but then realized they needed an in-story solution to having it as it wouldn't make sense for it to reappear.

Personally, my favorite nod to Raiders is the Nazi getting run over during the chase.
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Mike wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:32 am Maybe they intended it as a nod to Raiders but then realized they needed an in-story solution to having it as it wouldn't make sense for it to reappear.

Personally, my favorite nod to Raiders is the Nazi getting run over during the chase.
That's possible, but still kinda sloppy.

Yes, I like that bit too. I noticed that on my second viewing.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The only real thing I raised my eyebrow over was the comment DN ‘collaborated! with Peter Botwright to create the original jacket. :-k

Thirty years ago she stated publicly many times she never HEARD of Peter or Wested, and that all work was done through the main costume company sub contractors. She never dealt directly with any of them.

It was during the time she insisted Fords boots worn in Raiders were Redwings.

Amazing how memories ‘sharpen’ with time. ;)

Honestly, I have nothing but deep respect for her work and place in history in the franchise….but it’s still stuck in my craw how she berated us by email for details we KNEW were wrong and had photographic proof to the contrary….. and now in the past few years she’s recalling those things differently.

As to ignoring details and complete changes in jacket patterns over 5 films…..oh well. That’s their story and they’re sticking to it…..for now.

I, too, congratulate Stefan for being quoted in the LFL world!

Regards. Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Michaelson wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:29 pm The only real thing I raised my eyebrow over was the comment DN ‘collaborated! with Peter Botwright to create the original jacket. :-k

Thirty years ago she stated publicly many times she never HEARD of Peter or Wested, and that all work was done through the main costume company sub contractors. She never dealt directly with any of them.
Agreed. I was reading this more as the author's supposition instead of DNL stating it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Based on that premise, we could also surmise everything else in this article is supposition too. ;) :Plymouth:

Regards! M