Us wings russet jacket question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indy_Dave
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Us wings russet jacket question

Post by Indy_Dave »

This is an idea I've had percolating. I would like a light cowhide jacket and I like the look of the russet brown jacket that US Wings offers. I was wondering if you could take that jacket and apply a dark brown dye to it. Then, as it got worn spots you would have the russet color coming through for those brown undertones we all love.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Us wings russet jacket question

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The concept seems reasonable. As always, best to test this on a part of the jacket not readily seen. I suppose depending on the dyes (the russet and whatever color you choose), when the jacket wears, both colors could rub off together showing the color under the russet layer. The new dye would have to "sit" on top of the russet layer and not penetrate into the leather itself.

I did a quick and dirty search on leather dyes and it seems oil based dyes are preferred for both finish and the alcohol based dyes can dry out the leather. Plenty of members here had done all sorts of dyeing projects so search around some more to see their results.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indy_Dave
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Dave »

Thanks for the reply! I've pecarded jackets before, of course, but not familiar with dying jackets that much.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well Picards does have a brown gel you could try, hidden spot first.
I’ve used some when I’ve over done it, and it brings it back to a point I can live with, and I love working on my jackets.

Croft :mrgreen: